clark may be a "puker"

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
so for a the last couple of weeks, every few days...clark pukes...about 30 minutes after eating....nothing else is wrong....plays...purrs.....nothing out of the ordinary but the puking....

so my vet chickie....tells me...well he may just be a puker...the term they use for a cat that just pukes on occasion with no medical reason...

so for a the last couple of weeks, every few days...clark pukes...about 30 minutes after eating....nothing else is wrong....plays...purrs.....nothing out of the ordinary but the puking....

so my vet chickie....tells me...well he may just be a puker...the term they use for a cat that just pukes on occasion with no medical reason...

Did you try switching brands of food? Maybe there is an ingredient the cat's belly doesn't like?

This time of year hairballs are a frequent cause of vomiting. If kitty is vomiting mostly undigested food then he probably has a bezoar sitting in the stomach partially blocking the opening to the intestines. I would give him Laxatone ( brand name, it has more effective ingredients) every other day for a week or so and then twice a week hereafter. If he's sending up more foul fecal type material with loose stool then he could be partially obstructed lower in the bowel. Good luck with him.
BTW.. if it's not a hairball, the Laxatone will not hurt him. It only lubricates the intestinal tract and will not cause diarrhea. Almost all cats should get a hairball medicine during the spring and autumn when shedding gets heavy.

Last edited:
i give them butter or pertrolum jelly for the hairballs.....if it was an obstruction...he would have been worse by now....it may simply be that with the addition of the 3rd...yes 3rd...cat....(btw i cant have a 3rd dog, i would like to point that out....) they are eating more and faster...so i am gonna work on that....putting food on a plate instead of a bowl...feeding smaller meals etc....i am just crossing my fingers that my clark is not a puker....

they are on a good quality food...slowing down the eating and smaller meals are the first attempt....

We have 3 cats Olly, Coco and Bella or Dummy, Stinky and Tubby... depending on my mood.

I put the food out for them twice a day.. usually Olly (the male) gets there first and if I don't hold him back he gorges real fast, then pukes soon after. If I hold him back for a while he's fine.

My cat gets dry skin from laying on the heat registers in the winter. The dry skin mean she grooms more frequently and tends to have furballs.

My cat is not a puker, she has always been very healthy, but she doesn't like to poop in her litter box. So I have to make sure to throw her outside on a regular basis. My brother, a grown man is afraid of my cat, the radom bighting gets him. lol

One suggestion is he may eat too fast. To that end put a golfball or tennisball in his food bowl. that way he has to push it out of the way to eat and it will slow him down.

Just one suggestion.

well he went from tuesday without puking....then last night...blowing chunks all over the place...the eating out of a plate worked at first....now we will have to just limit the amount of food he gets at one time...clark is not gonna like this

Not sure where you are on the circle of life Samson. After you have raised three kids, cat puke isn't a big deal. As a student maintenance worker in a college dorm years ago, I can tell you cleaning up after a big bar night in the restrooms is far worse.

Strolling, my first step would be to switch food.

My dog has allergies. She doesn't puke, thankfully, but her skin turns red, she scratches, starts licking compulsively, and if her food isn't switched out pronto, her ears swell up.

I feed her good lamb/rice food. But you know, I've had her react to that, too, which tells me that some lamb/rice food either has beef by-product in it, or some sort of wheat.

With a yakking kitty I might even consider feeding it tuna and chicken. I've yet to see a cat throw tuna up.

Just keep in mind...cats who are on a fish diet aren't fat. They'll get shiny and slinky.

he is on purina naturals....the puke is undigested cat food....

lamb and rice always works for the dogs....i do not want to have to cook his food...for him....but if that is what it takes

Forum List

Back