Classic D&D - Online

KittenKoder

Sep 21, 2008
Nowhere
I brought this up when I first came here, there was some interest. My web site host was gracious enough to give me a free account upgrade when I asked about their changes, and my coding and graphics development have increase a lot ... so, I want to being this idea back up again. I want to create an online chat RPG (sort of Telnet style) using classic D&D as the backbone. Some mods to the original rules, which I will work on now.

Is there anyone interested in working on the game world with me? Building the land, kingdoms, monsters, flora, societies, etc. are what I am talking about, as well as (especially) spells and artifacts. Hit me up with a PM if you are interested, we can discuss it in this thread to.

I brought this up when I first came here, there was some interest. My web site host was gracious enough to give me a free account upgrade when I asked about their changes, and my coding and graphics development have increase a lot ... so, I want to being this idea back up again. I want to create an online chat RPG (sort of Telnet style) using classic D&D as the backbone. Some mods to the original rules, which I will work on now.

Is there anyone interested in working on the game world with me? Building the land, kingdoms, monsters, flora, societies, etc. are what I am talking about, as well as (especially) spells and artifacts. Hit me up with a PM if you are interested, we can discuss it in this thread to.
That is a huge undertaking and a good one will take years and years to complete. I played and still do occasionally a IPMUD called Everdark

accessible through telnet at [SIZE=-1]everdark.org 3000 [199.184.188.18]

Everdark is only considered a medium mud game and it has over 3000 rooms. Each room can take 3 coders about a month to complete. (with bug testing) Not for the fair heart.

I use to be the bug tester and help describe rooms/npc/items on my mud that I play.
[/SIZE]

Here is a little more information. You can log in as a Guest at my game to check it out.

Everdark MUD information, reviews and discussion at Top Mud Sites

um over 36 very hard quest and no cheating or helping others is allowed. Wizards monitor that stuff very closely. I started playing on that game in 1996, and still there but rarely log in anymore. On any given Friday night there use to be over 50 people playing, but now I would say 20 at best on a friday night. Love the game, and I still have 6 quest to finish them all but they are too hard for me. I need help! LOL I was in the nobility but since I haven't played, I haven't paid my taxes so I got kicked out. LOL

I'm a Fighter and if you decide to check it out, once in the game type the word (who) if you see Wizard Sezrak, tell him I sent you, and be prepared for him to bug the crap out of you. lol

No really if any decided to try it, PM me and I'll log onto the game to try and help

Last edited:
I actually think KK you should just take over Everdark! Play the game, complete all quest, then apply to be a wizard. Then take over the entire game!

The kind I was thinking would be less hack and slash than most MUD's ... more story telling, just with an automated system so a GM is not required for every scene.

The kind I was thinking would be less hack and slash than most MUD's ... more story telling, just with an automated system so a GM is not required for every scene.
Oh an adult role playing talkie one. I've seen many of those too. I use Zmud/Cmud to connect

The big problem is that the good online RPG chats keep closing ... mostly because the site owners are too fickle in who plays and how it's played. So now most players of the story telling RPG chats are very reluctant to get involved in anything. This is why I want to use a simple game system, like classic D&D ... so they won't fear making a character (most other game systems for story telling chats are really time consuming). Maybe I can pick up all the orphaned players, even those from White Wolf. Just found out my core site is actually on the first page of results in Google for the search term (actually surprised me a LOT). So ... now is the time to start something bigger. White Wolf screwed a lot of their players in March ... oddly I'm not upset about that. :razz: So a lot of gamers are clinging to whatever sites they can find, but no one has been able to manage one will since then (learned from the forums which I have neglected for a loooong time that I didn't see it developing). So now I have a chance to pick up the slack ... it's a huge oppertunity to get my foot into the story telling game industry, and who knows who I can bring with me.

Oh an adult role playing talkie one. I've seen many of those too. I use Zmud/Cmud to connect

Aaaw ... well, White Wolf had one for their World of Darkness (started back when it was Vampire the Masquerade and Werewolf the Apocalypse actually). It's not just for adults mind you, they are just not for tiny tots. ;) It's like a community of characters, and players act in these roles, the stats rarely come into play actually. Think Zork ... but thousands of players taking the character roles.

My first look at your topic and it reminded me of years ago when Alpha Worlds was young and all free. I had a lot of friends in there and had loads of fun. It was super in the 90's and I can't imagine what it's like now. Unfortunantly the speed I can achieve only 1.5mbs but the line is able to do 4.3MBS as Verizon was out only last week. SO I will call them and get the speed bumped up and hopefully do better in the multiplayer/user sites.
I wish I had more experience in programming, I would give it a try in assisting your venture into gaming development. But at present I will be a user and enjoy the efforts of others like yourself. Something else to learn that's for sure.

I spent my years in X-ray, and X-ray digital imaging and installed some of the first digital imagers in hospitals as well as a multitude of bio-medical related peripheral support devices and 'stuff' Also 30 years of communications related 'stuff' like transmitters, receivers and related encryption devices, but no dang programming, I missed the boat on that one.
However I am great at 'blogging my brains out' and really enjoy debates and discussions on various topics. It's some kinda of 'curse', an addiction, to communicating with others via the internet as well as being involved in RF communications on a daily and nightly basis. Life is good. :eusa_angel:

My first look at your topic and it reminded me of years ago when Alpha Worlds was young and all free. I had a lot of friends in there and had loads of fun. It was super in the 90's and I can't imagine what it's like now. Unfortunantly the speed I can achieve only 1.5mbs but the line is able to do 4.3MBS as Verizon was out only last week. SO I will call them and get the speed bumped up and hopefully do better in the multiplayer/user sites.
I wish I had more experience in programming, I would give it a try in assisting your venture into gaming development. But at present I will be a user and enjoy the efforts of others like yourself. Something else to learn that's for sure.

I spent my years in X-ray, and X-ray digital imaging and installed some of the first digital imagers in hospitals as well as a multitude of bio-medical related peripheral support devices and 'stuff' Also 30 years of communications related 'stuff' like transmitters, receivers and related encryption devices, but no dang programming, I missed the boat on that one.
However I am great at 'blogging my brains out' and really enjoy debates and discussions on various topics. It's some kinda of 'curse', an addiction, to communicating with others via the internet as well as being involved in RF communications on a daily and nightly basis. Life is good. :eusa_angel:

This wouldn't be a very graphical game either. ;) It will be mostly chat with some graphics, nothing fancy.

Forum List

Back