Civil Servants under attack by the Right Wing.

Care to post the name of the school division in your location (which you say is "mid south") so we can look at the public records for the school system?

>>>>

If they can't, I sure can.

{More proof that pension costs are spiraling out of control: The number of retirees earning $100,000 or more from the California State Teachers’ Retirement System (CalSTRS) has increased dramatically since 2009, according to new data obtained by the nonprofit California Foundation for Fiscal Responsibility.
For those of you not familiar with the foundation, it’s one of the leading advocates for pension reform in California. On its website, the foundation publishes searchable databases of retirees earning $100,000 or more from a couple of state pension systems, including CalSTRS, the pension system for retired California teachers.
The foundation initially obtained the data for its “CalSTRS $100,000 pension club” database in May 2009. Back then there were 3,010 retirees earning $100,000 or more annually from CalSTRS. Earlier this month, the foundation obtained updated data from CalSTRS and the number has grown to 5,308 (5,309 if you count one woman earning $99,998.88).}

Number of $100,000 retirees skyrocket in teacher pension system - OC Watchdog - The Orange County Register

Thanks, but the posters location is listed as "mid south", being in Virginia myself I'm wondering where below the Mason-Dixon line over 1/2 of teachers are making over $100,000 in pay. In our district starting salary is $38,500 and the max is $61,000 with 34 or more years.

But thanks for pointing out Orange County California one of the most expensive places to live in California.

BTW there are about 310,000 teachers in California so if only about 5300 are earning $100,000 or more it no where near supports the claim that half the teachers are earning that much. That's actually only about 1.7%, not close to 50%.

>>>>

Last edited:
oh....Northern Valley Regional is the district.

That's New Jersey, I thought your location is the mid south?

Shouldn't you change your location to "Yankee Land"?

Their salary scale listed shows a range of $50,652 to $80,866 for teachers with Bachelor Degrees and $56,224 to $101,734 for those with Masters Degrees. (http://www.nvnet.org/foremployment/Salary_Guide) Seems hard to believe that 50% or more of the teachers are drawing the top 1% of the Masters scale.

>>>>

Last edited:
But thanks for pointing out Orange County California one of the most expensive places to live in California.

That's state wide.

Teachers are some of the best paid people in the state.

BTW there are about 310,000 teachers in California so if only about 5300 are earning $100,000 or more it no where near supports the claim that half the teachers are earning that much. That's actually only about 1.7%, not close to 50%.

That's actually teachers drawing more than $100K in PENSIONS.

Pretty outrageous.

Spend 20 years teaching, retire at 45 and draw $100K for life - doing nothing?

Only government offers such obscenities.

That's state wide.

Teachers are some of the best paid people in the state.

That's actually teachers drawing more than $100K in PENSIONS.

Pretty outrageous.

Spend 20 years teaching, retire at 45 and draw $100K for life - doing nothing?

Only government offers such obscenities.

Feel free to show there those drawing pensions were teachers for only 20-years, retired as a teacher, and are drawing pensions over $100K.

Typically early retirements means reduced pensions. And 1.7% is still no where near the claim that 50% were drawing pensions over 100K.

Feel free to support your claim.

>>>>

Last edited:
Troll? Oh come on. It says, "Big Bad Wolf" in my tag next to the "Big Bad Wolf" in my avatar. Gosh..

Yeah, but your posts just SCREAM "feral baboon."

Oh well..baboons are pretty "wolf like" I guess.

And in the swing of things..I guess I would rather be a fierce animal as opposed to an insect without appendages..which is kinda what I think you come off as..

A wiggly little maggot feeding on crap.

Firefighters? Cops? Emergency Workers? Teachers? Librarians?

Ugh..

It would take one of them..nearly 100 years to get make annual bonuses of a good number of CEOs.

It would take the average American worker 100 years to get the retirement benefits of those sucking on the public tit.

Explain why these "public servants" should live lives of opulent luxury whilst the taxpayers who support them eat dog food in retirement?

The fact is that you fascists support an aristocracy of government hacks who live far above the peasantry who support them.

What government agency do you work for? (One that doesn't require an college degree, obviously.)
If you consider my lifestyle as a retired civil servant to be "opulent luxury" in comparison to your own then you must be living in a tent and eating dog food. What I have to say is you really should have taken a civil service job.

Ugh..

It would take one of them..nearly 100 years to get make annual bonuses of a good number of CEOs.

It would take the average American worker 100 years to get the retirement benefits of those sucking on the public tit.

Explain why these "public servants" should live lives of opulent luxury whilst the taxpayers who support them eat dog food in retirement?

The fact is that you fascists support an aristocracy of government hacks who live far above the peasantry who support them.

What government agency do you work for? (One that doesn't require an college degree, obviously.)
If you consider my lifestyle as a retired civil servant to be "opulent luxury" in comparison to your own then you must be living in a tent and eating dog food. What I have to say is you really should have taken a civil service job.

Name one person you know who has retired from the private sector who has free medical insurance for life, and gets anywhere close to the pension you do?....And please do not pick the guy down the street who worked 35 years for NJ Bell/ NYNEX/Verizon.....I am referring to the average working person not a priviledged out of the real world union worker.
The quick answer is you know no one who gets the perks you do. I know a few people here in NC that are retired state and/or municipal workers who are drawing not one but TWO pensions.
Now, how many in the private sector, the ones that pay the bills, are receiving THAT?.
Here's the deal, you know just as well that NJ property taxes have skyrocketed in the last 10 years to pay for schools and rising health care costs in the public sector. The problem that has finally come home to roost is the fact that no one before Christie looked out for the interests of the taxpayers. That time is now.
For decades, public workers in NJ were insulated from the real world. They have enjoyed virtual 100% job security. Teachers especially with the tenure system. These workers have not paid their fair share nor have they been told they had to make the same sacrifices as their private sector counterparts. In the past, the public worker union bosses would go to Trenton and tell the politicians they should "play ball" with the unions if they wanted to remain in office. That has been the status quo. "Pension and benefit funds running low? Oh, let's just raise taxes. The residents would put up with it".
That is until a report was recently released that indicated in the last 10 years, over $70billion in wealth has left New Jersey. That is residents and businesses who fled the high taxes. If that is not an indication there is a severe problem, I do not know what is.
Of the 4-5 million working people in NJ just about 600,000 are municipal county or state workers. So the majority is not only paying their bills, but the bills ot fund the public workers as well. Where's the balance? There is none. Christie is attempting to move in that direction

Ugh..

