Classic S.O.S. White Gravy Roast Beef Chips and Toast

Blasphemy!
I guess if I ever get back to the south, I'll have to try it there, because I'll tell ya, in Maine not many people know about it and it is DISGUSTING.
Here gravy is brown. Biscuits have butter. If we want a gut buster breakfast, we order baked beans.
Baked beans for breakfast. You all eat them a lot?
Yup. I love beans of all kinds, but the older I get, the less they love me. It's absolutely worth the pain sometimes though. Especially good heirloom beans like Marafax or King of the Early or Jacobs Cattle. Made with a good big half pound hunk of salt pork and not a whole lot else. They're not supposed to be candy sweet and they're supposed to have juice, not stuck together with starch.
Sorry- can you tell I love baked beans? LOL

My baked beans could give you cavities. Molasses, brown sugar, and maple syrup.
Yum I love sweet baked beans.

Mine are brown sugar, ketchup, onions, mustard, more brown sugar, molasses if I have it, more brown sugar...pepper, salt, bacon if I have it, but fine without it. Bake it for a looong time.

It's like candy.

Practically the same recipe. But there's something about a little real maple syrup.

Hawaiian baked beans are so good!

I don't think I've ever had them. Recipe?

I don't have my relative's recipe handy so this will have to do. I think she has green peppers in her recipe though and this one uses green onion.

Baked Beans with Pineapple and Bacon
Serves 8 to 10
1 pound (about 2 1/4 cups) dried navy beans or Great Northern Beans
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup crushed pineapple (canned in juice or fresh)
1 bunch green onions, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
8 thick slices smoked bacon

Rinse the beans and soak them in 6 cups of water overnight or at least 6 hours.*

Preheat the oven to 325°F.

Add beans with their soaking liquid to the pot. Combine the brown sugar, molasses, mustard, and salt, and pour the mixture over the beans. Add the tomatoes, pineapple, and all but 1/2 cup of the green onions. Stir the pot to combine the ingredients. Lay the bacon strips across the top of the beans.

Cover the pot and bake about 5 hours, until the beans are tender but not falling apart and mushy. Uncover during the last 30 minutes of cooking to allow the bacon to crisp.

Serve in bowls topped with a few pinches of sliced green onion.

*Bean Soaking Shortcut: For shorter soaking time, put the beans in their pot, cover with 6 cups water, bring to a rapid boil and cook on high for 2 minutes. Remove from the pot from the heat, cover it, and let it stand 1 hour before adding the mustard mixture and following the above directions.

Family Recipe: Baked Beans with Pineapple and Bacon

I think Koshergrl's would be great place to have munchies and eat.

yeah sometimes it sure is...

I'm going to visit my niece in Yakima in a week or two, she has a new house and a pool and we're going to spend a few days soaking up some sun before I send the kids on their summer ways...

I'm going to be cooking a crapload...I'll cook, then hang out at teh pool, then cook some more, then probably watch movies..then cook more.

We're going to have eggs benedict...I have been wanting to make some for a while...

And I'm going to do some barbecue, I don't know what yet. I think I'll go ahead and smoke a butt and we'll have pulled pork sammiches and homemade coleslaw...

What should I make for desserts?

Tres leche? Mmm..yes.

and strawberries and cream
and root beer and coke floats on demand

twice baked potatoes at least once...with bacon
a big potato salad
baked beans

steaks, burgers and shrimps
I should make green stuff but nobody will eat it. Still it looks pretty
tomatoes

I'm going to visit my niece in Yakima in a week or two, she has a new house and a pool and we're going to spend a few days soaking up some sun before I send the kids on their summer ways...

I'm going to be cooking a crapload...I'll cook, then hang out at teh pool, then cook some more, then probably watch movies..then cook more.

We're going to have eggs benedict...I have been wanting to make some for a while...

And I'm going to do some barbecue, I don't know what yet. I think I'll go ahead and smoke a butt and we'll have pulled pork sammiches and homemade coleslaw...

Tres leche? Mmm..yes.

a big potato salad
baked beans

tomatoes

Key Lime Pie or Banana Pudding

-Geaux

Tres leche? Mmm..yes.

a big potato salad
baked beans

tomatoes

Key Lime Pie or Banana Pudding

-Geaux
excellent!

Father in law used to make chili mac for the kids. His version was mac noodles mixed with a can of chili. They loved it.
Another stretcher is chili over mashed potatoes. Gotta be thick chili though. I love it.

If 60% of our body is water, then in my afterhours days my body was 60%
Cream Chipped Beef.

My Ol' Man didn't allow it in the house. He shipped out as a sergeant in the infantry to France in July 1944. Was there until he lost his leg and he left hand was badly damaged in the Battle of the Bulge. He then spent 2 years in a VA hospital in Texas while they pieced him back together. My grandparents lived across the hall from us and they enjoyed the chipped beef on toast. So I'd eat over there when that was for dinner.

I've made the SOS with both Chipped Beef & burger.....we prefer the burger and usually with toast or sometimes over rice. Good stuff.

I've also made 'Steak Tips' & Gravy & served over noodles

Biscuits & gravy??? Awesome, but must have plenty of gravy over those biscuits. Homemade & from scratch, the only way to go. I think that is as American as apple pie.:thup:

I've made baked beans & like it a little sweet, but not too much......and is usually for special occasions.

But a cold weather comfort food around here is hocks or leftover ham bone & bean soup, with cornbread. After soaking the beans overnight in the cold crockpot, add some onion, garlic, ham & bones and a small pinch of soda...turn it on & let it go until supper. Yum

I love Chili mac

From what I understand, in the South, they put gravy on just about everything. Even though my Mom was born here, she grew up in the South and taught me to cook in similar fashion. Flour gravy all the way. I'd never seen cornstarch gravy until I met hubby. Sometimes I have used cornstarch, but it's just not the same.

I feel nauseous just reading the thread. We were served shit on the shingle in the Coast Guard. It looked like puke and didn't taste much better. I opted out early on and had toast or whatever.
Yeah I will eat it but it's not my favorite thing ever.

Shit on a shingle is supposed to be gravy made with canned or dried sliced beef (I think that is what they call "chipped beef") that they got in the service, and that families used to get as surplus.

Mom made us the version with chipped beef like once I think...we ate it on toast, it was okay, nothing super duper fab.

Generally speaking she made hamburger gravy or any other kind of gravy with every single supper and often at breakfast too..and often it wasn't even hamburger gravy, it was just beautiful white gravy made with bacon drippings...it was white and amazing, always. You ate that stuff on EVERYTHING. Bread, meat, potatoes, vegetables...I think it would be good on fucking cake.

I make good gravy but not as consistently amazing as mom's.

I'm making hamburger gravy tonight...and baked tatoes.

Creamed Chipped Beef Recipe - Food.com

Hamburger Gravy Recipe
Yep, My mother called it creamed chip beef, but I also overheard her tell dad that he was going to eat the shit on a shingle or go hungry one night. Dad was Navy and didn't much care for it. lol

Forum List

Back