CDZ Civilized Humans ???

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
Sometimes I think we'd be better off living like animals, true to our instinctive nature.

This attempt at being civilized is failing miserably and even worse, may be the death of us

I don't. Humans have abilities beyond what instincts provide. I see no reason to throw in the towel and declare civilization a failure just because some people do stupid things.

Ataye-Eligidagne-3.jpg

Sometimes I think we'd be better off living like animals, true to our instinctive nature.

This attempt at being civilized is failing miserably and even worse, may be the death of us

The law of the jungle wouldn't be any fun either. We just gotta do better at being civilized.

I don't. Humans have abilities beyond what instincts provide. I see no reason to throw in the towel and declare civilization a failure just because some people do stupid things.
There would be no debate over who was in charge. Fights would mean something and only the strong would survive. Our species would flourish

I do too honestly
Then again, look how long it took us just to get here. It will take us a while to get to there

The law of the jungle wouldn't be any fun either. We just gotta do better at being civilized.
No fun, but no silly BS either

I do too honestly
Then again, look how long it took us just to get here. It will take us a while to get to there
I guess the Bible may be true...knowledge may be our downfall

I do too honestly
Could be. I have often pondered about technology being the death of us.
It could also be our savior. Hard to deny enlightenment is a good thing lol

There would be no debate over who was in charge. Fights would mean something and only the strong would survive. Our species would flourish
I'm not on board with letting the old, young, and assorted weak get wiped out.

I do too honestly
We're too stupid to handle it properly...like giving a machine gun to a 3 year old

Why are we above that? Are you a Christian?

I do too honestly
We're too stupid to handle it properly...like giving a machine gun to a 3 year old
yea, right now. Thats my point. We as a species get smarter every day.

We ARE living true to our instinctive nature. It is instinctive to be suspicious of what's different. It is instinctive to be tribal.
Maybe we should try being a little LESS instinctive and use the noggins the good Lord gave us.

Why are we above that? Are you a Christian?
Yes, I'm a Christian. Jesus didn't teach that the strong should wipe out the weak. He taught that whatever we do to the weak we do to Him.

Well, of course we do live like animals. We are animals. A long time ago, our ancestors made the evolutionary bet to rely on brains rather than teeth or claws. It has worked spectacularly and since the creation of speech and the mastery of fire, at an accelerating pace. Unfortunately, each step forward has also brought a problem or obstacle that did not exist before. Since the discovery of stable agriculture some 15,000 years ago, these problems have become unprecedented for this or any other species.

Every evolutionary bet has its down side. Most of them don't work out. Most innovations don't survive. The human species has had a helluva run but it looks like our run is running out. Mother Nature doesn't care and the rest of the planet's species will be glad to see us go.

How do you view us compared to other species?

Our closest relatives are primate apes. The obvious difference between us is the degree of control over the environment. It is our ability to deal with climate and food supply which allowed us to migrate out of Africa and around most of the world.

The early humans in that great migration had little more than fire and flint-tipped spears to differentiate their technology from that of chimpanzees. But there was already a difference in brain size and development.

With control over the environment came a revolutionary shift: evolutionary change ceased to be external, i.e. physical characteristics for adaptation to the environment, and became internal, i.e. consciousness.

The unique features of human consciousness, especially the narrative ego, have shaped our existence every since. They have also given us a tool making skill i.e. technology which changes the environment itself. Alas, power is always a step ahead of wisdom and we are now faced with our own extinction.

I do too honestly
look how long it took us just to get here.
What? What are you trying to say?

It took the entirety of "citified" human existence "to get here." It's not as though we were "here"/civilized, some calamity (acute or chronic) happened and then we had to get back to "here." Humans are now the exact same humans, Homo sapiens sapiens (as contrasted with Homo sapiens idaltu and other subspecies), that humans have been for as long as we know of there having been civilized humans. Your comment reads like a subtle foreshadowing of "ancient astronaut/aliens" lines of discussion.

Forum List

Back