Civil Servants under attack by the Right Wing.

Firefighters? Cops? Emergency Workers? Teachers? Librarians?

Ugh..

It would take one of them..nearly 100 years to get make annual bonuses of a good number of CEOs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyCHV3DSQZE

I believe those civil servants took their jobs knowing what their compensation would be.
If they chose to, the could have done what was necessary to become a well paid CEO.

Are you saying that they made a bad choice by opting the career they chose?

Or are you saying that the CEO's made the right choice when opting for the career they chose?

I think that we, as a society, have our values back-asswards.

I'm not a conservative and your projected claim of others' motivations of altruism is still a strawman.

I've concluded you're simply a faux intellectual and a crumudgeon who posts glib comments.
As for my alleged projected claim, you dishonestly post what I did not write (Straw man indeed). I wrote: "I'm not sure what motivates some people to care for others, but it's pretty clear to me that greed motivates some to disregard the needs of others, with a callous disregard.

Firefighters, cops and teachers are state and local employees, not federal bureaucrats.

Get a new scare tactic, because this dog don't hunt.

One only needs to look at Chris Christie to know that this isn't the case. When Christie tore apart the teacher on youtube, many conservatives went wild with glee.

Firefighters, cops and teachers are state and local employees, not federal bureaucrats.

Get a new scare tactic, because this dog don't hunt.

You don't think federal bureaucracies have people who do the actual work ? Who does it then? Fairies?
The propaganda piece in the OP is from AFSCME.

Again I ask, what do the letters "SCM" in AFSCME stand for?

And you're begging the question, a questionable question at that since the OP stipulated "civil servants," rather than "federal employees," in order to ignore the point. You think the right wing doesn't include governors, mayors, and state legislators? The left counts ours. Strategic initiatives start at the local and state levels as a testing and proving ground.

I'm not a conservative and your projected claim of others' motivations of altruism is still a strawman.

I've concluded you're simply a faux intellectual and a crumudgeon who posts glib comments.
As for my alleged projected claim, you dishonestly post what I did not write (Straw man indeed). I wrote: "I'm not sure what motivates some people to care for others, but it's pretty clear to me that greed motivates some to disregard the needs of others, with a callous disregard.
Who says that greed necessarily involves monetary rewards?

The propaganda in thet OP didn't mention any of those bureaucrats, Snooki.

Try again.

Are you suggesting the Federal Government does not employee cops, firefighters, librarians, emergency workers or teachers? Are you really that ill-informed?

Those people are paid by their respective states, unless they specifically work for the feds.

Ugh..

It would take one of them..nearly 100 years to get make annual bonuses of a good number of CEOs.

It would take the average American worker 100 years to get the retirement benefits of those sucking on the public tit.

Explain why these "public servants" should live lives of opulent luxury whilst the taxpayers who support them eat dog food in retirement?

The fact is that you fascists support an aristocracy of government hacks who live far above the peasantry who support them.

What government agency do you work for? (One that doesn't require an college degree, obviously.)

You don't think federal bureaucracies have people who do the actual work ? Who does it then? Fairies?

And you're begging the question, a questionable question at that since the OP stipulated "civil servants," rather than "federal employees," in order to ignore the point. You think the right wing doesn't include governors, mayors, and state legislators? The left counts ours. Strategic initiatives start at the local and state levels as a testing and proving ground.
Republicans at the state level benefit by federal bailout cash that keeps ASCME afloat, just like democrat politicians do....If the rollovers of guys like Bobby Jindal and Rick Perry doesn't demonstrate that, what would?

The current budgetary concern is federal overspending, not the state and local binges that were bailed out with the phony "stimulus" largess....That's context in which the OP propaganda is a misdirection and towering fail.

Altruism is a total myth and strawman.

