CDZ Civilized Humans ???

Actual there are a lot of differences.
No you just think there are.

People are still the same as they were centuries ago we just have better stuff now

We have 'better stuff ' now because of those people centuries ago, and paganism would never have led to the 'now' we have now.

Don't confuse intelligence with civilization.

Those pagans could never imagined the weapons we have today that can kill millions in an instant.

We're still barbaric only now we can commit acts of barbarism from a nice climate controlled room and watch it all via satellite feed on hi def led monitors while sipping fine liquors.

And our brains have actually shrunk by about 10% as we actually use them less than we did thousands of years ago.

Just think those barbaric pagans most likely had a higher capacity for learning than we do even though we think ourselves to be more intelligent.
Size does not necessarily equate to capacity or ability to learn.

There a many animals that have larger brains than humans, that does not make them more intelligent or give them a greater capacity to learn.

Our brains are the most developed on the planet and it's not just because of size but because of surface area. A 10% decrease in brain size also results in a decrease of surface area.

Our brains have shrunk because we don't use as much of our computing power as we used to and you know the old saying, "use it or lose it"?

We are losing it
That is your assumption.

You essentially state that surface area does not necessarily equate to size (animals with larger brains not having the same surface area) and then state a reduction in size directly means a reduction in surface area.

You cannot haven it both ways.

I'm familiar with many dog breeds; miniature poodles, with brains that would fit in a walnut shell, are on average far brighter and easier to train than many other breeds, particularly large breeds with brains the size of a softball or larger; no co-relation at all to brain size and intelligence whatsoever. They're smarter than cows as well, and most large animals.

I'm familiar with many dog breeds; miniature poodles, with brains that would fit in a walnut shell, are on average far brighter and easier to train than many other breeds, particularly large breeds with brains the size of a softball or larger; no co-relation at all to brain size and intelligence whatsoever. They're smarter than cows as well, and most large animals.
Something else that is important is that correlation does not mean causation either.

Even if there is a study showing a correlation it would not establish that same correlation in times past or other instance without a causation. Intelligence is essentially determined by the number of connections between neurons within the brain - a physical reality that is not caused by surface area or size.

No you just think there are.

People are still the same as they were centuries ago we just have better stuff now

We have 'better stuff ' now because of those people centuries ago, and paganism would never have led to the 'now' we have now.

Don't confuse intelligence with civilization.

Those pagans could never imagined the weapons we have today that can kill millions in an instant.

We're still barbaric only now we can commit acts of barbarism from a nice climate controlled room and watch it all via satellite feed on hi def led monitors while sipping fine liquors.

And our brains have actually shrunk by about 10% as we actually use them less than we did thousands of years ago.

Just think those barbaric pagans most likely had a higher capacity for learning than we do even though we think ourselves to be more intelligent.
Size does not necessarily equate to capacity or ability to learn.

There a many animals that have larger brains than humans, that does not make them more intelligent or give them a greater capacity to learn.

Our brains are the most developed on the planet and it's not just because of size but because of surface area. A 10% decrease in brain size also results in a decrease of surface area.

Our brains have shrunk because we don't use as much of our computing power as we used to and you know the old saying, "use it or lose it"?

We are losing it
That is your assumption.

You essentially state that surface area does not necessarily equate to size (animals with larger brains not having the same surface area) and then state a reduction in size directly means a reduction in surface area.

You cannot haven it both ways.
It doesn't

Human brains are highly convoluted which increases surface area. It is an evolutionary fix to increase brain capacity without increasing cranial size.

A brain that is larger and smooth is not as capable as one that is smaller but has more surface area. There is also an important ratio of brain size to body size so a very large animal might have a brain that i much larger than a human but the ratio also factors into intelligence.

A folded brain surface has a greater surface area — which means a greater power for processing information

So when comparing human brains only there has been a 10% reduction in size over the last 10000 years. While the size of humans has been shrinking as well the brain has actually shrunk faster than our bodies so the brain size to body size ratio has not remained equal.

I don't see how you can say a smaller human brain has more surface area than a larger human brain.

Scientists are alarmed by shrinking of the human brain

More than 4,000 years ago, great civilizations existed around the world and the ancient inhabitants built incredible buildings and cities with great precision and beauty, often with astronomical alignments that we are only just beginning to realise. Nowadays, technology has taken over, rendering our need to apply skill, creativity, and memory virtually redundant. Instead of memorising navigational routes we switch on our ‘sat navs’ and rather than storing phone numbers and addresses in our memory banks, we have them all to hand on our iPhones and Blackberries. Our technology is evolving rapidly, but sadly it seems that we are not.

Sometimes I think we'd be better off living like animals, true to our instinctive nature.

This attempt at being civilized is failing miserably and even worse, may be the death of us

Really?

You think you would prefer life without modern dentistry?

You think you would prefer to be subject to rape by whatever man happens to see you and desire you?

You think you would prefer that your most likely death to be that of being killed and eaten by a predator(and maybe eaten while being killed) - most likely as a child or after getting some disease like chickenpox?

I wouldn't.

Civilization is far from perfect- but watch what animals contend with- and it is generally a short and rather brutal life.

Sometimes I think we'd be better off living like animals, true to our instinctive nature.

This attempt at being civilized is failing miserably and even worse, may be the death of us

Really?

You think you would prefer to be subject to rape by whatever man happens to see you and desire you?

You think you would prefer that your most likely death to be that of being killed and eaten by a predator(and maybe eaten while being killed) - most likely as a child or after getting some disease like chickenpox?

I wouldn't.

Civilization is far from perfect- but watch what animals contend with- and it is generally a short and rather brutal life.

It would be. It would be a fast death and immediate understandable torture, instead of a slow death and lingering torture that we have now....

Really?

I wouldn't.

It would be. It would be a fast death and immediate understandable torture, instead of a slow death and lingering torture that we have now....

Are you going through a slow death and lingering torture?

Have you ever had pets? We do- we have had a series of pets of the rather short lived variety.
Are they bored sometimes- sure.

But they don't live their lives in terror of being eaten. If they get sick they are someplace safe with the possibility of recovering rather than being eaten or starving before they die.

I actually think about this fairly often when one of them dies and I think about how much kinder deaths they had than their wild kin.

Really?

I wouldn't.

Then why are you here living this life. You have the opportunity to go out and live completely wild yet you chose not to. The reasons are rather obvious.

You still have not answered my first question either - by what objective measure do you picture wild life as superior to civilized life.

Really?

I wouldn't.

I don't know if it would be fast but you could probably count on dying from an infection.

Really?

I wouldn't.

Then why are you here living this life. You have the opportunity to go out and live completely wild yet you chose not to. The reasons are rather obvious.

You still have not answered my first question either - by what objective measure do you picture wild life as superior to civilized life.

They are not bogged down in meaningless drivel. They are not superior in one sense, but, they do what is necessary for the survival of their species. We seem to do nothing but inadvertently work toward our own ultimate extinction and demise

Really?

I wouldn't.

They are not bogged down in meaningless drivel. They are not superior in one sense, but, they do what is necessary for the survival of their species. We seem to do nothing but inadvertently work toward our own ultimate extinction and demise

Forum List

Back