Cleveland Area Social Workers Dies After Attacked By Teen Client

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
CUYAHOGA COUNTY, OH (WOIO) - An investigation is underway after a Children Services worker died days after being attacked by a teen client.

The attack happened last Thursday in Tashia Burch-York's office at the Edna Jane Hunter Building on Euclid.

Burch-York died suddenly Tuesday, nearly one week after the attack.

The Cuyahoga County Coroner's Office tells 19 Action News that their autopsy has been completed and there were no signs of trauma to the body. The body remains in study and the investigation is ongoing.

The Cuyahoga County executive's office issued the following statement:

It is with sadness that we report the death of Cuyahoga County Department of Children and Family Services employee Tashia Burch-York. Tashia had been a valued member of the Children and Family Services team for 16 years as a supervisor in the adoption department. Her colleagues remember her kindness and her passion for placing the children under the county's care in permanent homes.

The cause of death is being investigated by the coroner's office. Tashia was involved in an incident on Feb, 17, 2011 at the county's Jane Edna Hunter building, 3955 Euclid Ave., where she was assaulted by a youth. The incident is the subject of an ongoing investigation by the Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Office. It is not known at this time if there is a connection between the incident and Tashia's death yesterday.

http://woio.images.worldnow.com/images/14083763_BG2.jpg

She was only 42 years old, and leaves a family.

I hate to capitalize on the suffering of her loved ones, but can I hear less about "useless government workers" today, please?

What a horrific story. I wonder what killed her...could she have had heart damage from the attack and not known?

Last edited:
CUYAHOGA COUNTY, OH (WOIO) - An investigation is underway after a Children Services worker died days after being attacked by a teen client.

The attack happened last Thursday in Tashia Burch-York's office at the Edna Jane Hunter Building on Euclid.

Burch-York died suddenly Tuesday, nearly one week after the attack.

The Cuyahoga County Coroner's Office tells 19 Action News that their autopsy has been completed and there were no signs of trauma to the body. The body remains in study and the investigation is ongoing.

The Cuyahoga County executive's office issued the following statement:

It is with sadness that we report the death of Cuyahoga County Department of Children and Family Services employee Tashia Burch-York. Tashia had been a valued member of the Children and Family Services team for 16 years as a supervisor in the adoption department. Her colleagues remember her kindness and her passion for placing the children under the county's care in permanent homes.

The cause of death is being investigated by the coroner's office. Tashia was involved in an incident on Feb, 17, 2011 at the county's Jane Edna Hunter building, 3955 Euclid Ave., where she was assaulted by a youth. The incident is the subject of an ongoing investigation by the Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Office. It is not known at this time if there is a connection between the incident and Tashia's death yesterday.

http://woio.images.worldnow.com/images/14083763_BG2.jpg

She was only 42 years old, and leaves a family.

I hate to capitalize on the suffering of her loved ones, but can I hear less about "useless government workers" today, please?

What a horrific story. I wonder what killed her...could she have had heart damage from the attack and not known?

Gosh I don't know...could be a blood clot, internal bleeding, brain trauma and I'm sure there are other possibilities.

I get a kick out of people who think people in human services do it for the money. Child welfare workers make about $1000 more a month than me and have to work on call as well. It's not a of dough. Better than many jobs out there, but so heartbreaking, and dangerous a.s well

The NJ DYFS will not longer allow social workers to visit certain homes alone. Teachers, on the other hand, can be ordered to provide home instruction for students who are too dangerous to be in the classroom.

• Banned
5.1.gif

This is crimes against teachers committed in the school, chanel. I couldn't find more recent data than 2003...I assume it has gotten worse in the past 8 years.

We put teachers into situations a trained prison guard wouldn't try to handle alone.

Forum List

Back