Civil Rights 101

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
1. Which President send in the 101st Airborne to enforce the order to desegregate schools in Little Rock?

a. LBJ
b. Ike

2. Which President first proposed a Civil Right Bill that created a Civil Right division in the Justice Department, a commission that would investigate voting irregularities, allow the AG to sue to enforce civil rights and prosecute voting rights violations?

a. LBJ
b. Ike

3. Who as Senate Majority Leader refuse to let the bill described in 2 proposed in 1957 come to a vote for 7 years?

a. LBJ
b. Robert Byrd

Who said the following about Thurgood Marshall, “Son, when I appoint a ****** to the court, I want everyone to know he’s a ******.”

a. LBJ
b. Ike

1. Which President send in the 101st Airborne to enforce the order to desegregate schools in Little Rock?

a. LBJ
b. Ike

2. Which President first proposed a Civil Right Bill that created a Civil Right division in the Justice Department, a commission that would investigate voting irregularities, allow the AG to sue to enforce civil rights and prosecute voting rights violations?

a. LBJ
b. Ike

3. Who as Senate Majority Leader refuse to let the bill described in 2 proposed in 1957 come to a vote for 7 years?

a. LBJ
b. Robert Byrd

I'm pretty sure Ike was the President during those two questions in 1 & 2, so what's your point?

Robert Byrd was staying true to his Southern conservative roots and dogma during that time.

a. LBJ
b. Ike

a. LBJ
b. Ike

a. LBJ
b. Robert Byrd

I'm pretty sure Ike was the President during those two questions in 1 & 2, so what's your point?

Robert Byrd was staying true to his Southern conservative roots and dogma during that time.

The correct answer to 3 was a. LBJ

It's like Progressive have suddenly discovered a new continent. It's shocking, I know. I only started relearning history recently and it's the complete opposite of what we're taught.

Jake Starkey almost didn't know that Ike was President

It's funny that you guys have to go back so far to try to make a point. Republicans have done some very good thing regarding Civil Rights, but for the MOST part, they were Liberal republicans, not conservative republicans like William F. Buckley and his subsequent followers. Those cocksuckers (conservatives in BOTH parties) wanted to keep the status quo, they didn't want to CHANGE it. They wanted to keep white superiority and black second class citizenship.

Conservatives are YOU and how you and your fellow republicans (for the most part) cronies DESCRIBE YOURSELVES. :lol: So I find it quite COMICAL that you want to ride on the backs of the very people that you would call RINOS, "statists", or "big government types" today! Thanks for the laugh!!! :lol:

Why not embrace your modern conservative republican stances like this:

Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, "******, ******, ******." By 1968 you can't say "******" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "******, ******."

"RNC Chief (Ken Mehlman) to Say It Was 'Wrong' to Exploit Racial Conflict for Votes
It was called "the southern strategy," started under Richard M. Nixon in 1968, and described Republican efforts to use race as a wedge issue -- on matters such as desegregation and busing -- to appeal to white southern voters.

Ken Mehlman, the Republican National Committee chairman, this morning will tell the NAACP national convention in Milwaukee that it was "wrong."

"Earlier this week, RNC Chairman Michael Steele told a group of 200 students at DePaul University that African-Americans "don't have a reason" to vote for Republican candidates.

During his remarks he also acknowledged that for decades the GOP pursued "'Southern Strategy' that alienated many minority voters by focusing on the white male vote in the South."

Steele was asked to explain why an African-American should vote Republican at a university-sponsored discussion on the conservative movement. The RNC chairman's response: "You really don't have a reason to, to be honest -- we haven't done a very good job of really giving you one. True? True."

Steele also discussed with students his own experience being the victim of racial discrimination -- a subject that the he has openly addressed in the past. Steele told TV One's Roland Martin in November that even some of his fellow Republicans are "scared" of him because of his race. "

That's your fellow conservatives TODAY.

