City Govt orders citizens to hand over the keys, literally!

PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2009
America's Home Town
michael graham said:
When I first heard about this story, I assumed it was a clever internet hoax. It’s not. Instead, it’s a terrifying example of how arrogant, self-absorbed and insane government has become.

The Fire Chief in Cedar Falls, IA went to the City Council and asked them to demand that every commercial business and every resident in an apartment building with three or more units to give them a copy of their door key. Those keys will sit in a lockbox outside the building, a lockbox city employees can open any time.

Now this proposal is—obviously—ridiculous, so you’re thinking that the vote must have been completely lopsided. And you’re right. It was 6-1....in FAVOR. And they’ve voted TWICE.

The purpose is to allow cops and firefighters to easily access your home or business in case of an “emergency.” But what’s an “emergency?” Whatever a city employee who happens to have the lockbox key decides as an emergency. After all, who will be there to stop him?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFCLiij0CBA&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ‪City Government demands all keys to properties belonging to Cedar Falls residents.‬‏[/ame]

full story A City Government Orders Citizens To Hand Over The Keys—Literally : The Natural Truth

they were talking about it on the radio. i called in and said "if they passed this law I would go to Home Depot and buy a new lock and change it a few hours after they got my key"

;)
I live in a gated retirement community where the Association has master keys to all the locks, or so they think. Some condo owners have changed the cylinders which will not conform to the master combination. The problem is if some emergency does arise, such as a fire, flood, etc., those who changed the locks will be held as non-compliant and be sued for any consequent damages.

I personally don't mind them having a master key. They keep them locked in a safe, I trust the employees here, and in a worst case scenario I have burglary insurance. But I don't like the system those Iowa folks have in which a key to their premises is contained in a "lock box" right on the premises. I know what those lock boxes are. Real estate agencies use them and they are extremely easy to break into.

I suppose the Iowa situation will continue until somebody gets burglarized as a result of it and sues.

If you live in a large apartment building without a doorman, chances are "the government" already has the front door keys.

How do you think the mailman gets in?

I recently bought a lock-picking set because I lost the key to a lock on a storage building. It's amazing how easy it is to pick most locks.

So let me see if I understand...the fire chief doesn't want to have to use the battering ram to bust down a door with a huge fire in progress where every second counts. He would rather take the time to go the lock box, take the time to open the box, get the key, go to the door (which at an apartment building would be in a different location), then unlock the door and go in. That should save lives...

Also, no one is being forced to "hand over" their apartment keys. The only keys would be the keys to the front door (which the Post Office already has, in most cases).

The purpose is to allow cops and firefighters to easily access your home or business in case of an “emergency.” But what’s an “emergency?” Whatever a city employee who happens to have the lockbox key decides as an emergency. After all, who will be there to stop him?

an 'emergency' is when someone dials 911, and only ere's will have a master key anyways...

they were talking about it on the radio. i called in and said "if they passed this law I would go to Home Depot and buy a new lock and change it a few hours after they got my key"

;)
I live in a gated retirement community where the Association has master keys to all the locks, or so they think. Some condo owners have changed the cylinders which will not conform to the master combination. The problem is if some emergency does arise, such as a fire, flood, etc., those who changed the locks will be held as non-compliant and be sued for any consequent damages.

I personally don't mind them having a master key. They keep them locked in a safe, I trust the employees here, and in a worst case scenario I have burglary insurance. But I don't like the system those Iowa folks have in which a key to their premises is contained in a "lock box" right on the premises. I know what those lock boxes are. Real estate agencies use them and they are extremely easy to break into.

I suppose the Iowa situation will continue until somebody gets burglarized as a result of it and sues.

I would trust those people too. My issue would be that some government worker has the key and even though I know a few govt workers I don't trust govt employees with my housekey.

And as soon as burglaries happen the law will end and the state will be sued, and it will happen its human nature to take advanatage of an opportunity no matter how immoral it might be.

I recently bought a lock-picking set because I lost the key to a lock on a storage building. It's amazing how easy it is to pick most locks.

you would be more shocked at how easy it is to open car doors, even the new "theft proof" cars. I only know because i work on cars and have locked a customer's key inside a few times in my career.

So let me see if I understand...the fire chief doesn't want to have to use the battering ram to bust down a door with a huge fire in progress where every second counts. He would rather take the time to go the lock box, take the time to open the box, get the key, go to the door (which at an apartment building would be in a different location), then unlock the door and go in. That should save lives...
That's a good point.

Imagine such a proposal in New York City.

America is indeed a diverse place.

;)

How immature. You must do the will of the republican tards & their facist imaginations.

SEE: http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-r...ee-in-its-finest-jack-booted.html#post3753566

Republican jack booted thugs are taking over American government, so they can control everything you do. The Moderator is burying such posts, as he does his part to destroy the country.

Last edited:
Imagine such a proposal in New York City.

America is indeed a diverse place.

;)

How immature. You must do the will of the republican tards & their facist imaginations.

SEE: http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-r...ee-in-its-finest-jack-booted.html#post3753566

Republican jack booted thugs are taking over American government, so they can control everything you do. The Moderator is burying such posts, as he does his part to destroy the country.

That came from far out in left feild somewhere....and thats left field in baseball not political left btw.

Why would I trust a stranger with keys to my home? Would you give me the key to your house? If you would then, well, i'll give you a P.O. Box number to mail it to.

your off your rocker, psycho.

you would be more shocked at how easy it is to open car doors, even the new "theft proof" cars. I only know because i work on cars and have locked a customer's key inside a few times in my career.

I can get in any car that does not have a metal frame around the top of the door in under 1 min.

michael graham said:
When I first heard about this story, I assumed it was a clever internet hoax. It’s not. Instead, it’s a terrifying example of how arrogant, self-absorbed and insane government has become.

The Fire Chief in Cedar Falls, IA went to the City Council and asked them to demand that every commercial business and every resident in an apartment building with three or more units to give them a copy of their door key. Those keys will sit in a lockbox outside the building, a lockbox city employees can open any time.

Now this proposal is—obviously—ridiculous, so you’re thinking that the vote must have been completely lopsided. And you’re right. It was 6-1....in FAVOR. And they’ve voted TWICE.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFCLiij0CBA&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ‪City Government demands all keys to properties belonging to Cedar Falls residents.‬‏[/ame]

full story A City Government Orders Citizens To Hand Over The Keys—Literally : The Natural Truth

Like Reagan said, people vote with their feet. They are voting with their feet every year in California, they will in Cedar Rapids soon also.

Forum List

Back