Civil Rights Movement Quiz

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004

1. Jim Crow laws and customs enforced racial segregation and discrimination in the United States, especially in the South. Who was Jim Crow?
a. A character in a minstrel show
b. A segregationist minister from Alabama
c. A character in Uncle Tom’s Cabin

2. In 1961 Freedom Riders (black and white) traveled around the South in buses, riding from Washington, D.C. to Jackson, Mississippi, where they were arrested and imprisoned. What was the purpose of the Freedom Rides?
a. To support Rosa Parks, who was jailed for refusing to give up her bust seat to a white passenger.
b. To transport protesters to and from the March on Washington
c. To test a court decision that declared segregation illegal in bus stations that were open to interstate travel

3. Whites in Little Rock, Arkansas, rioted to protest the integration of Central High School. Federal troops were sent in to maintain order. Who sent the troops to Little Rock?
a. John F. Kennedy
b. Dwight D. Eisenhower
c. Lyndon B. Johnson

4. In 1962 a black man applied for admission to the all-white University of Mississippi. A federal court ordered the university to desegregate, but the governor of Mississippi defied the order and tried to prevent the man from enrolling. The Kennedy Administration sent federal marshals with the student when he enrolled. What was the student’s name?
a. James Meredith
b. Medgar Evers
c. Jesse Jackson

5. Martin Luther King, Jr., was shot and killed in Memphis, Tennessee, on April 4, 1968. Why was King in Memphis?
a. To give his “I Have A Dream” speech
b. To support striking workers
c. To take part in the NAACP’s “Jobs and Freedom” march

6. It is widely known that Jackie Robinson was the player who broke the color barrier in major league baseball. Who was the baseball executive who hired Robinson?
a. Abner Doubleday
b. Branch Rickey
c. Kenesaw Mountain Landis

7. Many events during the Civil Rights Movement in the United States turned violent. What event is known as Bloody Sunday?
a. A church bombing in which four children were killed
b. A police attack on voting rights marchers
c. The murder of three young civil rights workers (a black volunteer and his white coworkers)

8. One of the best known proponents of civil disobedience (refusal to obey civil laws or decrees), Martin Luther King, Jr., advocated nonviolent protest in the fight for civil rights. He was not, however, the first person to set forth the basic tenets of civil disobedience. Who was?
a. Henry David Thoreau
b. Ralph Waldo Emerson
c. Mohandas Gandhi

9. A constitutional amendment guaranteed African American men the right to vote: “The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State or account on account of race, color or previous condition of servitude.” What amendment is this?
a. 13th Amendment
b. 15th Amendment
c. 19th Amendment

10. School desegregation was a major part of the Civil Rights Movement of the mid-20th century. But challenges to segregation arose around the country even earlier in states such as Arkansas, Massachusetts, and Mississippi. What was the first legal challenge to segregated schools?
a. Brown v. Board of Education
b. Sweatt v. Painter
c. Roberts v. City of Boston

11. In 1967 President Lyndon Johnson appointed the National Commission on Civil Disorders and charged the commission with investigating urban riots in the United States. In 1968 the commission released its report, which warned, “Our nation is moving toward two societies, one black, one white—separate and unequal.” What was the name of the report?
a. Kerner Report
b. Warren Report
c. A Nation at Risk

12. The Civil Rights Memorial, which honors 40 people who gave their lives between 1954 and 1968 in the fight for racial equality, was dedicated in 1989. Where is this memorial located?
a. Washington, D.C.
b. Montgomery, AL
c. Memphis, TN

Answers posted on Wednesday.

I teach this stuff, I'm not sure about a couple.