Last edited:

a. LBJ
b. Ike

a. LBJ
b. Ike

a. LBJ
b. Robert Byrd

The correct answer to 3 was a. LBJ

Yeah, I should have looked that up real quick. Here's a more complete story regarding LBJ:

"For Johnson, civil rights loomed as the most intractable legislative problem of the decade. The Supreme Court's 1954 ruling in Brown v. Board of Education, ordering an end to segregated schools, had outraged Southern senators. They circulated a Southern Manifesto urging massive resistance to school integration, but Johnson declined to sign it. In 1957 President Eisenhower proposed a tough civil rights bill that Southerners adamantly resisted. Johnson recognized the symbolic value of enacting the first civil rights legislation since Reconstruction, but he feared that a protracted filibuster would split his party. His removal of the key enforcement provisions of the law steered it through to enactment. Not until 1964, when Johnson was president, would a strong civil rights act finally win passage."

It's funny that you guys have to go back so far to try to make a point. Republicans have done some very good thing regarding Civil Rights, but for the MOST part, they were Liberal republicans, not conservative republicans like William F. Buckley and his subsequent followers. Those cocksuckers (conservatives in BOTH parties) wanted to keep the status quo, they didn't want to CHANGE it. They wanted to keep white superiority and black second class citizenship.

Conservatives are YOU and how you and your fellow republicans (for the most part) cronies DESCRIBE YOURSELVES. :lol: So I find it quite COMICAL that you want to ride on the backs of the very people that you would call RINOS, "statists", or "big government types" today! Thanks for the laugh!!! :lol:

Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, "******, ******, ******." By 1968 you can't say "******" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "******, ******."

"RNC Chief (Ken Mehlman) to Say It Was 'Wrong' to Exploit Racial Conflict for Votes
It was called "the southern strategy," started under Richard M. Nixon in 1968, and described Republican efforts to use race as a wedge issue -- on matters such as desegregation and busing -- to appeal to white southern voters.

Ken Mehlman, the Republican National Committee chairman, this morning will tell the NAACP national convention in Milwaukee that it was "wrong."

"Earlier this week, RNC Chairman Michael Steele told a group of 200 students at DePaul University that African-Americans "don't have a reason" to vote for Republican candidates.

During his remarks he also acknowledged that for decades the GOP pursued "'Southern Strategy' that alienated many minority voters by focusing on the white male vote in the South."

Steele was asked to explain why an African-American should vote Republican at a university-sponsored discussion on the conservative movement. The RNC chairman's response: "You really don't have a reason to, to be honest -- we haven't done a very good job of really giving you one. True? True."

Steele also discussed with students his own experience being the victim of racial discrimination -- a subject that the he has openly addressed in the past. Steele told TV One's Roland Martin in November that even some of his fellow Republicans are "scared" of him because of his race. "

The people shouting "******, ******, ******" in 1954 were: LBJ, Al Gore Sr and Bobby Byrd. Lee was talking about the Democrat Party

And it was the Democrat run schools that had to be desegregated.

It was the Republican Party started by Abe Lincoln that defeated slavery (and states right in the process)

The Conservative like Buckley and Goldwater opposed Civil Rights on principal because they believe that those rights applied to all Americans equally.

Conservative offer school choice, get your kids the hell out of the Democrat Public education Hellhole, I din't see why any minority would object to that. I'm of the belief that it is Massive Voter Fraud that accounts for Black "support" of Democrats. In a free and fair election Dems would get maybe 50% of the black vote

I wonder how the so called 'southern strategy " of decades ago is any different than the contemporary strategy of pandering to minority groups by liberal democrats?

The people shouting "******, ******, ******" in 1954 were: LBJ, Al Gore Sr and Bobby Byrd. Lee was talking about the Democrat Party

And it was the Democrat run schools that had to be desegregated.

It was the Republican Party started by Abe Lincoln that defeated slavery (and states right in the process)

The Conservative like Buckley and Goldwater opposed Civil Rights on principal because they believe that those rights applied to all Americans equally.

Conservative offer school choice, get your kids the hell out of the Democrat Public education Hellhole, I din't see why any minority would object to that. I'm of the belief that it is Massive Voter Fraud that accounts for Black "support" of Democrats. In a free and fair election Dems would get maybe 50% of the black vote

"Writing in 1957, Buckley insisted that whites in the South were “entitled to take such measures as are necessary to prevail, politically and culturally, where they do not prevail numerically,” because the white race was “for the time being, the advanced race.”
"In 2004, asked whether he’d ever taken a position he now regretted, he said “Yes. I once believed we could evolve our way up from Jim Crow. I was wrong: federal intervention was necessary.”

