Civil Servants under attack by the Right Wing.

I understand completely what happened.

One of my biggest clients (Innkeepers USA) is held by Lehman Brothers.

I not only got no bailout, my last contract got re-negotiated down by 40% and all my subsequent contracts got pulled.

But thanks for demonstrating, once again, what a sanctimonious know-nothing little useful idiot you are.

I did google Innkeepers; it's no wonder you're bitter. I suppose the shrimp fisherman in the Gulf are bitter too. Those who labor (work the hardest) are usually the first to get screwed and the last to benefit.
Notice Wall Street is back, bonuses are being paid and stocks are climbing. Notice too there is no real effort at job production - private industry has no motivation, and the government has lost the propaganda battle by the Grover Norquest wing of the Republican Party.
The sad thing is, those who work the hardest and garner the fewest benefits still don't get it. We now live in a plutocracy and no amount of rhetoric can repair the damage down by the plutocrats. Unless and until the working men and women of this nation study the issues and vote, the rich will continue to prosper at the expense of the hoi polloi.

I see the err in your thinking this way...

I, too, lost out big time over the Lehman Borthers collapse. I had laid out tens of thosuands of dollars in 1099 salary to consultants not to mention w-2 employees on my paroll temping for them...and my return was to be about a positive 42% of layout...with it being closer to 35% positive return on the w-2 employees (after payrol taxes)....I lost it all and was at the bottom of the list to get something.

DO I blame Lehman Brothers? No. I blame no one. It is a cost of doing business. I opted to go into contract with them. No one forced me. I chose to do it and if all went well, I make money. If all goes south, I lose money.

Shrimp Fisherman? They chose to go into that field. Weather may affect them, oil spills, poor boat maintenance; laziness...a number of things....but it is their choice to go into the field knowing the negative AND positive ramifications.

Ever watch deadliest catch? They catch crab? They make money. They dont? They make nothing. Their choice to take the gamble.

Play the market? Some win, some lose. Play craps? Some win some lose.

Take an ARM? It is a gamble. Pay less now and maybe less later as well...or pay less now and a lot more later....who is to blame? No one. It is a gamble.

You want to control your destiny? It is best to accpet the downfalls as you reap the rewards.

And of course...none of this is on topic.

I lost 50 grand in my 401k..big whoop. I ain't complaining..my headache.

I also lost close to that several years ago when I, along with several other people, invested in a bar in Atlanta that was supposed to make a killing during the Olympics.

Big whoop. I take my lumps.

The thread is the attack on Civil Servants..who've made contracts with their employers. This is the very same rationale used by the right wing when they justify huge bonuses to failing financials executives that were saved by tax payer dollars. In addition to sucking in your money, Oddball's money and my money.

I did google Innkeepers; it's no wonder you're bitter. I suppose the shrimp fisherman in the Gulf are bitter too. Those who labor (work the hardest) are usually the first to get screwed and the last to benefit.
Notice Wall Street is back, bonuses are being paid and stocks are climbing. Notice too there is no real effort at job production - private industry has no motivation, and the government has lost the propaganda battle by the Grover Norquest wing of the Republican Party.
The sad thing is, those who work the hardest and garner the fewest benefits still don't get it. We now live in a plutocracy and no amount of rhetoric can repair the damage down by the plutocrats. Unless and until the working men and women of this nation study the issues and vote, the rich will continue to prosper at the expense of the hoi polloi.

I, too, lost out big time over the Lehman Borthers collapse. I had laid out tens of thosuands of dollars in 1099 salary to consultants not to mention w-2 employees on my paroll temping for them...and my return was to be about a positive 42% of layout...with it being closer to 35% positive return on the w-2 employees (after payrol taxes)....I lost it all and was at the bottom of the list to get something.

DO I blame Lehman Brothers? No. I blame no one. It is a cost of doing business. I opted to go into contract with them. No one forced me. I chose to do it and if all went well, I make money. If all goes south, I lose money.

Shrimp Fisherman? They chose to go into that field. Weather may affect them, oil spills, poor boat maintenance; laziness...a number of things....but it is their choice to go into the field knowing the negative AND positive ramifications.

