City Slicker or Country Type?

really? you need to get out and explore more of the cities.:cool:

burbs are bedroom communities. I'd rather and have gone to the country or desert or hills instead of a burb

Let's look at the three Major Cities in Massachusetts..... Boston, Worcester, and Springfield. None of them will issue a Class A CCW permit to any citizen. Immediate non-starter for me living there.

At the other end of the spectrum, I have certain interests and medical needs that aren't generally capable of being met way out in the sticks.

So I generally figure on ending up in a suburban area outside of a reasonably sized City to meet my interests, desires, and needs.

Worcester and Springfield. I once stayed in the county jails of each.

the reason(s) will go unstated. but it had to do with the federal government

Where do you live? Big city or small town in the country? I wouldn't live in or near NYC for anything. Too many people. I like small towns, myself.

What about you?

I live in the biggest city in Arkansas so I guess that would make me a city slicker. :lol:

I live in a very small country town, population about 170. One grocery store, one liquor store, one gas station, truck stop and 2 restaurants and second hand thrift shop. That's it. No fast food. No Walmart. No Casey's, Quick Trip, 7-11, etc., but we have access to the 'city', or least a little larger one about 19 mi away, where there is still no Walmart, but at least a Casey's, Sonics and McDonald's. Internet is still mostly dial-up here, TV viewing has to be with satellite, and good luck getting cell phone service, but hey the smell of manure and flies are plentiful! Everyone around here has a well and a septic tank, no city water services. I like the small town community feeling, neighbors aren't so close you can't turn the stereo up as loud as you want or sub bathe nude! No pools. Folks swim in their ponds. At night, the stars and moon are so big and bright, it feels like you could just reach up and pluck them from the sky. I was raised in the big city....I don't think I could do that again.

Last edited:
I'm a city slicker for sure.

I was born and grew up in Las Vegas. I now live in Merritt Island, FL and it's okay. Not enough people and too many rednecks. But if I go live in a city, It would be a choice of New York, Miami, Tampa, San Francisco, Los Angeles, or just say fuck it and move to Japan.

Little house on the pararie? No refidgeration, inside toilets, etc?
Killig and plucking a chicken for sunday dinner?

As was where I grew up.

The charm rapidly dissipates when the full reality is realized.

jeremiah-johnson-1972-02-g.jpg

I've been pretty much on and off my whole life. They both have pros and cons, ya know. I was born in a suburb, raised in a small town, college in the city, then the same suburb, then to the city. Honestly, I couldn't choose

Mostly small towns, and REALLY small towns.

I did a stint in Eugene and one in Phoenix.

I like the city, I like the anonymity.

But I love living in the sticks.

I've liked them both, really.

Each brings with them different lifestyle opportunities.

However, for purposes of raising children, unless you are very very wealthy, I think that smaller towns are best.

Psychologically, urban life makes offers one a kind anonyminity that is practically impossible to attain in smaller towns.

For adults that can be very liberating.

But for children, it is, I think, not so comforting, nor for that matter, psychologically healthy.

The consequences of both being known by their neighbors and knowing their neighbors and their knowing their place in that society is good thing.

Children love novelty, true, but they thrive best in a place that offers them both familiarity and safety.

Such things are much more difficult to attain for kids in an urban setting.

Perhaps back in the day when urban neighborhoods had a coherence and indentify that I do think many have today, urban childhood was better.

Today, however I think our cities are less than ideal for rearing kids.

Again, perhaps that is not the case for the truly affluent who can afford to create a cash created society for their kids in an urban setting.

But anything less than real affluence puts the children too often in situations where they will be surrounded by stangers and the dangers that come with a larger and more anonymous society.

I'd love to live in a tiny little hamlet town or a village with cobblestone streets with houses that have thatched roofs. I think I was born in the wrong century.
Little House On The Prairie type of town would be cool too.

This coming from someone who can't open a fucking water bottle:eusa_whistle:

Flyover country for me! I like it out here; quiet, peaceful; where the only manmade sound you hear at night is a distant train whistle, where the crickets and the frogs and the katydids sing, where the night sky is dark enough to see the Milky Way, and the biggest nuisance is having to shoo the deer out of the garden, and the raccoons away from the garbage can. On permanent vacation, and loving it! Raised on the farm, lived in the suburbs, and back where I belong, waling the same hills and valleys my ancestors walked two hundred and fifty years ago; this is home.

Last edited:
I'd love to live in a tiny little hamlet town or a village with cobblestone streets with houses that have thatched roofs. I think I was born in the wrong century.
Little House On The Prairie type of town would be cool too.

You should move to Germany. Lot's of towns are like that there.

New Topics

Forum List

Back