Classical music

Status
Not open for further replies.
My god, man, have a little patience!

Classical Music ROCKS. I think I could say, after Heavy Metal and Rock n Roll it's by far my favourite type of music. There's just so much variety in, so much diversity through the ages and so many applications to it, and if you include Opera within it, wow, so many absolute great pieces. It's good music to even HEADBANG to, so much of it has this INTENSITY that argh, can't really describe it. Here's some of my favourites:

- J. S. Bach
- Edvard Grieg
- Antonin Dvorak
- Tchaikovsky
- Freddy Chopin
- Modest Mussorgsky
- Georges Bizet
- Giachinno Rossini
- Guiseppe Verdi

And of course, good ol Wolfgang and Luddy Van Beet, and a myriad of others I'm forgetting at the moment. Symphony "From The New World" and Beethoven's 9th and 6th, and the Piano Concerto #1, and just so much good shit. My favourite opera is by far Carmen, though the Barber of Seville is a close second, and Turandot and the Marriage of Figaro and Don Giovanni, oh man, there's just too much to really put it in a post.

And then there's of course the huge classical-inspired epic metal (neo-classical metal and symphonic metal, etc) scene nowadays and the virtuosi that draw so much from it and so yeah, classical music = badass.

Vivaldi is another good one.

Classical music has a passion that many others don't seem to have, perhaps it's just that the music is more stirring because we're not focusing on lyrics and things such as that. It's timeless as well. What was incredible a hundred years ago will be just as incredible and amazing a hundred years from now.

I am not by any stretch of the imagination an avid classical music fan, but I sure do enjoy it when I do listen to it.

Immie

Can I reasonably categorize Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Copeland, Sibelius, and those other 20th Century orchetral composers who were taught by the likes of Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Kosakov, etc. as "Classical" or does the music have to actually be composed during the "Classical Era" of music?

Can I reasonably categorize Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Copeland, Sibelius, and those other 20th Century orchetral composers who were taught by the likes of Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Kosakov, etc. as "Classical" or does the music have to actually be composed during the "Classical Era" of music?

Well, "Classical Music" can usually be interpreted as just a convenient moniker for a very broad array of various [sometimes immensely different] genres and styles of European 'art music' for the past 1000 or so years. I mean, there's also that 1750-1820 "Classical period" or golden age, but I think we can reasonable conclude that when we talk of "Classical Music" you can draw from the whole array and not just from the strictly "Classical period", unless otherwise stated/implied.

Well, "Classical Music" can usually be interpreted as just a convenient moniker for a very broad array of various [sometimes immensely different] genres and styles of European 'art music' for the past 1000 or so years. I mean, there's also that 1750-1820 "Classical period" or golden age, but I think we can reasonable conclude that when we talk of "Classical Music" you can draw from the whole array and not just from the strictly "Classical period", unless otherwise stated/implied.

Well then.

I love the 20th Century composers like the above stated. Especially Copeland and Prokofiev who weren't too experimental or dark (like Stravinsky and Shostakovich - though I still love them, too.) I love Leonard (not Elmer) Bernstein, Debussy, Schumann, Vaughn-Williams, Barber (of course, everyone loves Barber's Adagio for Strings).

My favorite peices of all time:

Prokofiev's Piano Concertos, especially #3. The Alexander Nevsky score, paricularly the movement "The Field of the Dead" and the Lt. Kije score. Symphony #5.

Copeland's Piano Concerto #1, 3rd Symphony, the Organ Symphony, Appalacian Spring and Billy the Kid.

Stravinsky's Firebird Suite, The Rite of Spring, and Petrushka.

Shostakovich's Violin Concerto #1, Cello Concerto #1, Symphonies #5, #9, #10, and #12.

Barber's "Overture to The School for Scandal", the Adagio for Strings, and Serenade Op. 1, and Violin Concerto

Schumann's Symphonies #3 and #7.

Sibelius' Symphony #5.

The depth, complexity, range of emotion, brilliance, and overall masterful-ness of the works by these composers is, for me, without comparison and transcendental.

Classical is a genre, so to speak. The later works, inspired by the earliers "masters" are every bit as "classical".

I'm with Immanuel on this. Not an avid listener or performance attendee, but it is amazing to listen to. Just attended a performance by the National Philharmonic of Russia. Awesome....