Ever watch deadliest catch? They catch crab? They make money. They dont? They make nothing. Their choice to take the gamble.

Take an ARM? It is a gamble. Pay less now and maybe less later as well...or pay less now and a lot more later....who is to blame? No one. It is a gamble.

You want to control your destiny? It is best to accpet the downfalls as you reap the rewards.

I also lost close to that several years ago when I, along with several other people, invested in a bar in Atlanta that was supposed to make a killing during the Olympics.

The thread is the attack on Civil Servants..who've made contracts with their employers. This is the very same rationale used by the right wing when they justify huge bonuses to failing financials executives that were saved by tax payer dollars. In addition to sucking in your money, Oddball's money and my money.
Tough shit.

With the states going bankrupt, their contracts are every bit a malleable as anyone elses....They're the ones who exchanged the risks (and rewards) of operating in the private sector, for the perceived security of the bureaucrat.

You want sympathy?...Look in the dictionary between "shit" and "syphilis".

That you're seethingly jealous of CEO bonuses is your problem.

I understand completely what happened.

One of my biggest clients (Innkeepers USA) is held by Lehman Brothers.

I not only got no bailout, my last contract got re-negotiated down by 40% and all my subsequent contracts got pulled.

But thanks for demonstrating, once again, what a sanctimonious know-nothing little useful idiot you are.

Bitter?...Not at all.

Unlike most people, I save for these rainy days while I'm working.

In fact, I've not mentioned my predicament until now, even though this has been a two-year layoff.

Be that as it may, I feel as much sympathy for the bureaucrat as any of you mewling leftists show toward the productive entrepreneur....Exactly none.

Life's tough...Shit happens....Wear a fucking helmet.

I have (worn a helmet in the past). My point was a bit over your head, apparently. Maybe you need to remove the tin foil you wear as a helmet.
Maybe you're not bitter, your glib comments maybe based on nothing to say rather than feeling anger or sorry for yourself.
But lots of people are hurting, and a lot of them are bitter. The plutocrats who I hold in contempt don't get it either. Unmittigated greed and explotation always end the same way, in social unrest.

I did not go off topic at all. I responded to someones post.
And you should not complain about losing 50K in your 401(k)...becuase I am sure you would not have complained when it was reaping in 25% annual returns

Attack the civil servants? All I have been sayingt all long is they chose to be civil servants. Sure many want to argue that they chose such as they only want to help people...but lets be real...such is by no means the moitivation for most of them...

But they chose such a career and need to understand that when you are employed by a municipality, your future will always be "on the fence"....

Pretty much like any employee of any company.

It is life....and it is like that regardless of the type of economy or political system.

Exactly why should anyone...say a civil servant...be more secure than anyone else?

Tough shit.

With the states going bankrupt, their contracts are every bit a malleable as anyone elses....They're the ones who exchanged the risks (and rewards) of operating in the private sector, for the perceived security of the bureaucrat.

:lol:

Whooooosssshhhhhhh! That's just to much.

And you should not complain about losing 50K in your 401(k)...becuase I am sure you would not have complained when it was reaping in 25% annual returns

Attack the civil servants? All I have been sayingt all long is they chose to be civil servants. Sure many want to argue that they chose such as they only want to help people...but lets be real...such is by no means the moitivation for most of them...

But they chose such a career and need to understand that when you are employed by a municipality, your future will always be "on the fence"....

It is life....and it is like that regardless of the type of economy or political system.

Exactly why should anyone...say a civil servant...be more secure than anyone else?

So let me get this straight..

Public employees who entered into contracts with their employers, just as valid as any, should not expect them to be honored..because..I dunno.."bankrupcy"?

But Private executives who entered into contracts with Private firms SHOULD expect THOSE contracts to be honored even if their firms were SAVED by public funds..and if they weren't..they would have gone..I dunno..bankrupt?

And you don't see any problem whatsoever with this logic?

Tough shit.

Woosh nothing.

The premise of the entire thread is "pity the bureaucrat".

waaawaaawaaa.

Tough shit.

Woosh nothing.

waaawaaawaaa.

Hmm..Firemen, cops, teachers, emergency workers, health care givers..are now "Bureaucrats"?

