Class size does not matter

Class size doesn't matter?

:lol:

My god! ~ the right wing nonsense people will buy into just keep from recognzing even the most basic reality into is simply astounding.

If you think a teacher with 30 kids is going to be able to teach her pupils as well as a teacher with 15 kids you must on something.

It's always easier to look for simplified solutions. 50 years ago children left school knowing how to read and write.

50 years ago the kids that are killing test scores today would have dropped out and gone to work. Check the dropout rates in those days, you might be shocked...

Class size doesn't matter?

:lol:

My god! ~ the right wing nonsense people will buy into just keep from recognzing even the most basic reality into is simply astounding.

If you think a teacher with 30 kids is going to be able to teach her pupils as well as a teacher with 15 kids you must on something.

I actually posted a study, not rhetoric.

Sorry for joining this party late, but I just registered.

While doing research to run for school board a few years ago, I did a lot of searching to find studies showing the correlation between class size and results. The best information I could find at the time came to a logical conclusion: The younger the students, the more benefit came from smaller class sizes. In K through 2nd grade it was quite beneficial, the benefits were small until the child is about 10, then other factors begin to outweigh class size - factors like teacher competence, school environment, etc. Basically, from a policy standpoint, it makes sense to spend the extra money for small classes in the first few grades, but it is a waste of money beyond fourth grade, and high schoolers can learn in classes of up to 40 with no negative affects (assuming there are no major disciplinary issues in the class).

Also from a public policy standpoint, the slogan, "smaller class sizes" becomes a bottomless pit of spending. What do you do when your Teacher to student ratio is 20 and results are still bad? Well, reduce class sizes further! ( which is extremely expensive).

California started a major initiative several years ago to reduce class sizes state-wide, and I believe they abandoned it for both financial reasons and because it was getting no results whatsoever.

Conservatives might eventually get this whole education thing down to one teacher per school. What a waste we've had all these years with teachers, teacher unions, textbooks and so on. I say one teacher per school and America will do just fine, maybe better.

FROM THE ARTICLE: frequent teacher feedback, the use of data to guide instruction, high-dosage tutoring, increased instructional time, and high expectations — explains approximately 50 percent of the variation in school effectiveness.

Gawd I hate stupid. "Frequent teacher feedback": which is what you get with a smaller class size. Same with the others. This had to have been written by a right winger. Tell me Democrats aren't this stupid.

And the other big key is high expectations. You have to expect a certain level of performance and reach your goals from each and every student. Every student can learn.

Forum List

Back