City Slicker or Country Type?

I lived most of my life in traffic-clogged suburbs of L.A. Now we live on 15 wild acres in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. Does nurse their fawns beneath our windows. Possums munch dry cat kibble on the front porch. A six-point buck waits patiently, a few feet away as my husband pours dried corn for him to eat. We're not totally isolated, since we have neighbors within shouting distance. Still it's a quiet piece of heaven after spending decades on an L.A. freeway. :)

All my childhood years, my SF had us living in the country. And when I say the country, I mean the boonies. It's like he didn't want us to be near anyone, we were isolated.
So when I became an adult and married, I told my husband we were living IN the city, and we did, and I have ever since!
I was living in a very small rinky dink town up till about 2 years ago, then I moved to a much bigger town...and I like living in the city :)

Oh and no way would I live in NYC. I would like to visit it at Christmas time, to see the beauty of the lights, but no way in hell would I live there.
I would never live in Atlanta either, but I have lived in Cleveland, Ohio....didn't like it.

I lived most of my life in traffic-clogged suburbs of L.A. Now we live on 15 wild acres in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. Does nurse their fawns beneath our windows. Possums munch dry cat kibble on the front porch. A six-point buck waits patiently, a few feet away as my husband pours dried corn for him to eat. We're not totally isolated, since we have neighbors within shouting distance. Still it's a quiet piece of heaven after spending decades on an L.A. freeway. :)

I've got Deer eating my tomatoes on my front porch. Wild Turkeys munching on whatever on neighbors' the driveway. Rabbits eating my lettuce.

I think this area is wild enough.

Last edited:

I've got Deer eating my tomatoes on my front porch. Wild Turkeys munching on whatever on neighbors' the driveway. Rabbits eating my lettuce.

I think this area is wild enough.

LOL, I forgot about the wild turkeys! Flocks and flocks of them. And squirrels and foxes and skunks, oh my! :lol: It's not all good. There are the rattlesnakes that like to curl up where one least expects them.

It is fun, isn't it, living with critters? I wouldn't change a thing!

I've lived in New York City, San Francisco and Mexico City - Loved them each. I was raised in a suburb of 40k in New England. Now I live in a sleepy seaside town of 4,000 which I do love - but I miss the anonymity of the city and the restaurants! :cool:

I am a copout, I am both. Small town with access to big city and an airport.

Where does suburbia fit in your dichotomy? I grew up in an awful slum. It seemed like everyone I saw in fictional shows on TV always lived in the suburbs, so I grew up wanting to live in the suburbs, where I do now. The difference between where I grew up, and what went on there, and now, is like night and day. I have to laugh as I see the affluent, carefree kids growing up in southern california - wait till they see what a lot of even just the rest of this country is like.

I drive into Los Angeles on rare occasion for mostly the diminishing cultural events left there, before the last lights wink out, as if were, and it becomes totally nothing more than an illegal alien cesspool.

Last edited:
The ideal life would be one where on had a city townhouse and a country estate and a translporter to take you instantly from one to the other.

I'm about 1/3 of the way there.

All I now need is a townhouse on Washington Square in the Greenwiche Village and a transportor to get me back and forth from Maine.

I suppose I could substiute a transporter for a flying car, but it would be a step down from the ideal.

Number 2, make it so!

Both. Well, not 'country' as in 'country music' but in a metropolitan area where open space is prevalent, the Ocean and Mountains are near and I can order a pizza at one in the morning if the mood strikes.

Both. Well, not 'country' as in 'country music' but in a metropolitan area where open space is prevalent, the Ocean and Mountains are near and I can order a pizza at one in the morning if the mood strikes.
Same here. For everyday living, I want city, but I need getaways within day trip range.

Big city all the way I grew up in Kansas City, I can't do the small town thing. I was at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California and it was in the middle of nowhere, this was not the California you see on tv it was the West Virginia of California, the base was in the middle of the woods and the nearest town was a 15 minutes drive, population was around 40,000 and they had absolutely nothing to offer expect liquor stores on every corner. The other nearest town was about 20-25 minutes drive called Santa Maria, a little bigger than Lompoc but still not that much better, the nearest decent city was Santa Barbara and that was an hour drive, everything there was so expensive though and gas prices are so high in Cali, I only went to Santa Barbara like 5 times the whole 3 years I was there. Los Angeles was about 3 hours away and I hardly went there, I am never doing the small town experience again I almost lost my mind.

Oh and no way would I live in NYC. I would like to visit it at Christmas time, to see the beauty of the lights, but no way in hell would I live there.
I would never live in Atlanta either, but I have lived in Cleveland, Ohio....didn't like it.

I always wanted to visit New York City, I been to the airport there a few times but thats it, there is so much culture there and the city is on 24/7, thats my kind of place.

A bit off topic but I'll ask anyway. Mrs. Catcher and I will be going to Yellowstone next month. We plan to stay in West Yellowstone, MT for four nights, seven nights in Sun Valley, ID and a couple more nights in Boisie, ID before returning to the Bay Area.

What should we not miss?

btw, NYC is a great city to visit, bring your walking shoes and walk, walk, walk. If you need to, take the subway as the streets by taxi or bus are very crowded. I'[ve never been for the Christmas Holiday's; two times I've gone with my adult sons to ball games at old Yankee Stadium and Shea. Guess the boys and I need to make another trip to the 'far' east and see the new parks. The third time my wife and I went and did Broadway, off Broadway, The Met, etc. NYC is great and the water, drinking water, is some of the best I've ever tasted. But the air is another story. Getting off the plane in SF or Oakland the first thing I noticed was how sweet the air was compared to Manhattan.

Last edited:
A bit off topic but I'll ask anyway. Mrs. Catcher and I will be going to Yellowstone next month. We plan to stay in West Yellowstone, MT for four nights, seven nights in Sun Valley, ID and a couple more nights in Boisie, ID before returning to the Bay Area.

What should we not miss?
It's been years since I've been, so I can't say. But, have a great trip.

Forum List

Back