Is that a new right wing anarchist "Daffynition"? I do have to keep up with the venacular..changes so quickly!:lol:

Public employees who entered into contracts with their employers, just as valid as any, should not expect them to be honored..because..I dunno.."bankrupcy"?

But Private executives who entered into contracts with Private firms SHOULD expect THOSE contracts to be honored even if their firms were SAVED by public funds..and if they weren't..they would have gone..I dunno..bankrupt?

I see no problem with point 1. You neter into a contract and business goes bad (or tax revenue is less than spending in the case of a municipality), you lose out. Either negotiate a safer contract or dont sign with that municipality of company.

Point 2?
I was against every bailout. Everyone of them.
Government had no right to lend our money to bad decision makers. None. Truth is, they should not be lending our money to anyone. But to say to select companies..

"thats ok...you made some really bad decisions just like your competitors did...but we will help you...and not only that, but we will make it even better for you becuase we will NOT help your competitors"

And before someone says "what about the employees of those companies that were bailed out?"

Well...what about the employees of Lehman?

Woosh nothing.

waaawaaawaaa.

Hmm..Firemen, cops, teachers, emergency workers, health care givers..are now "Bureaucrats"?

Is that a new right wing anarchist "Daffynition"? I do have to keep up with the venacular..changes so quickly!:lol:

Nope...they are skilled employees that have earned no more of a reason for job security than anyone else who works for a living.

I see no problem with point 1. You neter into a contract and business goes bad (or tax revenue is less than spending in the case of a municipality), you lose out. Either negotiate a safer contract or dont sign with that municipality of company.

Point 2?
Government had no right to lend our money to bad decision makers. None. Truth is, they should not be lending our money to anyone. But to say to select companies..

"thats ok...you made some really bad decisions just like your competitors did...but we will help you...and not only that, but we will make it even better for you becuase we will NOT help your competitors"

And before someone says "what about the employees of those companies that were bailed out?"

The one I know..now works for Barclay's. My ex-wife worked for Lehman as well..before she quit.

Point 2?

The one I know..now works for Barclay's. My ex-wife worked for Lehman as well..before she quit.

And a GM employee would have found a job with Ford or maybe Toyota....or whomever.

The bailouts were nothing than politicians paying back supporters....with our money.

Point 2?

And a GM employee would have found a job with Ford or maybe Toyota....or whomever.

The bailouts were nothing than politicians paying back supporters....with our money.

You missed the irony..oh well.:lol:

You missed the irony..oh well.:lol:

No I didnt.

I took the irony and I made a point.

I am pretty good at multi tasking.

I'm a teacher, my brother was a cop. He managed to get to deputy chief for his last 8 years, before he retired at 52. His pension? $88,500 a year. Granted it didn't look like it was going to be that when he started at $22k per year, back in late 70's. He didn't take the job for the money, any more than I chose my career path. However, he would be the first to say that those joining police, fire, etc. today should not count on those benefits, it must change. It's not just the 'first responders' and teachers, but secretaries, clerks, etc. that are getting 2/3 salaries and such. He will not be paying for his medical coverage either, it's part of his package.

So what does a 52 year old do? Work for park district as a liaison with other city departments, something the former deputy chief is qualified to do. Drastic reduction in income, but not when added to pension payment. No worries about job stress and he can concentrate of family. Of course he's not a type B guy, so he's already organized programs to increase safety and use of parks, programs about recycling, and publicizing composting by the city and how citizens can be part of that. The city certainly will get their money's worth from him and while he takes this a year at a time, the way things are set up today, vested in 5 years.

I'm a civil servant, and a Conservative. I just don't see where the right wing are attacking me or my co-workers. If by attack you mean cut back on wasteful spending, then I guess you are correct. To be honest, I think they should have started with cutting back entitlement spending, stuff like welfare and what not, because contrary to popular belief, noone is entitled to someone elses tax dollars. And with roughly 40 million people on welfare and food stamps, I would say that would be a great place to start cutting. Maybe the ones who collect it just because they are too lazy to get off there asses might just go get a dang job and help the rest of us out.

Forum List

Back