Civil Discourse

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Wouldn't one think that the way to get other's to think about "your point of view" would be by civil discourse? Do you who post your political agendas (on both sides of the spectrum) really think that by calling others names and using foul language that you will sway someone to see your point of view?

Or........do you think that maybe, just maybe, if you post more like Navy1960 or Toro, to name a few off the top of my head, you may just get someone to take what you say seriously?

Think about that the next time you make a thread that you want to be taken seriously on current issues in politics, the environment, etc.

Civil Discourse.

:eusa_think:

Wouldn't one think that the way to get other's to think about "your point of view" would be by civil discourse? Do you who post your political agendas (on both sides of the spectrum) really think that by calling others names and using foul language that you will sway someone to see your point of view?

Or........do you think that maybe, just maybe, if you post more like Navy1960 or Toro, to name a few off the top of my head, you may just get someone to take what you say seriously?

Think about that the next time you make a thread that you want to be taken seriously on current issues in politics, the environment, etc.

Civil Discourse.

And one does not have to wonder why Navy1960 is one of the most respected posters here.

Last edited:
I go through phases.

When I first came onto the internets ( that series of tubes) I did not use one perjorative with anyone. I was polite and stated my case with as much deferance to my fellow poster as anyone I ever saw. (even Care who was there for my first foray into the tubes was merely my equal). I found that I was accused of calling names anyway. I would send someone looking for my infraction and they would find none. It did not matter, I was attacked with the same venom I am now. My blood pressure was greatly reduced when I started my no holds barred Fuck every other word spew phase ( care was there too and if she remembers she can tell you I painted mulitcolored murals of the entire spectrum of filth that will hang in the Flaming Obloquy Museum for an eternity). I then settled into a converstational phase where my thoughts just pour out like you were my friend and we were debating.

Last edited:

Civil Discourse.

And one wonders why Navy1960 is one of the most respected posters here.

I don't have to wonder, nor does anyone else. Just by reading his posts you can tell what kind of man he is, one with good character. He makes me think about things I may not have before, and see some issues in a different light.

That is what I'm taking about, isn't that what discussions (when serious-not our goofy ones) should be? To make us think, and discuss things in a civil manner?

Civil Discourse.

I don't have to wonder, nor does anyone else. Just by reading his posts you can tell what kind of man he is, one with good character. He makes me think about things I may not have before, and see some issues in a different light.

That is what I'm taking about, isn't that what discussions (when serious-not our goofy ones) should be? To make us think, and discuss things in a civil manner?

HE has made me rethink a few things, and he has answered my questions many times on subjects I don't know much about without insults.

Mostly I try to be nice to those who are nice to me and fight with and act like a jerk towards those who fight with and act like jerks towards me. I dont take any of it personal, this is how I would react face to face with a person, I am usually nice but if you are a jerk I can be a jerk too.

Civil Discourse.

He's a gift to this forum. He's quite simply awesome.

Civil Discourse.

I may have to dig through a pile if crap on Message Boards, but there really are golden nuggets of thought provolking discourse.

I'll second the praise for Navy1960. He's a brain and a gentleman.

Another thing to consider is that we don't even necessarily have to sway anyone to our point of view, but just keep the discourse honest and present whatever one's views may be in a clear way, to avoid confusion. It's like playing tennis. A superior opponent rasies your game.

Civil Discourse.

That's nice, but most of the MODS at USMB certainly don't believe in civil discourse at least some of the time. Just look at their posts! I'm not saying they are right or wrong. I'm just saying that "when in Rome..." That's why my attitude is mostly care free, although I try not to be ugly. To me, this is just an anonymous message board. If folks were discussing these topics in public, I'd say they'd be quite different. (Except for maybe Gunny.)

Civil Discourse.

Yes, Mother. :eusa_angel:

Civil Discourse.

MSNTseason1.jpg

Civil Discourse.

f you, you f-in' anti-merican c-nt! you (pc left-wingers and/or right-wing hypocritical theocracts) have no right to tell us how to think or talk f;jbf 'isdngfkinfi oi pfdgijfsdpfg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *continues inchoerently*

:eusa_angel:

I could be wrong but I don't see too much civil discourse to engage in. Navy, Political Chic. and Annie come to mind. I admire them. But they have all three been attacked from the "civil discoursers" on the left. But yes, it would be nice.

Civil Discourse.

MSNTseason1.jpg

USMB Membership: $15.00

Internet connection: $19.95

Subscription to clip art service: $37.50

Finding a picture of a little kid with a Dilloduck in his pocket? PRICELESS!

:rofl:

Anyone who is polite gets the same in return. Not hard to understand, and it leads to actual discussion.

Forum List

Back