Civics Lesson 101: The War on Poverty

Check all that most closely reflect your opinion:

• It is necessary that the federal government deals directly with poverty.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • The federal government does a good job dealing with poverty.

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • The federal government has made little or no difference re poverty in America.

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • The federal government has promoted poverty in America.

Votes: 34 57.6%
  • I'm somewhere in between here and will explain in my post.

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • None of the above and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
The way to find your way out of poverty is work your way out of poverty. This is not an easy thing to do. If you come from poverty, it is likely that you have nobody to show you how to do this. Outside of mastering a skill or developing a steady, consistant work ethic, you must also understand that the Boss is not automatically your enemy.

A kid who understands team work in a sports sense may not understand that it applies in a workplace, also. If he can be taught to see and communicate with the boss as he would with a coach, he will find greater success than he will if he sees the boss as a cop and communicates with him as he would if he was a criminal.

I've had the same conversation with a pretty good number of kids who are in the "first real job" trying to bring them to an understanding of how to speak with the supervisor and how to offer themselves to the team in order that they advance in the company.

The problem is not that they are stupid or that they are incapable. The problem is that they have been beat by circmstance so often that they have become afraid to hope. The slightest obstacle fulfils their own prophecy that the game is rigged. My life has taught me that there is always another way if this one doesn't work.

Their lives' experiences have often demonstrated that every way leads to the same dead end.

If you add to that sum of experience limited literacy or a criminal record, you start to understand the "cycle of poverty".

If you have nothing, it takes very little to lose it all. Every problem could spell the end and every conflict could change your life.

Good points. Experiences do affect the development of a child into a responsible adult.

The experiences fostered by the Great Society Programs have been ones of abdication of responsibility, aggrieved victimhood, and dependence upon the government. Given the generations produced, the Great Society has been an EPIC FAIL.

Last edited:
The way to find your way out of poverty is work your way out of poverty. This is not an easy thing to do. If you come from poverty, it is likely that you have nobody to show you how to do this. Outside of mastering a skill or developing a steady, consistant work ethic, you must also understand that the Boss is not automatically your enemy.

A kid who understands team work in a sports sense may not understand that it applies in a workplace, also. If he can be taught to see and communicate with the boss as he would with a coach, he will find greater success than he will if he sees the boss as a cop and communicates with him as he would if he was a criminal.

I've had the same conversation with a pretty good number of kids who are in the "first real job" trying to bring them to an understanding of how to speak with the supervisor and how to offer themselves to the team in order that they advance in the company.

The problem is not that they are stupid or that they are incapable. The problem is that they have been beat by circmstance so often that they have become afraid to hope. The slightest obstacle fulfils their own prophecy that the game is rigged. My life has taught me that there is always another way if this one doesn't work.

Their lives' experiences have often demonstrated that every way leads to the same dead end.

If you add to that sum of experience limited literacy or a criminal record, you start to understand the "cycle of poverty".

If you have nothing, it takes very little to lose it all. Every problem could spell the end and every conflict could change your life.

Good points. Experiences to affect the development of a child into a responsible adult.

The experiences fostered by the Great Society Programs have been ones of abdication of responsibility, aggrieved victimhood, and dependence upon the government. Given the generations produced, the Great Society has been an EPIC FAIL.

The only problem with your argument...it's BULLSHIT

Between 1964 and 1968, nearly one of every three poor Americans left the poverty rolls, the largest drop in a four-year period ever recorded. The war on poverty was a huge success, even though LBJ pulled funding to pay for the Vietnam War.

One thing that never changes is the right's self centered justifications, their collective fairy tales that we must all believe, so no one can say their priorities are ME, MYSELF and I.

I don't buy it, not a word of it and here's why; your fairy tale requires other people to play along and conform to a role you supply for them. There's always the 'able bodied but lazy poor person', the 'bleeding heart' liberal who just wants to hand out other people's money and of course, the clear headed 'conservative' whose 'tough love' always saves the day. The right refuses to educated themselves on what the 'War on Poverty' was about and what it wasn't about, that ignorance enables all the right wing bloviation that comes out of their asses. But it's a lot easier for you to define it under YOUR self righteous terms so you don't have to care. It is also predictable that they chose 'welfare', because that fits so neatly into their 'dependency' and 'entitlement' dismissal of others. There are reasons for and realities to poverty, you have focused on the least of them.

When JFK's brother-in law Sargent Shriver accepted LBJ's challenge and took on the 'War on Poverty' the first thing he discovered was rather startling and disturbing. Half of the Americans living in poverty were children. Another large segment were elderly and another segment were mentally and/or physically disabled. So a HUGE segment of the poor fit the TRUE definition of a dependent. So there is an obligation as a civil society to make sure those real dependents are not trampled on or extinguished.

