Civil Rights act of 1964

It was a bit slower than that. I think it started after FDR that the Dems became more liberal and the Republicans more regressive. Around the time of George Wallace I think is when the drift was over.

Do let us recall, please, that while former governor George Wallace was still an unrepentent racist, he said of the parties

"There's isn't a dime's worth of difference between them."

I happen to think that the Civil Rights Bill 1964 was good thing.

At the time, of course, I was a young teen surrounded by racists adults who thought passage of this law was the end of the world and so naturally I agreed with them then.

By 1968 or so I began to think my elders were basically nuts.​

We live and learn, folks.​

Social ills skyrocketed after the war on poverty was implemented.

Out of wedlock births, drug use, unemployment, crime, illiteracy, gang violence, STD's, you name it. That's what happens when daddy is replaced by a welfare check, and kids grow up without a father.

Roast in hell, LBJ!

Blowback, to be sure.

We lost the war on poverty, I quite agree.

LOL

The Dixiecrats broke from the Democratic party because of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and became Republicans ...

And the South has been Republican dominated ever since ....

LOL
Well, that explains why Democrats dominated local politics in the South for 140 years. :cuckoo:

Last edited:
Well, that explains why Democrats dominated local politics in the South for 140 years. :cuckoo:

Not after Nixon's southern strategy. In between they had the States' Rights Party. They avoided the Repubs before that because it was the "party of Lincoln".

Why do you think running on G-d Gun's and Gays works in the southern states? And why do you think the repubs run on those issues when they're really irrelevant given the real issues that we face?

So you know which party was the more racist party back then. Now lets see how good you are at current events. Which party is the more racist party today.

a. democrats

b. republicans

Well, being that the Democrats have a former KKK member in their party and the Republicans do not....I will say Democrats.

Last edited:
Ok y'all start naming all of the Republican African American Congressmen, Senators, and Governors since 1964.

Ready.

Set.

Go!

Not after Nixon's southern strategy. In between they had the States' Rights Party. They avoided the Repubs before that because it was the "party of Lincoln".

Why do you think running on G-d Gun's and Gays works in the southern states? And why do you think the repubs run on those issues when they're really irrelevant given the real issues that we face?

Exactly.

Thx, jillian.

Ok y'all start naming all of the Republican African American Congressmen, Senators, and Governors since 1964.

Ready.

Set.

Go!

You are aware that the Black Caucus in the Congress expelled from it's meetings the only African American that came was Republican and came to those meetings and events?

By the way, your attempt to divert fails. When 90 percent of the black voters vote for one party there won't be many in the other party.

Now a more appropriate question would be which Administrations appointed the MOST blacks to high office. You will Find Republican Administration top that list. Including all those Uncle Toms serving in Bush's Administration.

Careful now... You guys are going to be labeled racists. liars, etc... because that is not what they are taught in school, even though it is true.

Gotta love public education!!!! LOL Another thriving government program.... LOL

That's odd.

That's what they taught me in school.

That how I KNOW that the Reps and Dems have been dancing around positions like these for generations.

Perhaps you weren't paying attention that day or something?

1964. The southern Democrats did not abandon the party at all. And the sure as hell did not leave over civil rights just to join the party that supported it even more so then the democratic party.

RGS

How would you interpret this with the Republican Southern Strategy?

From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

Last edited:
RGS

How would you interpret this with the Republican Southern Strategy?

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The republicans in the South are not racists. Now some will be for sure, as there will be racists in EVERY party. GunnyL already provide the reason lots of democrats broke with the party in the late 70's early 80's. Of course any viable party is going to work to get as many voters on their side as they can. It used to be accepted knowledge that you needed the South to win the Presidency. The Electoral college has changed since those days though.

Further if you check the south you will find that while they may vote Republican in National Offices they still tend to vote democrat at the local and State level.

You are aware that the Black Caucus in the Congress expelled from it's meetings the only African American that came was Republican and came to those meetings and events?

And that has exactly what to do with my request?

By the way, your attempt to divert fails. When 90 percent of the black voters vote for one party there won't be many in the other party.

You are incorrect, my "attempt to divert" hasn't "failed."

You're 90% statistic is what has failed. There are about 39 million African Americans in this country, that leaves you guys a 3.9 million person pool to pick from ... surely the color blind republicans could find some of those guys to put into office.

Now a more appropriate question would be which Administrations appointed the MOST blacks to high office. You will Find Republican Administration top that list. Including all those Uncle Toms serving in Bush's Administration.

^ And this is a punt.

How weak.

You didn't even name one.

You are incorrect, my "attempt to divert" hasn't "failed."

You're 90% statistic is what has failed. There are about 39 million African Americans in this country, that leaves you guys a 3.9 million person pool to pick from ... surely the color blind republicans could find some of those guys to put into office.

You didn't even name one.

J.C. Watts was one. But see More black Republicans contemplate campaigns | Insight on the News | Find Articles at BNET It's a little old but at least it's on point.

Of the 3.9 million you would have to find someone who is crazy enough to run for office and qualified too. That's hard enough in any population. To say nothing of actually getting elected.

The republicans in the South are not racists. Now some will be for sure, as there will be racists in EVERY party. GunnyL already provide the reason lots of democrats broke with the party in the late 70's early 80's. Of course any viable party is going to work to get as many voters on their side as they can. It used to be accepted knowledge that you needed the South to win the Presidency. The Electoral college has changed since those days though.

Further if you check the south you will find that while they may vote Republican in National Offices they still tend to vote democrat at the local and State level.

No, I know the Republican Party of today is not racist. I think at times they pander to racist elements, but in general they are not.

I also understand why conservatives in the country, not just the South, moved away from the Democrats in the 70s and 80s as the party shifted left. So it would be incorrect to say that conservatives moved away from the Democrats only because of race.

I guess what I'm trying to understand is back in the 1960s, elements that supported segregation tended to be conservatives who were a part of the Democrat party, and the Republican party actively went after that vote in a manner that appears unseemly.

For example, I believe Ronald Reagan - a President whom I generally admire - made his first campaign speech in Philadelphia Mississippi, the town where the movie "Mississippi Burning" is set. That is highly symbolic and not accidental. I believe that Reagan didn't have a racist bone in his body, but I also think some Republicans have cynically used race to win votes.

Reagan's Race Legacy (washingtonpost.com)

Forum List

Back