Cliche time.

Sep 12, 2008
A little exercise in create writing, no more than four paragraphs, where you take a cliche and run with it in a new direction.

Or take something awful, and make a glorious silk purse out of a sow's ear.

for starters:

It was a dark and stormy knight who stood before the great fireplace at Castle Wolfenwald. He had brought his choice of a husband for his daughter and she had immediately barricaded herself in her chamber. The servants reported the sounds of large amounts of furniture being moved in front of the door.

The knight had responded by placing a guard at the base of the tower where her chamber lay, and had forbidden the servants from bringing her any food while she refused to obey her father, but they reported she had heard the groom was on the way, and she had laid in provision.
In addition, the guard at the base of the tower reported she was a very good aim with the contents of her chamber pot......

"It is a cliche that most cliches are true, but then like most cliches, that cliche is untrue." Stephen Fry

Daring speculation too intricate and exalted mental elasticity focused deep rooted convictions and petty malice at the gross injustices and even legitimate desires painfully prevalent in our ostentatious heroes whose impressive language and newfangled notions transpired as many suspected into conflicting accusations and manifold inequities so blatantly obvious in conspicuous examples that either inadequate treatment or fawning praise meant hard facts and rival claimants seemed like headstrong youths absolutely refusing the truly admirable spellbinding ingeniousness and well matured convictions prevalent in the impassioned yet authenticated testimony.

Lately I have found myself using more cliches in replies on USMB, weird as they now come back with a new freshness.

Above gained a little help from the 'Putnam Handbook of Expression,' Carr, 1915. I have original copy, see nothing really changes.

"The cliche is dead poetry." Gerald Brenan

"Every cliche about kids is true; they grow up so quickly, you blink and they're gone, and you have to spend the time with them now. But that's a joy." Liam Neeson

I ran from the cliche' but the cliche' always hunted me.

The cliche' is true, because we are all the same humanity.

All the same prey of pretense.

Even a runner like me.

And you.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back