To address some of the players in your fairy tale, voila! We have an unabashed flaming liberal...Sargent Shriver. But I hate to disappoint you. Sargent Shriver HATED welfare and had no intention of creating a handout program. He didn't believe in handouts, he believed in opportunity, responsibility, community and empowerment.. The 'War on Poverty' was called the Office of Economic Opportunity. The core principles were opportunity, responsibility, community and empowerment. The program goals were maximum feasible participation. One of the concepts of empowerment was poor people had a right to one-third of the seats on every local poverty program board, so they had a say in what were the priorities in their community. It was a community based program that focused on education as the keys to the city. Programs such as VISTA, Job Corps, Community Action Program, and Head Start were created to increase opportunity for the poor so they could pull themselves out of poverty with a hand UP, not a hand out. Even when Johnson effectively pulled the plug on the War on Poverty to fund the war in Vietnam, Shriver fought on and won. During the Shriver years more Americans got out of poverty than during any similar time in our history. (The Clinton years - employing the same philosophy - were the second best.)

Ref

OK...

Let's end Medicaid, food stamps, public assistance, subsidized housing, earned income credit, progressive income taxation, heat/energy assistance programs, public school, the minimum wage, every needs based program funded by government, and whatever else I'm leaving out.

There, now they're all gone.

Tell us, how long before we then see a substantial reduction in the amount of poverty in this country?

Don't laugh, this is what conservatives are claiming.

Well, suppose you take away half of those entitlements and give them free day care. Then tell them to go out and work or go get their GED? Probably wouldn't work now because of the job situation, but it would have worked ten years ago.

The 'War on Poverty' was called the Office of Economic Opportunity. The core principles were opportunity, responsibility, community and empowerment. The program goals were maximum feasible participation. One of the concepts of empowerment was poor people had a right to one-third of the seats on every local poverty program board, so they had a say in what were the priorities in their community. It was a community based program that focused on education as the keys to the city. Programs such as VISTA, Job Corps, Community Action Program, and Head Start were created to increase opportunity for the poor so they could pull themselves out of poverty with a hand UP, not a hand out.

This is a key point that isn't broadly understood. There are many out there who believe the War on Poverty refers to some kind of cash assistance program, which they envision to be some kind of souped-up version of AFDC.

The reality is that it refers to a series of programs aimed at providing or achieving education, job training, and individual empowerment. I suppose it would help if every time one is tempted to use the phrase "War on Poverty" he instead substitutes in some of the actual programs ("Job Corps, Neighborhood Youth Corps, Work-Study Program, Adult Basic Education, Rural Loan Program, Employment and Investment Incentives, Work Experience Program, VISTA, the Community Action Program etc").

And you're right to point out the max feas provision of the Community Action Program. The interpretation of that phrase during the implementation of the War on Poverty is a long and complicated story but it does underscore the point that the importance of individual empowerment (not cash transfers), along with skills acquisition (via educational opportunities and job training/experience ventures) was the bedrock philosophical principle underlying the "war." Exactly the sort of attitude many have taken already in this thread.

Last edited:
With no guarantee that the numbers are necessarily accurate, study the following chart:

800px-Poverty_59_to_05.png

President Johnson announced his landmark "War on Poverty" at the State of the Union Address in January, 1964.

President Obama will probably mention something akin to poverty at his State of the Union Address 47 years later in January, 2011.

So what do the numbers tell you?

Government is necessary to deal with poverty?

Government does a good job in addressing poverty?

Government makes little or no difference in reducing poverty and could have saved a shipload of the people's money--make that mega trillions--if it had not initiated a 'war on poverty'?

Government actually contributes to poverty?

Or something in between?

Or none of the above?

In framing your conclusions, bear in mind that the above graphic does not include the changing definition of 'poverty' over the years, does not highlight the temporarily 'poor' due to joblessness, etc., and does not illustrate factors such as 12 to 20 million additional undocumented people since 1980 being included in the equation.

That chart, if it proves anything at all, proves that Johnson's War on poverty might have been working until Reagan came into office and started his assault on the working class.

Bear in mind that is not what I say it proves, but it could be interpreted that way if one were foolish enough to try to make such an argument based on only one metric.

Pregnancy Rate Soars at Memphis High School

The pregnancy rate among students at a Memphis high school has reached alarming proportions, as more than 90 girls at Frayser High School in predominantly Black Shelby County, Tenn. have already given birth this year or are pregnant, according to reports.

Pregnancy Rate Soars at Memphis High School | The Afro-American Newspapers | Your Community. Your History. Your News.