1. Jim Crow laws and customs enforced racial segregation and discrimination in the United States, especially in the South. Who was Jim Crow?
a. A character in a minstrel show
b. A segregationist minister from Alabama
c. A character in Uncle Tom’s Cabin

2. In 1961 Freedom Riders (black and white) traveled around the South in buses, riding from Washington, D.C. to Jackson, Mississippi, where they were arrested and imprisoned. What was the purpose of the Freedom Rides?
a. To support Rosa Parks, who was jailed for refusing to give up her bust seat to a white passenger.
b. To transport protesters to and from the March on Washington
c. To test a court decision that declared segregation illegal in bus stations that were open to interstate travel

3. Whites in Little Rock, Arkansas, rioted to protest the integration of Central High School. Federal troops were sent in to maintain order. Who sent the troops to Little Rock?
a. John F. Kennedy
b. Dwight D. Eisenhower
c. Lyndon B. Johnson

4. In 1962 a black man applied for admission to the all-white University of Mississippi. A federal court ordered the university to desegregate, but the governor of Mississippi defied the order and tried to prevent the man from enrolling. The Kennedy Administration sent federal marshals with the student when he enrolled. What was the student’s name?
a. James Meredith
b. Medgar Evers
c. Jesse Jackson

5. Martin Luther King, Jr., was shot and killed in Memphis, Tennessee, on April 4, 1968. Why was King in Memphis?
a. To give his “I Have A Dream” speech
b. To support striking workers
c. To take part in the NAACP’s “Jobs and Freedom” march

6. It is widely known that Jackie Robinson was the player who broke the color barrier in major league baseball. Who was the baseball executive who hired Robinson?
a. Abner Doubleday
b. Branch Rickey
c. Kenesaw Mountain Landis

7. Many events during the Civil Rights Movement in the United States turned violent. What event is known as Bloody Sunday?
a. A church bombing in which four children were killed
b. A police attack on voting rights marchers
c. The murder of three young civil rights workers (a black volunteer and his white coworkers)

8. One of the best known proponents of civil disobedience (refusal to obey civil laws or decrees), Martin Luther King, Jr., advocated nonviolent protest in the fight for civil rights. He was not, however, the first person to set forth the basic tenets of civil disobedience. Who was?
a. Henry David Thoreau
b. Ralph Waldo Emerson
c. Mohandas Gandhi

9. A constitutional amendment guaranteed African American men the right to vote: “The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State or account on account of race, color or previous condition of servitude.” What amendment is this?
a. 13th Amendment
b. 15th Amendment
c. 19th Amendment

10. School desegregation was a major part of the Civil Rights Movement of the mid-20th century. But challenges to segregation arose around the country even earlier in states such as Arkansas, Massachusetts, and Mississippi. What was the first legal challenge to segregated schools?
a. Brown v. Board of Education
b. Sweatt v. Painter
c. Roberts v. City of Boston

11. In 1967 President Lyndon Johnson appointed the National Commission on Civil Disorders and charged the commission with investigating urban riots in the United States. In 1968 the commission released its report, which warned, “Our nation is moving toward two societies, one black, one white—separate and unequal.” What was the name of the report?
a. Kerner Report
b. Warren Report
c. A Nation at Risk

12. The Civil Rights Memorial, which honors 40 people who gave their lives between 1954 and 1968 in the fight for racial equality, was dedicated in 1989. Where is this memorial located?
a. Washington, D.C.
b. Montgomery, AL
c. Memphis, TN

Answers posted on Wednesday.

If Bobby Kennedy were alive today, king would be in prison. He was a womanizing drunkard communist and a hate monger. There has never been a purer racist than king. A lot of people celebrate today, but a lot of people, including me, celebrate April 4th. I won't even drive on a road named after him if I know it before hand.

If Bobby Kennedy were alive today, king would be in prison. He was a womanizing drunkard communist and a hate monger. There has never been a purer racist than king. A lot of people celebrate today, but a lot of people, including me, celebrate April 4th. I won't even drive on a road named after him if I know it before hand.

Did I ever tell you the story about being lost in Oklahoma City on Dec. 22, 1996 at 1:00a.m., freezing rain, and on MARTIN LUTHER KING BLVD.

I hate the street too.....................:sad:

You are wrong. Jesse Jackson (who was part of the conspiracy to killl MLK) is a bigger racist.

The reason why we have so many urban streets named after MLK is that it makes it easy for out-of-towners to identify the high crime areas and avoid them.

Forum List

Back