Classic films from TV and cinema.

I was looking around in youtube when I found a few old classic films.
Reach for the sky, dambusters and a few other classic war films when this one popped up as a suggestion.
I saw it many years ago on TV but had totally forgotten about it. Dickens wrote a wonderful series of stories, many made into classic films. Next up has to be the early version of Scrooge (A Christmas carol).

What old films do you have in your collection and/or what would you like?

I watched "The Palm Beach Story", 1942 directed by Preston Sturges with Joel MacCrea, Claudette Colbert MaryAstor and Rudy Vallee. Excellent stuff, I love Preston Sturges films.

The Palm Beach Story - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reach for the sky, dambusters and a few other classic war films when this one popped up as a suggestion.
I saw it many years ago on TV but had totally forgotten about it. Dickens wrote a wonderful series of stories, many made into classic films. Next up has to be the early version of Scrooge (A Christmas carol).

"Stalag 17" and "The Great Escape" are missing from my collection. Don't lend out movies any more. :)

William Holden was very sexy.

"Gilda" 1946 directed by Charles Vidor, with Glenn Ford, Rita Hayworth, George MacCready and Joseph Calleia. An exceptional film.

Gilda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George MacCready is also 18 years later in "Seven Days In May", a film I've previously mentioned in this thread, he's also in a brilliant early Stanley Kubrick film from 1957 "Paths of Glory" with Kirk Douglas and Adolphe Menjou.

Paths of Glory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I watched "Münchhausen" made in 1943, directed by Josef von Báky, it features a very famous German actor Hans Albers. Albers was in Josef von Sternberg's "Der blaue Engel" ("The Blue Angel") 1930 with Marlene Dietrich and Emil Jannings, he also played Sherlock Holmes in "Der Mann, der Sherlock Holmes war" ("The Man Who Was Sherlock Holmes") 1937.

Münchhausen (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's in beautiful Agfacolor Neu, the German version of Technicolor developed I'm sure in 1935, it's predecessor was Agfa-Farbenplatte.

Baron Münchhausen, the fictional character was based upon a real person....Hieronymus Karl Friedrich, Freiherr von Münchhausen (1720 – 1797). He became famous for telling extraordinary stories about his role as a military officer during the Austro-Russian–Turkish War (1735–1739).

Austro-Russian–Turkish War (1735–39) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Naturally, we were on the correct side in the above war, with our Russian cousins, although it didn't quite go as we or Russia had planned....the evil Ottoman Empire.

Although, we in The Holy Roman Empire got the evil Ottoman's back much later and put them back into their place.

Forum List

Back