Now many if not most of these girls will quit highschool and wait for their government checks. A good study would be, to look at their mothers and see if they are now on welfare. What are these kids learning from their parents?

And before the racist comments come out, I didn't write the article, I just cited it because it is recent news. I could have been in a poor white area just as easily as a poor black area.

Last edited:
With no guarantee that the numbers are necessarily accurate, study the following chart:

800px-Poverty_59_to_05.png

President Johnson announced his landmark "War on Poverty" at the State of the Union Address in January, 1964.

President Obama will probably mention something akin to poverty at his State of the Union Address 47 years later in January, 2011.

So what do the numbers tell you?

Government is necessary to deal with poverty?

Government does a good job in addressing poverty?

Government makes little or no difference in reducing poverty and could have saved a shipload of the people's money--make that mega trillions--if it had not initiated a 'war on poverty'?

Government actually contributes to poverty?

Or something in between?

Or none of the above?

In framing your conclusions, bear in mind that the above graphic does not include the changing definition of 'poverty' over the years, does not highlight the temporarily 'poor' due to joblessness, etc., and does not illustrate factors such as 12 to 20 million additional undocumented people since 1980 being included in the equation.

That chart, if it proves anything at all, proves that Johnson's War on poverty might have been working until Reagan came into office and started his assault on the working class.

Bear in mind that is not what I say it proves, but it could be interpreted that way if one were foolish enough to try to make such an argument based on only one metric.
How do you account for the fact that the numbers were falling prior to 1965?

And speaking of empty rhetoric, what's that "....until Reagan came into office and started his assault on the working class" dreck?

Last edited:
The 'War on Poverty' was called the Office of Economic Opportunity. The core principles were opportunity, responsibility, community and empowerment. The program goals were maximum feasible participation. One of the concepts of empowerment was poor people had a right to one-third of the seats on every local poverty program board, so they had a say in what were the priorities in their community. It was a community based program that focused on education as the keys to the city. Programs such as VISTA, Job Corps, Community Action Program, and Head Start were created to increase opportunity for the poor so they could pull themselves out of poverty with a hand UP, not a hand out.

This is a key point that isn't broadly understood. There are many out there who believe the War on Poverty refers to some kind of cash assistance program, which they envision to be some kind of souped-up version of AFDC.

The reality is that it refers to a series of programs aimed at providing or achieving education, job training, and individual empowerment. I suppose it would help if every time one is tempted to use the phrase "War on Poverty" he instead substitutes in some of the actual programs ("Job Corps, Neighborhood Youth Corps, Work-Study Program, Adult Basic Education, Rural Loan Program, Employment and Investment Incentives, Work Experience Program, VISTA, the Community Action Program etc").

And you're right to point out the max feas provision of the Community Action Program. The interpretation of that phrase during the implementation of the War on Poverty is a long and complicated story but it does underscore the point that the importance of individual empowerment (not cash transfers), along with skills acquisition (via educational opportunities and job training/experience ventures) was the bedrock philosophical principle underlying the "war." Exactly the sort of attitude many have taken already in this thread.
Yet, after 50 years and trillions upon trillions of dollars of expropriation and redistribution, you schmucks still mewl that poverty, hunger, homelessness and "income equity" are worse than ever.

Like that's supposed to be evidence of success? :lol::lol::lol:

We spend nearly four times per pupil in inflation adjusted dollars on education than we did 50 years ago.

Throwing more money at the education system is not the answer. The problem is one of values.

I wasn't suggesting "thowing money" at education. The implication, without being specific, was that improving our decaying education system will take a coalition of concerned people. And yes, it will cost money. But it's clear that you're not concerned, so carry on with your usual bitter commentary for all to enjoy.

Poverty breeds poverty. It takes money to make money. Lack of opportunity which results from poverty, leads to a lack of opportunity, like education, which leads to low-paying jobs, which again leads to lack of opportunity, perpetuating the cycle.

Education is the answer. Making sure that even students in crumbling schools with inadequate teachers have the opportunity to learn the same things that more affluent students are afforded. We can't continue to keep passing along failing students just because it's convenient or because quotas need to be met. Only then will the cycle begin to end. It's going to take a serious effort by both the government and local communities comprised of private enterprises stepping up to the plate.
Fifty years and $8-$10 trillion and all we get are the same tired and empty platitudes.

Talk about your perpetuating cycle of failure.

How does the blame game fix it? When you have something to offer in that regard, I'll take you seriously.

Yet, after 50 years and trillions upon trillions of dollars of expropriation and redistribution, you schmucks still mewl that poverty, hunger, homelessness and "income equity" are worse than ever.

