Civil rights veterans: Today's hate rhetoric is deja vu

AllieBaba, that is a silly unsupported opinion. My goodness.

What's silly about it? It happens all the time. People are fleeing left run communities because they are falling apart, yet they dont change their voting habits. Lo and behold the new communities are getting worse and then people start fleeing there.

I was talking about small town South on an angle from Chattanooga (I love that town!) to your burg to Houston. I travel those roads quite a bit, RadiomanATL. The big cities have come a long long way. I have been told Montgomery is a good place to live for everybody. Who ever woulda thought it?

you're a bigot.

who ever woulda thought it?

Civil rights veterans: Today's hate rhetoric is deja vu - CNN.com

Hayden said that when she retired to Tucson, she never expected to experience the dread she once felt as a civil rights worker in Mississippi.

But in recent months, she said she had felt a familiar sense of foreboding.

She said she saw hundreds of Tea Party members shout down Giffords at a town hall meeting. She saw scores of ordinary Arizonans openly carry guns around town. She noted the rising ethnic strife.

"I told people, this is the new Mississippi," Hayden said. "This is where the focus of the resurgence of right-wing hostility is located."

This is the kind of ignorance I would expect of someone from Mississippi. They aren't exactly known for their Ivy League education.

I was talking about small town South on an angle from Chattanooga (I love that town!) to your burg to Houston. I travel those roads quite a bit, RadiomanATL. The big cities have come a long long way. I have been told Montgomery is a good place to live for everybody. Who ever woulda thought it?

I live in a small town outside of Atlanta. Grew up, and still visit at least twice a year, small town in the Florida panhandle. Still don't see it any more than at any other time since I became an adult.

I am glad to hear that.

you're a bigot.

Recognizing and calling out bigotry does not make one a bigot.

This is an issue I have with both sides accusing the responsible and reasonable calling out of the other side for bigotry as being bigotry itself.

It is not.

Yeah, there is a lot of shouting, and hate groups are on the rise. But the violence (even with the Tucson tragedy) is nothing like it was in the fifties and sixties. Yet. Time will tell.

One person's 'shouting' is another person's 'passion'. One person's 'hate group' is another person's 'group'. If people could recognize the difference between these things, that would be a good start. Instead, we choose to label anyone who disagrees with us as a 'hater', and anyone who is passionate as 'dangerous'.

Hysteria gets us nowhere.

you're a bigot.

This is an issue I have with both sides accusing the responsible and reasonable calling out of the other side for bigotry as being bigotry itself.

It is not.

It does when you only recognize the bigotry when it suits some sort of point you want to score. Like Jesse Jackson and the NAACP calling out the bigotry of Paul LePAge in not attending MLK events, and ignoring the fact that he has a black son, and not calling out the bigotry of groups like the Congressional Black Caucus. Then we have Glenn Beck running around pointing out that affirmative action is discrimination, and he ignores the fact that the Mormon Church still excludes blacks from complete access to church activities.

Hayden said that when she retired to Tucson, she never expected to experience the dread she once felt as a civil rights worker in Mississippi.

She said she saw hundreds of Tea Party members shout down Giffords at a town hall meeting. She saw scores of ordinary Arizonans openly carry guns around town. She noted the rising ethnic strife.

"I told people, this is the new Mississippi," Hayden said. "This is where the focus of the resurgence of right-wing hostility is located."

dude.............reeealllllly?

I live in a small town outside of Atlanta. Grew up, and still visit at least twice a year, small town in the Florida panhandle. Still don't see it any more than at any other time since I became an adult.

thots cuz U in it, liv' in it.....dun bred bies it....nah get ur wool cap ond let go skeeter huntin'...

I lived in Tucson for four years and I can tell you this is bull shit! Another winny liberal who can't argue the issues, so she tries to play the race card!

People at the townhall meetings were angry that their previous bluedog democrat voted for the Obamanation Bill because she was fearful of Democratic leader isolation! Many people got loud, insulting and HEATED, but that is not the equivalent of hatred based on race during the civil rights movement. They were angry at her ideology and it had nothing to do with her race or YES RELIGION (which as a fellow Jew I would call out antisemitism if I saw it).

They carry guns! OMG Arizona is a gun carrying state! They allow people to get permits to carry guns. Private citizens carrying guns in which the law allows them to do is MUCH DIFFERENT THAN KKK MEMBERS using guns on Blacks in the 50s-60s! (Note: The AZ killer didn't have the permit to carry, so stick it!)

In Arizona that majority of violent crimes and murder are committed in this order:

(1) Blacks
(2) Latinos
(3) Illegals of Any race
(4) Whites
(5) Asians
Thoughtcrime: Liberals Lie About Who Commits Crime in America

That is not racism that is fact!

you're a bigot.

It is not.

It does when you only recognize the bigotry when it suits some sort of point you want to score. Like Jesse Jackson and the NAACP calling out the bigotry of Paul LePAge in not attending MLK events, and ignoring the fact that he has a black son, and not calling out the bigotry of groups like the Congressional Black Caucus. Then we have Glenn Beck running around pointing out that affirmative action is discrimination, and he ignores the fact that the Mormon Church still excludes blacks from complete access to church activities.

What activities does the Mormon Church exclude blacks from?

No, it's not. My goodness yourself, you condescending asswad.

Then support it with solid evidence, oh supporter of the defender of the vague nonsense! No, I mean it, AB:don't pull the CF nonsense. You whinge fright fringe out there on the far far right have to actually support your yelling. Not one of you have done it here. If you can't do it, then I suggest politely that you ignore me.

What's silly about it? It happens all the time. People are fleeing left run communities because they are falling apart, yet they dont change their voting habits. Lo and behold the new communities are getting worse and then people start fleeing there.

That is a vague fright statement. Give us solid evidence that (1) it is happening, and (2) that it is not happening in far right communties.

You may be right. But we don't know if you don't support it. Generalities don't cut it.

This is what is wrong with CF and Revere: lots of yelling but their talk ends up smelling.

Give us the evidence.

Trajan and that ilk have not offered anything worthwhile to discuss. Name calling does not get anywhere with me, and I generally ignore the loons left and right who do it.

Now can someone offer a good argument that we are not seeing the same nonsense again from the right and left that we saw back then.

Forum List

Back