Civil Servants under attack by the Right Wing.

The current budgetary concern is federal overspending, not the state and local binges that were bailed out with the phony "stimulus" largess....That's context in which the OP propaganda is a misdirection and towering fail.

As a Californian, I must disagree. Our state level Civil Masters have sucked every dime the state has, or will have for the next 5 decades to fund their obscene retirement and perquisite packages. They are the entitled class.

Firefighters? Cops? Emergency Workers? Teachers? Librarians?

Ugh..

It would take one of them..nearly 100 years to get make annual bonuses of a good number of CEOs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyCHV3DSQZE

Uuuummmmm. I guess the should have chosen to be CEOs instead of civil servants.

Name one CEO you've sat in a room with?

Ronald Duncan, GCI
Chuck Vance, Vance Security
Knox Singleton, Inova Hospital Systems

That's only three off the top of my head, shall I go on?

I'm not a conservative and your projected claim of others' motivations of altruism is still a strawman.

I've concluded you're simply a faux intellectual and a crumudgeon who posts glib comments.
As for my alleged projected claim, you dishonestly post what I did not write (Straw man indeed). I wrote: "I'm not sure what motivates some people to care for others, but it's pretty clear to me that greed motivates some to disregard the needs of others, with a callous disregard.
Who says that greed necessarily involves monetary rewards?

I don't know. Are you building another staw man?
I used the word "greed" to describe the New Right ideology, in vogue today, which repuditates government as the stewert of the social contract, a concept most agree applies to all who accept any aspect provided, both tangible and intangible. Tacit acceptance of freedom or protection, for example.

And you're begging the question, a questionable question at that since the OP stipulated "civil servants," rather than "federal employees," in order to ignore the point. You think the right wing doesn't include governors, mayors, and state legislators? The left counts ours. Strategic initiatives start at the local and state levels as a testing and proving ground.
Republicans at the state level benefit by federal bailout cash that keeps ASCME afloat, just like democrat politicians do....If the rollovers of guys like Bobby Jindal and Rick Perry doesn't demonstrate that, what would?

The current budgetary concern is federal overspending, not the state and local binges that were bailed out with the phony "stimulus" largess....That's context in which the OP propaganda is a misdirection and towering fail.

Those same politicians support party initiatives, especially the idealistic ones supportive of federal policies that mirror party wishes for those directions. That was my point. Thank you for ignoring it, as that is glaring evidence that you have no rational answer to it.

ASCME is kept afloat by dues paying members. Those members may see more hours at work and higher employment because of the stimulus, god forbid.
Those members and every state and federal employee are also members of their community, patrons of local businesses, taxpayers... productive and contributing members of society.
AFSCME's pension funds were a huge beneficiary of the federal "stimulus" handout.

And don't give me that "they pay taxes too" crap...Every dime they earn -and subsequently the taxes they "pay"- comes out of the pockets of the productive in society in the first place.

If their jobs are such a low-paying burden, then they can get out into the real world and earn a living in the productive sector.

Ugh..

It would take one of them..nearly 100 years to get make annual bonuses of a good number of CEOs.

I can name many.

What does that have to do with anything?

I also know many CEO's...myself included....that worked 12 hours a day...6 to 7 days a week....52 weeks a year for years building up a company with little financial return as they employed dozens if not hundreds who were making more than they were at the time so that they can relax and enjoy the rewards of their labor later on in life.

I can name many.

I also know many CEO's...myself included....that worked 12 hours a day...6 to 7 days a week....52 weeks a year for years building up a company with little financial return as they employed dozens if not hundreds who were making more than they were at the time so that they can relax and enjoy the rewards of their labor later on in life.

So you're pulling in multi-million dollar bonuses?

Cool beans.

The propaganda piece in the OP is from AFSCME.

Again I ask, what do the letters "SCM" in AFSCME stand for?

And you're begging the question, a questionable question at that since the OP stipulated "civil servants," rather than "federal employees," in order to ignore the point. You think the right wing doesn't include governors, mayors, and state legislators? The left counts ours. Strategic initiatives start at the local and state levels as a testing and proving ground.
Republicans at the state level benefit by federal bailout cash that keeps ASCME afloat, just like democrat politicians do....If the rollovers of guys like Bobby Jindal and Rick Perry doesn't demonstrate that, what would?

Here is an aspect often overlooked- The feds, by their actions or lack of inaction, are causing states huge financial burdens. For example, the Feds go after AZ for trying to enforce immigration laws, where CA would spend more money per student than any other state if they weren't educating the illegals on the taxpayers' backs. The feds take actions that create financial hits in the billions of dollars in some states. Cases in point, turning off the water to the Central Valley in CA, not reimbursing the state for the illegals imprisoned there. Stimulus bailout would be unnecessary if the feds would do their jobs on one hand, and stay out of state business affairs on the other.

I can name many.

