Cleveland Quakes

PixieStix

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2009
Cleveland really rocked today, for real

5.0 quake in Canada felt in Northeast Ohio - Yahoo! News

A 5.5 magnitude earthquake out of Ontario, Canada, was felt in Northeast Ohio and at least as far south as Cincinnati.

I actually felt this quake. My son says he though someone had hit the house with a van or truck. I am looking for cracks in the foundation, and walls :eusa_pray:

There is an large crack in one of the streets I travel on, on my way to work, that was NOT there when I went to work this morning

The storm was very loud, but I didn't feel an earthquake and I'm only an hour south of Cleveland.

5.0! :lol: That's a baby quake.

I lived through the World Series Quake in the SF Bay Area and that was 7.1. The scale is exponential so a 5.0 is hardly a quake at all to those of us who have lived in California.

Earthquake Strength - Earthquakes - Forces of Nature

Basically, this scale is exponential, so that each number is many times the strength of the number below it. An earthquake with a magnitude of 2.0 is hardly felt, while a 5.0 earthquake releases the same amount of energy as that of the Hiroshima atomic bomb. An 8.0-level earthquake is so devastating that few buildings, roads, and people will escape its effects. Originally, Charles Richter took the smallest-size earthquake he could record at the time and gave it a magnitude of 0. Because today’s instruments are so much more sensitive, scientists can detect even smaller earthquakes that are given negative magnitudes. The highest Richter earthquakes were measured at 9.0.

Richter Scale

Magnitude Damage
4 This magnitude earthquake is widely felt and is strong enough to crack plaster.
5 A strong vibration shakes the earth, damaging chimneys and weak buildings.
6 This earthquake is strong enough to badly damage average buildings.
7 This earthquake is strong enough to destroy even well-built structures.
8 Even special, earthquake-resistant buildings will be badly damaged.
9 There is widespread destruction.

1989 Loma Prieta earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Loma Prieta earthquake, also known as the Quake of '89 and the World Series Earthquake,[4] was a major earthquake that struck the San Francisco Bay Area of California on October 17, 1989, at 5:04 p.m. local time. Caused by a slip along the San Andreas Fault, the temblor lasted 10–15 seconds[1] and measured 6.9 on the moment magnitude scale[5] (surface-wave magnitude 7.1) or 6.9 on the open ended Richter Scale.[1] The quake killed 63[2] people throughout northern California, injured 3,757[3] and left some 3,000-12,000[1][6][7][8] people homeless.

Now that was an earthquake! The first time I ever "moved" during an earthquake and by the time it was done, I was under my desk.

If you look at the wiki site the picture in the upper right hand corner is not of a wall, but of a collapsed freeway that I used to take all the time.

The Haiti Quake last year was about the same size as the Loma Prieta Quake, but because of their infrastructure, they took the hit much harder than the SF Bay Area did.

5.0? I kind of miss the vibrations. :)

Immie

The armpit of Ohio.

The quake must have been caused by underground nuke testing by Canada.

Or maybe we have NK subs coming up the St. Laurence? :eek:

LOL, yes i think a 5.0 is a baby shaker. But it is a strange feeling if you arent prepared for it. Glad your ok PS

I love earthquakes! I think the feeling is amazing.

The U.S. Geological Survey just posted that the quake was centered at Ontario-Quebec border region in Cananda at 1:41 p.m. The depth of the quake was reported out of 11.9 miles.

I didn't feel it because Maine is nowhere near Cananda.

LOL, yes i think a 5.0 is a baby shaker. But it is a strange feeling if you arent prepared for it. Glad your ok PS

I live in a 140 year old house, I was a little concerned

I tend to have that effect on women sometimes.

Sorry 'bout that. I'll try to control the..errr...activity better next time and tone it down.

Do you remember what kind of quake it was? A bump? Jerking side to side? Rolling? Its a very strange feeling, but i like it.

Yeah that's an old house and i would be concerned too.

Do you remember what kind of quake it was? A bump? Jerking side to side? Rolling? Its a very strange feeling, but i like it.

Rolling and thumping

Cleveland really rocked today, for real

5.0 quake in Canada felt in Northeast Ohio - Yahoo! News

A 5.5 magnitude earthquake out of Ontario, Canada, was felt in Northeast Ohio and at least as far south as Cincinnati.

I actually felt this quake. My son says he though someone had hit the house with a van or truck. I am looking for cracks in the foundation, and walls :eusa_pray:

There is an large crack in one of the streets I travel on, on my way to work, that was NOT there when I went to work this morning

I'm about 70 miles south of Cleveland, didn't fee lit but saw it on the news...

Rolling and thumping

How are you feeling now, calmed down some? I hope it hasn't freaked you out to much. *hugs*

No, I am alright. Truthfully, it was kind of cool :lol: I am still looking around my house for any signs of cracks or shifting though. It is a pretty large house. Thank you :cool:

Rolling and thumping

How are you feeling now, calmed down some? I hope it hasn't freaked you out to much. *hugs*

No, I am alright. Truthfully, it was kind of cool :lol: I am still looking around my house for any signs of cracks or shifting though. It is a pretty large house. Thank you :cool:

Welcome hun. It takes my mum days to calm back down, so I understand. keep an eye on your pips for leaks, older pipes sometimes don't like that kind of jolting. Don't forget sprinkler pipes as they are in the ground. :)

:lol: Really glad you thought i was cool.

Forum List

Back