I prefer hard rock, alternative rock, and that loud shit.

But I can't concentrate on anything when listening to my preferred music. Therefore, I like to listen to classical or instrumental jazz when I am trying to work. It's very pleasant.

Classical music is a misnomer... it is only classical to us...

I love Aaron Copland's ability to capture the American spirit. And I love the Russian composers, they're kind of the heavy metal genre of composers...

The premier of Igor Stravinsky's Rite of Spring was so dissonant, and over the top it actually caused a riot in 1913...

Stravinsky's Riotous 'Rite of Spring'

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMCd9DyzCCw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMCd9DyzCCw[/ame]

Stravinsky's ballet The Rite of Spring (Le Sacre du Printemps) is often held up as a masterwork that changed modern music forever. Music commentator Miles Hoffman takes the distinction one step further.

"The Rite of Spring," Hoffman says, "represents one of the greatest creative leaps in not only the history of music, but in the history of the arts."

Stravinsky's music is famous for causing a riot at its premiere. It was a warm spring evening in Paris on May 29, 1913, and Hoffman says the well-heeled crowd at the Champs Élysées Theatre was not ready for jagged rhythms, crunching discord, and the strange jerking of the dancers on stage.

"The ballet was choreographed by the great Nijinsky," Hoffman says, "and the noise, fighting, and shouting in the audience got so loud, he had to shout out the numbers to the dancers so that they knew what they were supposed to do."

One shrewd musicologist wrote that "the pagans on stage made pagans of the audience."

Hoffman says that the idea of pagans is right on the mark.
---
"It's a shocking piece," Hoffman says. "It's still startling to us today when we hear it, but it is not a confusing piece. It's compelling. We're hearing irregular rhythms, we're hearing instruments asked to go to the extremes of their capability, but we're also hearing patterns that we recognize, with pacing, contrast, fascinating harmonies, continuity — all the basic principles of what makes a piece of music work are all there. And that shows us the secret of Stravinsky's genius."

The Rite of Spring also opened doors to countless possibilities for future composers.

"It liberated many composers," Hoffman says, "and there were many imitators. I don't think you can listen to modern movie music without sooner or later hearing the influence of Stravinsky and the Rite.

"I like to think of this piece as a celebration of creativity, period. A new music is born, and sometimes births are violent."
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88490677

dubussy..i saw coman mention him....the only one i think....chopin....mozart....i really dont like the really loud stuff...mostly i tune into npr in the mornings and take my chances

Good point.

Those are really nationalist composers, not classical composers. I'm inclined to favor the nationalists more than the classicists.

Classical music is, musicologically speaking, music composed from 1750 to 1825. (yes, I had to look up the exact dates).

But despite my leaning toward the nationalists, my favorite classic music moments were hearing Authur Fidler conducting the Boston Symphony (or was it the POPS?) doing Tchaikovsky's 1812 on the Charles River when I lived in Boston.

I think I heard him 4 times in total including his last proformance in that venue.

Good point.

Those are really nationalist composers, not classical composers. I'm inclined to favor the nationalists more than the classicists.

Classical music is, musicologically speaking, music composed from 1750 to 1825. (yes, I had to look up the exact dates).

But despite my leaning toward the nationalists, my favorite classic music moments were hearing Authur Fidler conducting the Boston Symphony (or was it the POPS?) doing Tchaikovsky's 1812 on the Charles River when I lived in Boston.

I think I heard him 4 times in total including his last proformance in that venue.

As a "New Englander" are you familiar with Charles Ives?

A very talented composed was Rossini. At a recent ensemble performance at one of Lincoln Center's concert halls, I had the pleasure of hearing Sonata a Quattro No. 6 in D Major (performed by two violins, cello, and bass). The composition by Gioachino Rossini was written in 1804. What a prodigy! Born in 1792, that means that Rossini was twelve years old and had already composed five other works similar to this.

Sonata a Quattro No. 6 in D Major begins with a slow intro, then picks up the pace immensely. The melody is strong, with an edgy "feel" to it, showing the influence by Beethoven. (Most Romantic composers were influenced by him.)

Good point.

As a "New Englander" are you familiar with Charles Ives?

Of course.

Catalogue: Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back