Because the failed Reagan revolution and the 30+ years of conservative policies and governance dismantled much of the New Deal and Great Society. It eviscerated not only gains by the poor, it has destroyed the middle class.

4343827116_805f053e29_o.jpg

The root cause is philosophical, not that I harbor any illusion that you can comprehend this.

So someone with no basic education, trying to raise 3 kids alone and working two jobs should give up her refrigerator and her mode of transportation to and from those jobs because she hasn't "earned" it? Gotcha. I'm sure such a mother sits around wringing her hands that she should take a more "philosophical" approach to life.
:cuckoo:

Tell me how it is responsible for somebody with no basic education and no spouse to have three kids to support?

How about we make that a socially unattractive situation rather than go out of our way to reward it so that more people will avoid being in that position?

"Education" in poverty areas requires parenting education also. Are many of them illiterate? Yes. Are many of them capable of not being illiterate? A resounding yes. I used a simple example. You can't take an example and expand it into a fact that implies all women of poverty have more babies than they can afford.

Only took 13 posts for someone to cower behind the sainted chiiiillllldrrreeennnnnn! :lol::lol::lol:

Of course YOU were never one yourself. Actually, most of the time you don't act like a well-rounded adult either, so you float somewhere in between.

So we have made little to no difference in poverty......

I wonder why?????

No matter what you truly believe to be true; here is a little fact and history lesson.

Roughly 2000 years ago some wrote down that a man said "the poor will always be with you." or words to that effect.

Who ever said it or wrote it seems to have been right. The poor are still here 2000 years later.

Only took 13 posts for someone to cower behind the sainted chiiiillllldrrreeennnnnn! :lol::lol::lol:

Well I for one don't mind bringing the children into the mix.

What child benefits most?

The one who knows Mom didn't marry Dad and Dad never comes around but he still enjoys designer jeans, sneakers, and an Xbox?

The one who knows Mom didn't finish highschool and can't write a coherent sentence but they still have a car that runs, a good television set, and cell phones?

The one who sees Mom getting tats and smoking cigarettes and playing the lottery with full security that the government check will be there the first of each month?

or

The child who has a Mom and Dad at home and watches them budget their money to see what they can afford in the way of clothes, conveniences, luxuries?

The child who is encouraged to get a diploma like Mom and Dad and to get decent grades in school and learn responsibility through reasonable chores and maybe an afterschool job?

The child who sees Mom and Dad getting up every morning, getting cleaned up, getting appropriately dressed, and going to work to bring home a paycheck?

. . . . ..

Which of these children is less likely to wind up in poverty?

Which situation should we be promoting for children?

Those who can't answer those questions in a reasonable manner I think really don't belong in the debate.

So you define the problems and suggest what should be done (which really isn't new), but don't offer any suggestions on how to get there. THAT is the problem. Everyone (EVERYONE!!!!) knows what it is, but it is now so gigantic, it will take a helluva lot more than speeches (and money) to solve the problem.

If the demand is that the government get out of the business of education, then the private sector needs to get on board BIG TIME. Which they most certainly have not done. A few charter schools here and there financed by philanthropists, etc., where kids need to attend a lottery drawing in order to have a chance to attend one just doesn't cut it.

Last edited:

I wonder why?????

No matter what you truly believe to be true; here is a little fact and history lesson.

Roughly 2000 years ago some wrote down that a man said "the poor will always be with you." or words to that effect.

Who ever said it or wrote it seems to have been right. The poor are still here 2000 years later.

I have seen significant impact on poverty in my lifetime. Yes, we still have people we label poor, but they are not the same poor that were around in the 60s. Poor back then meant no running water, no electricity, no central heat. People still struggle today, but the definition of what makes one poor has changed

Of course YOU were never one yourself. Actually, most of the time you don't act like a well-rounded adult either, so you float somewhere in between.
Which has nothing to do with the fact that rhetorical coward leftists like you can't make your point with reason, so y'all cower behind the elderly, infirm, the pooooor and the chiiilllldrreeennnnn.

Because the failed Reagan revolution and the 30+ years of conservative policies and governance dismantled much of the New Deal and Great Society. It eviscerated not only gains by the poor, it has destroyed the middle class.
Right....It's all Reagan's fault. :rolleyes:

And the FDR/LBJ socialistic welfare state is anything but "eviscerated".

I wonder why?????

Actually, the government has made it worse. The opportunity cost of wasting $billions and $billions is immeasurable, but real. Much of that money, if left in the private sector, would have been invested in proper job creating enterprises. Instead, we have multi-generational government dependency instead of career opportunities.

What a waste of life.

Forum List

Back