Neatly done. Where in ’57 he’d asserted a right even of a minority of whites to impose racial segregation by literally any means necessary, including breaking federal law, in ’04 Buckley expressed regret for having supposedly believed only that segregation would wither away without federal intervention. Stupid the man was not. He gets credited today both with honesty about his past and with having, in his own way, “evolved up.” Modern conservatives, more importantly, get to ignore the realities of their movement’s origins."

"Conservatives lost their all-out fights against school integration and the Voting Rights and Civil Rights Acts, but race long remained a defining conservative issue for TNR. In a 1969 column, Buckley hymned the research of Arthur Jensen on race and IQ, which showed blacks testing lower than whites on abstract reasoning skills, a finding from which Buckley deduced a racial imperviousness to improvement by education. In the 1970′s The National Review persistently defended apartheid South Africa on the same basis that it had once defended Jim Crow."

"Advancing states-rights and anti-judicial-review arguments against civil-rights laws had been nothing new to Buckley in ’63-’64, and his arguments certainly didn’t depend on any “formalist” urging from Rehnquist. By the time of the Goldwater campaign, nearly ten years of unrelenting objection to every form of civil-rights legislation had appeared in The National Review, weirdly blending the (supposedly race-neutral) “strict-constitutional” argument with Buckleyite claims for the right of cultures deemed superior by Buckleyites to violate the Constitution. "

"But Buckley’s ’57 essay turns that already startling idea upside down. It says that even a minority of whites has a right — nay, a duty — to take measures necessary to prevail against a majority of blacks. That kind of romantic, questing elitism did not fit the Rehnquist-Goldwater populist argument on behalf of majority and states rights in resisting federal enforcement of racial integration. Really, Buckley’s view revealed too much of what “states rights” was so often code for: white supremacy. "

As already correctly noted, the OP has succeeded only – unwittingly, needless to say – in demonstrating that at one time republicans were pragmatic, progressive, and reasonable; that moderates such as Eisenhower and liberals such as Chief Justice Earl Warren were advocates of civil liberties and champions of the Constitution.

Today that is no longer the case.

Today’s republicans have sadly become hateful enemies of individual rights, as they seek to deny due process rights to certain classes of persons in the United States, they seek to deny the right to equal protection of the law with regard to same-sex couples’ access to marriage, and they seek to destroy privacy rights with regard to marriage and procreation.

Why do conservatives invest so much energy into proving they love black people?

It's a useless endeavor.

No. 1, they don't love black people.

No. 2, nobody believes that they love black people.

No. 3, nobody is impressed by their efforts to prove as much.

Why don't conservatives instead invest energy into DEFENDING WHITE PEOPLE?

No argument from me that Ike was a better president than LBJ. It was actually Truman who desegregated the military. Ike took firm action to enforce civil rights laws.

LBJ was a paradox. He passed civil rights legislation, anti poverty laws and Medicare. Quite a legislative record for a President. It was Viet Nam and his willingness to send "just 100,000" more troops over and over that was his legacy

Personally...the man was a goon

why do conservatives invest so much energy into proving they love black people?

It's a useless endeavor.

No. 1, they don't love black people.

No. 2, nobody believes that they love black people.

No. 3, nobody is impressed by their efforts to prove as much.

Why don't conservatives instead invest energy into defending white people?

lol

I wonder how the so called 'southern strategy " of decades ago is any different than the contemporary strategy of pandering to minority groups by liberal democrats?

What percentage of democrats are white? What percentage of republicans are black?

point?

That your "Southern Strategy" comparison is not accurate. The "Southern Strategy" was exclusive, where the other strategy is inclusive. The results as far as inclusion and representation within the parties is quite obvious.

What percentage of democrats are white? What percentage of republicans are black?

point?

That your "Southern Strategy" comparison is not accurate. The "Southern Strategy" was exclusive, where the other strategy is inclusive. The results as far as inclusion and representation within the parties is quite obvious.

your quote
It was called "the southern strategy," started under Richard M. Nixon in 1968, and described Republican efforts to use race as a wedge issue "

the DNC uses race as a wedge issue and it has worked. Because we all know, only white republicans can be racists

Last edited:

Forum List

Back