Cleveland Doctor: 38 Animals Killed After Despicable Neglect Reported

Animal cruelty sickens me, I can't bear to even go to the link. Here, I got a sick Chihuahua that I've spent $400 these past few weeks to get better and these people who live in pricey neighborhoods do this, those who do things like this should be thrown in a dungeon!

This just outrages me. Read the comments as well...Solon is a pricey Cleveland suburban city, and the conduct of the neighbors, the cops, the vets, the animal hospital, even the newspaper is just bad, ranging downwards to horrific.

Solon couple face criminal charges after leaving 38 animals home alone; animal warden orders the pets killed | cleveland.com

I leave my animals home alone everyday and most weekends.

Euthanized because they had fleas? Are you serious? Never heard of a flea collar?

Last edited:
  • Banned
It is possible the animals were euthanized because they were in such bad shape they could not be saved, but I suspect the influx of so many animals (especially birds) overwhelmed the animal shelter and they were killed for budget reasons.

These animals were not left alone for eight hours, Lonestar. The entire family locked them up in a house with the a/c off and went on a vacation. This is the most revolting crime story I have read about the Cleveland area since they arrested Anthony Sowell (who had the bodies of 11 murdered women in his house).

What I cannot understand is the comments. There were three adults in this house, and another adult child had recently moved out. Why aren't people calling for the arrest of these people? Is it a "crime" in East Cleveland but a "mental disorder" in Solon? (East Cleveland is the poorest city in the Greater Cleveland area.)

It is possible the animals were euthanized because they were in such bad shape they could not be saved, but I suspect the influx of so many animals (especially birds) overwhelmed the animal shelter and they were killed for budget reasons.

These animals were not left alone for eight hours, Lonestar. The entire family locked them up in a house with the a/c off and went on a vacation. This is the most revolting crime story I have read about the Cleveland area since they arrested Anthony Sowell (who had the bodies of 11 murdered women in his house).

What I cannot understand is the comments. There were three adults in this house, and another adult child had recently moved out. Why aren't people calling for the arrest of these people? Is it a "crime" in East Cleveland but a "mental disorder" in Solon? (East Cleveland is the poorest city in the Greater Cleveland area.)

I'm going by what was reported and it stated that all but one parakeet was euthanized because they had fleas. But let's say your right and they were killed because of budgetary reasons, does that mean it would be ok for people to simply kill their pets when they can no longer afford them?

WhenI talked about leaving my animals home alone I was being a tad facetious, my animals consist of three horses, a couple hundred head of cattle and two dogs.

What the family did was a crime I will admit that but what the city done was just as criminal.

• Banned
O c'mon now. "Just as criminal"? You cannot mean that, Lonestar. According to the neighbors, none of the dogs had EVER been outdoors. The house had a carpet of feces inches thick. The flea infestation was so bad, it began in the yard and the cops and animal control had to wear hazmat suits to extract the animals. We both know it is very likely that house will have to be torn down; no repair work can ever make it habitable again.

And what about the three minor children living there? The conditions were so bad, most animal control workers here had never seen anything like them. Is it not "more criminal" to keep children in such conditions?

O c'mon now. "Just as criminal"? You cannot mean that, Lonestar. According to the neighbors, none of the dogs had EVER been outdoors. The house had a carpet of feces inches thick. The flea infestation was so bad, it began in the yard and the cops and animal control had to wear hazmat suits to extract the animals. We both know it is very likely that house will have to be torn down; no repair work can ever make it habitable again.

And what about the three minor children living there? The conditions were so bad, most animal control workers here had never seen anything like them. Is it not "more criminal" to keep children in such conditions?

Sure I mean that, killing an animal simply because they had fleas is criminal. I'm not suggesting they leave the animals and or the children in that environment, something clearly had to be done, but killing an animal simply because they had fleas is ludicrous.

My animals aquire all kinds of parasites especially in the summer months, do I euthanize them? Of Course not I take measures to eradicate the parasites and prevent reinfestation. And as for the house having to be destroyed, I think a good clean up team could clean the house and rid it of fleas. That is if the house is even worth saving.

• Banned
Well, I think the parents both need long prison terms. And the adult kids need to be looked at hard as well..unless they have an insanity defense, they should get prosecuted too.

The City of Chicago is busy charging a mother with a homicide for the death of an infant in virtually the same conditions as were found in this Cleveland home. I find it revolting that when rich people commit henious acts, it's excused as a "mental disorder" but when poor people do them, it's a crime.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/08/overwhelmed-mother-left-twins-in-deplorable-conditions.html

Last edited:
Well, I think the parents both need long prison terms. And the adult kids need to be looked at hard as well..unless they have an insanity defense, they should get prosecuted too.

So you want to throw the folks in prison for animal abuse but do nothing to those that killed the animals. Interesting.

What I didn't understand about the article was that it stated something about the owners not being financially able to get rid of all those pets. And I wonder how is that possible? Now I may have misunderstood that part but it seemed to me that these folks either wanted or tried to get rid of these animals but coudn't afford to.

I'm not sure what should happen to the vets or animal control people who euthanized these animals, Lonestar. It's a little hard to believe they committed crimes, though...and it's impossible for me to believe the owners did not.

I didn't understand the part about "not being able to afford to get rid of the animals". To the best of my knowledge, anyone can drop an animal off at a shelter here, free of charge. It also doesn't explain how 38 animals came to be there to begin with.

I'm not sure what should happen to the vets or animal control people who euthanized these animals, Lonestar. It's a little hard to believe they committed crimes, though...and it's impossible for me to believe the owners did not.

I didn't understand the part about "not being able to afford to get rid of the animals". To the best of my knowledge, anyone can drop an animal off at a shelter here, free of charge. It also doesn't explain how 38 animals came to be there to begin with.

I think the owners are criminal without a doubt, you don't leave animals like that to fend for themselves for that length of time. I also feel that animal control was criminal in how they dealt with the animals after they were supposedly rescued.

Seriously? You think the Solon cops should arrest the Solon animal control and Solon cops who extracted and euthanized these animals? On what charge?

Arresting them may be to harsh, I would fine them then show them the unemployment line. On the chagre of animal cruelty I suppose, I mean you can't just kill an animal because it has fleas.

Well, like I said it's possible the animals couldn't be saved. That happens. But if they euthanized them because there was no room at the shelter, so what? T'aint criminal. I like animals too, Lonestar, but be realistic.

Well, like I said it's possible the animals couldn't be saved. That happens. But if they euthanized them because there was no room at the shelter, so what? T'aint criminal. I like animals too, Lonestar, but be realistic.

I am realistic. What your saying is that it's perfectly ok to kill an animal when you don't have room for it. And these people that are accused of animal cruelty would have been better off just killing all these animals. I don't buy it, I mean 30 plus dogs don't need a luxery suite, give them a fenced in yard with a lean-to and fresh water, buy a 50 pound bag of Ol'Roy (which I wouldn't recommend but it would do the job and it's very cheap) and feed them once a day while you try to find them a good home.

You're assuming facts not in evidence. The article stated the reason these animals were euthanized and the reason they gave were because they had fleas. Now if more evidence surfaces that shows these animals had more serious problems then I would certainly rethink my position. But as it stands killing a dog because it has fleas or they didn't have shelter is just lame.

Well, perhaps you are right. If so, doubtless heads will roll. I just wish I could be as confident that the humans who created this horror show would get prison time.

Forum List

Back