Ck

You said in the What Would You Be Banned For thread that you welcome input and honest suggestions or questions are welcomed. So...I am going to take you up on that offer and ask something that has bugged me for some time although I can live with it no matter your decision.

Why do we have rep?

Edited because it was a mini novella.
I think rep is a double edged sword. The positives are it's a good way for members to make friends with those who share similar opinions as they do, and the negatives are it creates a superficial environment which people spend weeks in useless threads kissing other people's asses that they normally wouldn't, just for the reps. I guess you can say it depends on the member as well. What they do or don't with it, and how they participate.

Last edited:
Agreed. I didn't understand the rep thing...and at times, still don't. I have been on many boards since 1998 and this is the first one that put such stock in it...or even had it.

However, I also learned things since I started this thread. I debated on opting out. But I have seen too much abuse of it, so really wanted no part of it. Since then, the lightbulb went on over my head. Granted, not very bright sometimes, but it's tryin' :lol:

I will keep my rep. And I want to keep it because I can use it as a tool, myself. I didn't think I would ever see 10,000 to be honest. And I had (key word..HAD) much respect for those with huge rep numbers in controlling their impulses to use that neg rep ability wisely, and sparingly. So I told myself..I would be like them. I would NOT use the neg function if I ever saw 10,000 except in extreme cases...which means my mood at the time ;).

What I have been using it for is bumping people UP after they have been neg bullied by those who only target those with far less than the neg bully has. Might not seem much, but here in USMB, it IS much cuz y'all are used to it. It's still a new thing I am getting used to, myself. So..I pos rep good posts, pos rep those unfairly targeted by neg bullies, and have used constraint by NOT using a neg against those especially with less than what I have. Just doesn't seem fair.

So...in essence...the rep system has its pros and cons. I plan to use it for pros as much as possible. Unless I am in a "mood". Wink wink.
So far, even in a "mood", I have practiced restraint. It is a good lesson to work on.

JMHO

I did a retaliatory reg after somebody with rep around yours attacked someone with much, MUCH less rep. Like she doesn't even have a thousand.

I'll likely do it again. It's one thing to rebuild the one being rep bullied, but sometimes, it's just essential to lash out and touch someone who is doing the bullying.

New Topics

Forum List

Back