Clear Channel Drops Stern on FCC Threat

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
** Just thought that I would point out that Stern was only on 6 CC stations, this isn't his entire program which is mostly broadcast by Infinity. **

WASHINGTON - The nation's largest radio chain dropped the country's best-known shock jock Thursday after federal regulators proposed fining it $495,000 for sexually explicit material on the Howard Stern show.

As part of its stepped-up enforcement of indecency regulations, a unanimous Federal Communications Commission (news - web sites) fined Clear Channel Communications the maximum $27,500 for each of 18 alleged violations. Regulators departed from their norm by citing Clear Channel for multiple violations in a single broadcast rather than simply issuing a single fine for an entire show.

John Hogan, president of Clear Channel Radio, said the government's crackdown on indecency has gotten his company's attention.

"Mr. Stern's show has created a great liability for us and other broadcasters who air it," said Hogan, who suspended Stern in February from the six Clear Channel stations that carried him. "The Congress and the FCC (news - web sites) are even beginning to look at revoking station licenses. That's a risk we're just not willing to take."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ap_on_go_ot/fcc_howard_stern&cid=513&ncid=716

Originally posted by acludem
Janet's tit strikes again! This is government censorship at its worst.

acludem

B.S. Howard's right to say titty and boner is irrelevant.

Originally posted by clumzgirl
I didn't say he was liberal. I said he was immoral.

I know. I just like to try and get a rise out of libs by calling stern their spokesmen!

I am too busy listening to Lex and Terry to pay attention to Howard Stern, so I have no idea what he siad to get in so much trouble, but lately I've bee hearing him rail about how the world is ending, presumably because he can't say "fuck" on the radio.

Howard Stern has been straddling the line for years, but thanks to the outrage at the Janet Jackson fiasco, they're cracking down on him.

Originally posted by clumzgirl
I didn't say he was liberal. I said he was immoral.

Isn't that the same thing? (j/k :D)

im surprised people still listen to him when there are better alternatives on the radio like Glenn Beck (although i know Glenn doesnt compete with all of Howards time slot)

I love Glenn Beck. I actually got to speak on the air a short time ago when he was talking about Yassin getting assassinated. If you remember, I was the guy who brought up how Hamas was passing out candy and dancing in the streets on 9/11, meaning that all this stuff about how bad it is that he's dead is utter bullcrap.

Hey that is pretty cool Hobbit. Glenn Beck is new in my area, only a couple of month. I do enjoy his show. I don't think I caught your call.

Originally posted by Hobbit
I love Glenn Beck. I actually got to speak on the air a short time ago when he was talking about Yassin getting assassinated. If you remember, I was the guy who brought up how Hamas was passing out candy and dancing in the streets on 9/11, meaning that all this stuff about how bad it is that he's dead is utter bullcrap.

Sadly i havent caught his show lately. been working during that time slot. Ill just have to settle with talking to him when i see him around.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
im surprised people still listen to him when there are better alternatives on the radio like Glenn Beck (although i know Glenn doesnt compete with all of Howards time slot)

Glen kicks ass. He's a genius. I've never heard anyone with such a great verbal ability and facile mind.

I used to catch Glenn Beck every now and again, but his show is on earlier and I work evenings so I usually sleep through it. He was a decent host, and at least allowed for discussion including from people he disagreed with. Have any of you ever listened to Neal Boortz? He's a libertarian out of Atlanta, very interesting. I only agree with him sometimes, but he's funny.

acludem

Forum List

Back