Retired civil servant? Retirement begins the day civil servants report for work.

Retired civil servant? Retirement begins the day civil servants report for work.

:lol:

public sector unions seem to think that normal market forces should not apply to them, its really that simple. The private sector lays off or stops giving raises, demands more contribution(s) from their employees for medical benefits, but, unions? no sorry, they are somehow special.

Ugh..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyCHV3DSQZE

I believe those civil servants took their jobs knowing what their compensation would be.
If they chose to, the could have done what was necessary to become a well paid CEO.

Are you saying that they made a bad choice by opting the career they chose?

Or are you saying that the CEO's made the right choice when opting for the career they chose?

I think it has more to do with terms that you don't hear anymore. Patriotism based on a faith in the American PEOPLE. The common men and women who built this country with theirs minds, hands, arms, backs and souls.

Not everyone can be a CEO, and there are not many openings. But the American worker doesn't outsource jobs, or put profits before people. He puts his family first, then his community and his country. You really can't say that about many CEO's...

Name one person you know who has retired from the private sector who has free medical insurance for life, and gets anywhere close to the pension you do?....And please do not pick the guy down the street who worked 35 years for NJ Bell/ NYNEX/Verizon.....I am referring to the average working person not a priviledged out of the real world union worker.
The quick answer is you know no one who gets the perks you do. I know a few people here in NC that are retired state and/or municipal workers who are drawing not one but TWO pensions.
Now, how many in the private sector, the ones that pay the bills, are receiving THAT?.
Here's the deal, you know just as well that NJ property taxes have skyrocketed in the last 10 years to pay for schools and rising health care costs in the public sector. The problem that has finally come home to roost is the fact that no one before Christie looked out for the interests of the taxpayers. That time is now.
For decades, public workers in NJ were insulated from the real world. They have enjoyed virtual 100% job security. Teachers especially with the tenure system. These workers have not paid their fair share nor have they been told they had to make the same sacrifices as their private sector counterparts. In the past, the public worker union bosses would go to Trenton and tell the politicians they should "play ball" with the unions if they wanted to remain in office. That has been the status quo. "Pension and benefit funds running low? Oh, let's just raise taxes. The residents would put up with it".
That is until a report was recently released that indicated in the last 10 years, over $70billion in wealth has left New Jersey. That is residents and businesses who fled the high taxes. If that is not an indication there is a severe problem, I do not know what is.
Of the 4-5 million working people in NJ just about 600,000 are municipal county or state workers. So the majority is not only paying their bills, but the bills ot fund the public workers as well. Where's the balance? There is none. Christie is attempting to move in that direction

Another post in which you demonstrate that you want nothing more then to claw at people in the same economic bracket as yourself. We've got a real problem in this country. There's a 13 Trillion dollar economy and about 300 million people. Everyone should be unbelievably wealthy. But that's not the case.

And if the way we do things is to cut off access to good and services to a large number of people..while funneling them to a small number of people..then it's going to get ugly.

public sector unions seem to think that normal market forces should not apply to them, its really that simple. The private sector lays off or stops giving raises, demands more contribution(s) from their employees for medical benefits, but, unions? no sorry, they are somehow special.

That's basically because the public sector eliminated Unions through employee "capture", lobbying, and backing politicians friendly to their causes. And they've totally flipped the game. In times of record profits..they still lay off..to make even more profit. This profit doesn't filter back into the economy either. It gets sloshed from one pocket to another. And did so remarkably during this last financial meltdown. Did the risk takers cover their risks? Absolutely not. Quite the contrary..they profited handsomely while the very people they riff against..paid down their "mistakes".

Name one person you know who has retired from the private sector who has free medical insurance for life, and gets anywhere close to the pension you do.

[...]
When you start off wrong you end up wandering in circles.

I don't know what your reference is, possibly New Jersey civil service (which I know nothing about), but I'm retired from New York City civil service. I had GHI/BlueCross/Blue Shield which I paid just as much for as would anyone in the private sector (depending on the size of their subscriber pool). The City paid the same share of the cost as any private employer would pay. I continued paying the same cost when I retired. I did not, as you suggest, receive free medical insurance as part of my active or retirement benefit packages.

When I reached 65 I switched to Medicare but I continue to pay for GHI/Blue Cross/Blue Shield supplemental insurance. So if the civil service entity you are resentful of is out of line in terms of its benefits, and I'm sure some are, don't assume that all civil service benefit packages are the same.

There are many advantages to civil service employment, most important of which is job security. My parents survived the Great Depression and their advice to us was to get civil service jobs and invest in nothing but U.S. Savings Bonds. I took their advice and I have no regrets. Those who complain about civil service workers could have done the same. All that's required is a test and fulfillment of the job requirements.

So it's not like we're a privileged class.

Sort of like an Auschwitz guard telling a gas chamber bound inmate that they should have taken a Gestapo job...

Time for government worker to play by the same rules as the public.

Scott Walker for President!

Forum List

Back