Clean air or jobs?

Huckleburry said:
You asked for the definition (look at your earlier posts).
Land distribution is done by the government.

Please answer the question. Saying 'the goverment' does not mean anything - nothing at all.
I am looking for the mechanism by which the land distribution occurs. Here are some examples:

1-Sell the land by auction maybe. Which type of auction?
2-Have a lottery. Who gets to participate?
3-Give the land to the indigenous people? How is indigenous defined?
4-Have a land rush.

You can think of some more I hope.

This step, the first one, is crucially important. You can only move on from this step AFTER the land is redistributed. As I understand it, the first assumption of your argument is that the land is currently distributed inefficiently. What mechanism will you use to do it better?

I will not accept 'the government' for an answer.

I am in still in the process of working on a mechanism. Before my last trip to SA I was thought it should be given to localities and then having localities decide. Yet I am not sure of the results that such a policy would yield. There is a strong history of resource distribution through very local governance however I am not sure how strong that legacy is today or how effective it would be at yielding realitivly equal distribution.

Huckleburry said:
I am in still in the process of working on a mechanism. Before my last trip to SA I was thought it should be given to localities and then having localities decide. Yet I am not sure of the results that such a policy would yield. There is a strong history of resource distribution through very local governance however I am not sure how strong that legacy is today or how effective it would be at yielding realitivly equal distribution.

Hey everybody. Huck's working on a mechanism. I wonder if it involves tinfoil? :tinfoil:

Huckleburry said:
Wow, you came to these conclusions all on your own? Man you should apply for a job with them...I hear they pay well.
Cheers
Huck

What about your conclusions and "mechanisms" hugh, hugh, HUGH? Don't come here with nothing punk!

Huckleburry said:
Wow, you came to these conclusions all on your own? Man you should apply for a job with them...I hear they pay well.
Cheers
Huck

Please stay on topic. Ignore the taunting and be an economist.

Development Economics is a field in need of new life, but you writing a fictional story about 'Integrative Conservation' sounds more like some Ayn Rand junk than real economics.

Said1 said:
Well aren't you precious. :happy2:

I just feel like Huck is about to give up on us. I am trying to keep him thinking positive and posting about economics.

I will not abandon this all together. I have alot of work this week and I am heading to Argentina on wednesday so my time line has been compacted.

The theory is not a fictional story. It is divided into two broad sections. The First is developmental Growth Theory. The second is a story that accompanies that theory. The world of the fiction is governd by the rules of the theory. I try to play out the theory in to see if it will work. The last time I was down in CR we made a some recomendations to a real estate project. We let the overall rules govern our proposal and it worked. For the moment though I have bigger fish to fry.

Huckleburry said:
I will not abandon this all together. I have alot of work this week and I am heading to Argentina on wednesday so my time line has been compacted.

The theory is not a fictional story. It is divided into two broad sections. The First is developmental Growth Theory. The second is a story that accompanies that theory. The world of the fiction is governd by the rules of the theory. I try to play out the theory in to see if it will work. The last time I was down in CR we made a some recomendations to a real estate project. We let the overall rules govern our proposal and it worked. For the moment though I have bigger fish to fry.

What are the rules?

What was this real estate project?

What were your suggestions?

What metrics let you know you were successful?

Huckleburry said:

Ayn thought her fictions were based on workable theories as well.

You do not need to write fiction to prove your theory - math, baby, math. Try classes in Diff Eq's and Real Analysis then read, and understand, Romer's Macro text (a good intro level macro theory book). Then you can start proposing workable growth theory. As you hopefully know, economics requires that the model work mathematically, or will be thrown out. 'Integrative Conservation' is at best a political economy theory and it is just that - theory. Stop trying to BS me with your economics mumbo jumbo - I am not confused by it.

What are the rules? And not in words - what are the functions that define the economy? What changes are you making to the traditional growth theory models and the assumptions that go with them? What is the impact mathematically that these changes have?

Example:

Starting with a Solow Growth model -

Y(t) = F(K(t), A(t)*L(t))

And assuming that the production has constant returns to scale and using a Cobb-Douglas production for the model...

...my assumptions about the stock of capital and how it changes over time are different than the traditional Solow...

... solving the system, the First Order Conditions are...

(End of example)

This is economics. Please use some to answer my questions.

elephant said:
Ayn thought her fictions were based on workable theories as well.

You do not need to write fiction to prove your theory - math, baby, math. Try classes in Diff Eq's and Real Analysis then read, and understand, Romer's Macro text (a good intro level macro theory book). Then you can start proposing workable growth theory. As you hopefully know, economics requires that the model work mathematically, or will be thrown out. 'Integrative Conservation' is at best a political economy theory and it is just that - theory. Stop trying to BS me with your economics mumbo jumbo - I am not confused by it.

What are the rules? And not in words - what are the functions that define the economy? What changes are you making to the traditional growth theory models and the assumptions that go with them? What is the impact mathematically that these changes have?

Example:

Starting with a Solow Growth model -

Y(t) = F(K(t), A(t)*L(t))

And assuming that the production has constant returns to scale and using a Cobb-Douglas production for the model...

...my assumptions about the stock of capital and how it changes over time are different than the traditional Solow...

... solving the system, the First Order Conditions are...

(End of example)

This is economics. Please use some to answer my questions.

**more crickets chirping***

You rock by the way! :clap:

I think one thing people aren't seeing is that our jobs aren't moving to China, they are already there. Just go into any of you local big box retailers and I dare you to find a product that was not made in China. You'll have a hard time doing that. Now since China has zero pollution regulations (relatively speaking) I think they should be the first country on the clean up hit list. Yes the US needs to do better, and we will. I think it's time the rest of the world starts carrying some of the burden.

Forum List

Back