Civil War Likely

Originally posted by Tippy Toes
Also, they are over there, not here. I think it may have been a brilliant move. Whether they get Democracy, or not, we may be eliminating some future OBL.

Do you really think that every terrorist sleeper cell here in america packed their shit to go to Iraq and fight? :wtf:

Democracy will be nice, but well that's up to the people. If they are chicken, then they get what they get. Some fighting will be necessary on their part.

Thats what we've been trying to tell you, they may want freedom but not democracy, besides, the US hasn't had a successful democracy action yet.

It is a whole lot of guessing, anyway it's looked at. Hopefully, the good guessing is on our side, cause we don't deserve this.

Deserve what?

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
First off I don't read or watch either as I am Canadian and read the Global and Mail and watch the CBC and BBC. I have no opinion on Kerry as he does not affect me.

I think you underestimate the populist sentiment towards a religious government. As such there will always be friction between the coalition and a large amount of Iraqis. Given that, the ability to form a stable government is undermined much more so than say Afghanistan where there is genuine populist sentiment for the new government.

I think Iraq has a populist sentiment for a new government, but not one imposed by the US by force. They see the IGC as a puppet , not as a legitimate, democratic, or representative government.

Now we see the US installing two former Generals from Saddam's army to head the "new" Iraqi military, and last week, they announced that some former Bathe party officials can return to work for the government. We seem to be returning to Saddam's methods, which, for its evil, was very effective in enforcing order.

I am less concerned about civil war in the short-term (very concerned about it in the longer term) but concerned that the US continues to make critical errors in the occupation and transition to democracy that will unite the three main Iraqi groups into a countrywide opposition. We have seen the first signs of this as the Shea rise up against the IGC (the enemy of my enemy is my friend).

I agree with DK who wrote in a separate post that now that we are there, we have to see it through. No doubt. But the window of opportunity for success is closing.

Now we see the US installing two former Generals from Saddam's army to head the "new" Iraqi military, and last week, they announced that some former Bathe party officials can return to work for the government. We seem to be returning to Saddam's methods, which, for its evil, was very effective in enforcing order.

Our problem was the regime. Baathism was about 90% of the country. The biggest mistake we made was dismantling the BAATHIST ARMY.

Bringing in good Baathists is like bringing in good Democrats or Republicans. It's a political party. We should have kept their army together. Instead, we dismantled it.

So Bush gets hammered for being too anti-Baath and then gets hammered for being pro-Baath.

Crazy.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
Do you really think that every terrorist sleeper cell here in america packed their shit to go to Iraq and fight? :wtf:

No, but I think they are having to concentrate their attention more on Iraq.

Thats what we've been trying to tell you, they may want freedom but not democracy, besides, the US hasn't had a successful democracy action yet.

That negative, and that's why wars are lost. It's better to think positively.

Deserve what?

We don't deserve any of it quite frankly. This terrorism is too much. We didn't deserve all the various attacks.

I think they are a bunch of dumbasses. Too dumb for words, but dumbasses are also dangerous.

Originally posted by preemptingyou03
Our problem was the regime. Baathism was about 90% of the country. The biggest mistake we made was dismantling the BAATHIST ARMY.

Bringing in good Baathists is like bringing in good Democrats or Republicans. It's a political party. We should have kept their army together. Instead, we dismantled it.

So Bush gets hammered for being too anti-Baath and then gets hammered for being pro-Baath.

Crazy.

No 90% of the country wasn't Baathists! That's part of the problem. They were a Sunni minority while Iraq is a majority Shiite. Baathists are hardly the problem, they know they're beat and have no hope like any disposed dictatorship. Fundamentalism is the real problem. If the US reinstated the Baathist army the Shiite's still would be in an uproar.

Forum List

Back