Cool beans.

Let's hate anyone successful outside the gubment realm.

Cool beans.......

Here is an aspect often overlooked- The feds, by their actions or lack of inaction, are causing states huge financial burdens. For example, the Feds go after AZ for trying to enforce immigration laws, where CA would spend more money per student than any other state if they weren't educating the illegals on the taxpayers' backs. The feds take actions that create financial hits in the billions of dollars in some states. Cases in point, turning off the water to the Central Valley in CA, not reimbursing the state for the illegals imprisoned there. Stimulus bailout would be unnecessary if the feds would do their jobs on one hand, and stay out of state business affairs on the other.
It wouldn't have been "necessary" if politicians and bureaucrats at the state and local levels didn't get in over their heads with their spending sprees.

Yet, somehow or another, if they don't get bailed out, it's all the fault of the feds in general and those eeeeevilll republicans in particular.

I can name many.

Cool beans.
Stereotype much?

I can name many.

Cool beans.

Nope. I am not a public company. I started my own comapny and although I struggled at the beginning, I am now a bit more comfortable...and I am happy to say I have employed many...and had many years where my employees were making more than I was...but in the end I have a company I will be able to sell...

But you didnt answer my question...

What does sitting with a CEO in a room have to do with anything?

Why are you jealous of a CEO's bonuses? Becuase he made a smarter career decision?

What about the CEO thats starts a company and fails? DO you have pity for him ; say life is unfairr do you say "you should have made smarter choices?"

And if that same CEO made it big......you would see him in a different light?

Why? Becuase he/she acheived success?

I can name many.

Cool beans.

Nope. I am not a public company. I started my own comapny and although I struggled at the beginning, I am now a bit more comfortable...and I am happy to say I have employed many...and had many years where my employees were making more than I was...but in the end I have a company I will be able to sell...

Why are you jealous of a CEO's bonuses? Becuase he made a smarter career decision?

What about the CEO thats starts a company and fails? DO you have pity for him ; say life is unfairr do you say "you should have made smarter choices?"

Congrats, you worked hard and achieved a slice of the american dream, that's the way this country is supposed to work......:clap2:

Ugh..

I will not name them, but I have sat in the room with many CEO's, CFO's, CIO's, COO's, etc.

Not all at one time mind you. What's the point?

Cool beans.

Congrats, you worked hard and achieved a slice of the american dream, that's the way this country is supposed to work......:clap2:

Ironically...if I had failed, I would have the pity of the left.

I guess the left looks up to failure and looks down upon success.

It wouldn't have been "necessary" if politicians and bureaucrats at the state and local levels didn't get in over their heads with their spending sprees.

Yet, somehow or another, if they don't get bailed out, it's all the fault of the feds in general and those eeeeevilll republicans in particular.

I'm talking generally. I didn't watch the propaganda piece in the OP.

Whether or not the states would be over their head (and CA would be, thanks in part to Schwarzenegger's job-killing environmental act in 2006 coupled with the bloated pension system) what the feds "blessed" upon the state of CA in the form of "stimulus spending" is just a drop in the bucket in terms of financial damage they have done by their action/inaction. Couple that with the bills they have left unpaid, such as the compensation for the imprisoned illegals. I'm just pointing out that their isn't as much greed by the states as much as there is fair retribution, imo. If the feds create the mess, the feds should clean it up. Nothing more, nothing less.

And you're begging the question, a questionable question at that since the OP stipulated "civil servants,"

I'll beg this question: you use the term "civil servant," but who serves whom? I don't see government employees contributing to my retirement. I don't see factory workers designated as "never to be layed off." I don't see retail workers getting 5% raises in the middle of recessions as government employees do.

So shouldn't we really refer to those at the public trough as our "civil masters?" We the peasantry serve them, not the other way around.

Oh, for god's sake.
The vast majority of civil servants make at best an average income, work their asses off, and even at the state and local levels face MASSIVE and career ending layoffs. They spend money at local businesses, they pay taxes to their community, as your neighbors, they call the fire department if they see your house on fire and they might plow your mother's driveway.

What amazes me is that the idea that contracted benefits (overall very modest ones at that once upon a time when the American corporations understood sustainability) of government, local, and state employees are an obscenity is swallowed whole in the same breath that that excuses private industry for raising your prices based on the last dime the largest demographic has to spend, and paying their bureaucrats (ceos, its ALL administration, people, you pay for it to private, you pay for it to public) a damned sight more than our civil servants, even the State and local representatives.

I can name many.

Cool beans.

I ain't "jealous" of shit. I am angry at public subsidized "private" companies with executives making obscenes amount of cash. Make no mistake..it's on the public dole.

And I am angry at the very same political faction, the right wing, that on one hand facilitates this feckless theft of the public trust and on the other hand wants to gyp the very people that keep us safe, educated and healthy.

Forum List

Back