Egoistic Motives for Helping Others
The case against altruism can be very persuasive because we can benefit in many ways from helping others. Some ways are obvious, as when we get paid or praised for what we do, or escape punishment or censure. Even when we help in the absence of external rewards, we may still benefit. As Mandeville suggested, seeing someone in distress—the babe ready to drop into the fire—may cause us distress, and we help because it relieves our distress. Or we may help to feel good about ourselves for being kind. Or to escape feeling guilt and shame for being callous.
Even heroes and martyrs can benefit from their acts of apparent selflessness. Consider soldiers who save their comrades by diving on a grenade. They may have acted to escape anticipated guilt and shame for letting others die. Or to mgain the admiration and praise of those left behind—or rewards in an afterlife. Or they may simply have misjudged the situation, not realizing their actions would cost them their lives. The suggestion that heroic acts could be motivated by self-benefit may seem cynical, but it must be faced if we are to know whether altruism really exists.

Altruism: Myth or Reality? | in-mind.org

That is the saddest conclusion to come from the understanding of human behavior I've seen. All of the above is factually correct, if worded in such a way that suggests that the only way ANY good deed could be motivated by altruistic motives was if it really, really sucked, doing it made someone feel like they clubbed a baby seal, slid on the ice into a pile of steaming cow shit, and set themselves on fire after because of the pain and shame of it all.

Ugh..

It would take the average American worker 100 years to get the retirement benefits of those sucking on the public tit.

Explain why these "public servants" should live lives of opulent luxury whilst the taxpayers who support them eat dog food in retirement?

The fact is that you fascists support an aristocracy of government hacks who live far above the peasantry who support them.

What government agency do you work for? (One that doesn't require an college degree, obviously.)
But...but....but....RICH CEOs!...WALL STREET BONUSES!...TAX CUTS FOR THE WEALTHY!...LOCUSTS!...:rolleyes:

Altruism is a total myth and strawman.

Egoistic Motives for Helping Others
The case against altruism can be very persuasive because we can benefit in many ways from helping others. Some ways are obvious, as when we get paid or praised for what we do, or escape punishment or censure. Even when we help in the absence of external rewards, we may still benefit. As Mandeville suggested, seeing someone in distress—the babe ready to drop into the fire—may cause us distress, and we help because it relieves our distress. Or we may help to feel good about ourselves for being kind. Or to escape feeling guilt and shame for being callous.
Even heroes and martyrs can benefit from their acts of apparent selflessness. Consider soldiers who save their comrades by diving on a grenade. They may have acted to escape anticipated guilt and shame for letting others die. Or to mgain the admiration and praise of those left behind—or rewards in an afterlife. Or they may simply have misjudged the situation, not realizing their actions would cost them their lives. The suggestion that heroic acts could be motivated by self-benefit may seem cynical, but it must be faced if we are to know whether altruism really exists.

Altruism: Myth or Reality? | in-mind.org

That is the saddest conclusion to come from the understanding of human behavior I've seen. All of the above is factually correct, if worded in such a way that suggests that the only way ANY good deed could be motivated by altruistic motives was if it really, really sucked, doing it made someone feel like they clubbed a baby seal, slid on the ice into a pile of steaming cow shit, and set themselves on fire after because of the pain and shame of it all.
The fact being that people act on motivations of reward other than monetary gain.

That you value the "selfless" act of someone who acts with more regard for their values system is more about you than it is about them.

And you're begging the question, a questionable question at that since the OP stipulated "civil servants,"

I'll beg this question: you use the term "civil servant," but who serves whom? I don't see government employees contributing to my retirement. I don't see factory workers designated as "never to be layed off." I don't see retail workers getting 5% raises in the middle of recessions as government employees do.

So shouldn't we really refer to those at the public trough as our "civil masters?" We the peasantry serve them, not the other way around.

Republicans at the state level benefit by federal bailout cash that keeps ASCME afloat, just like democrat politicians do....If the rollovers of guys like Bobby Jindal and Rick Perry doesn't demonstrate that, what would?

The current budgetary concern is federal overspending, not the state and local binges that were bailed out with the phony "stimulus" largess....That's context in which the OP propaganda is a misdirection and towering fail.

Those same politicians support party initiatives, especially the idealistic ones supportive of federal policies that mirror party wishes for those directions. That was my point. Thank you for ignoring it, as that is glaring evidence that you have no rational answer to it.

ASCME is kept afloat by dues paying members. Those members may see more hours at work and higher employment because of the stimulus, god forbid.
Those members and every state and federal employee are also members of their community, patrons of local businesses, taxpayers... productive and contributing members of society.

Forum List

Back