City gives Occupy Philadelphia 48 Hr. eviction notice

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
At a news conference Friday afternoon, Mayor Nutter announced that those camping out on the City Hall apron of Dilworth Plaza as part of Occupy Philadelphia had until 5 p.m. Sunday to pack up their tents and leave.

The conflict both exposed rifts in the Occupy movement and made clear that while many activists plan to avoid a conflict with the police, others are in a fighting mood - and that might carry into Sunday.

The relocation, Nutter said, will clear the way for a long-awaited renovation of Dilworth Plaza. With the permit approved Friday, Nutter said, the $50 million, two-year project will bring 1,000 jobs to the city in a rough economy.

It's a project "built by the 99 percent, for the 99 percent," Nutter said, alluding to Occupy's slogan, "We are the 99 percent."

Predictions?

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
At a news conference Friday afternoon, Mayor Nutter announced that those camping out on the City Hall apron of Dilworth Plaza as part of Occupy Philadelphia had until 5 p.m. Sunday to pack up their tents and leave.

The conflict both exposed rifts in the Occupy movement and made clear that while many activists plan to avoid a conflict with the police, others are in a fighting mood - and that might carry into Sunday.

The relocation, Nutter said, will clear the way for a long-awaited renovation of Dilworth Plaza. With the permit approved Friday, Nutter said, the $50 million, two-year project will bring 1,000 jobs to the city in a rough economy.

It's a project "built by the 99 percent, for the 99 percent," Nutter said, alluding to Occupy's slogan, "We are the 99 percent."

Predictions?

They are being told to leave across the country.

Maybe next time they will have a unified purpose.

Michael Anthony Nutter (born June 29, 1957) is the Mayor of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He is the third African-American mayor of Philadelphia, the largest city in the United States with an African-American mayor. Elected on November 6, 2007, he was sworn in on January 7, 2008 and re-elected on November 8, 2011.[7] Nutter is a former councilman of the city's 4th Council District, and has served as the 52nd Ward Democratic Leader since 1990.

Nutter announced that he would run for reelection on December 22, 2010.[35] He easily won the primary election against Milton Street, getting 76% of the vote.[36] Despite the lopsided victory, Street capturing 24% of the Democratic vote astonished many and served to diminish Nutter.[37] He defeated two candidates in the general election of November 2011, garnering over 70% of the vote on a voter turnout of around 18%.[38]

Michael Nutter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nutter has been more than accommodating to these losers for two months now. And now they are saying "FUCK YOU"

I think the folks are tired of the whining left gathering en masse in our public squares and taking their dumps on democracy..

Yes and even those initially supported the movement are pissed off that their tax dollars are being used for extra police and sanitation workers instead of fixing the bridges that are falling down. I'm fairly certain that both left and right would prefer that city dollars would be spent on other things besides feces removal.

The occupiers have become the detested 1%.

I was hoping that they would let the OWS retards stay at least until the first hard winter freeze.

That would make it easier to clean up the park with the bodies frozen stiff and not resisting. :cool:

The Dilworth Plaza permit expired Nov. 15th. The construction project is set to begin any day. The city ASKED the occupiers to move ACROSS THE STREET two weeks ago. They said "Fuck you". Now Nutter says "Here's your counter offer: LEAVE and FUCK YOU TOO".

I hope it doesn't get ugly, but I suspect that it will. There's no better publicity than pictures of bleeding young faces.

i have great empathy for these people...i think they have some good points....i.e. corps not having the same rights as individuals.....

i think they will fight it.....more will join them....it does seem to be a growing moment....

nothing like unrest of the youth to bubble over but sometimes that is a good thing.....i am with ravi....i am thankful for the young and idealistic who have not caved to the 'system'

i have great empathy for these people...i think they have some good points....i.e. corps not having the same rights as individuals.....

i think they will fight it.....more will join them....it does seem to be a growing moment....

nothing like unrest of the youth to bubble over but sometimes that is a good thing.....i am with ravi....i am thankful for the young and idealistic who have not caved to the 'system'

Corps with the rights of individuals.

Examples please.

A sterling example of legal fiction is what's called corporate personhood. Think about it: A corporation isn't a person. It's a business, a pool of investors' money used to conduct transactions and hopefully make a profit. But in order to determine the legality of business proceedings, the legal fiction of treating a corporation as an artificial person was created.

It would make sense that in dealing with corporations, the United States would tread lightly and limit the power that these artificial persons have. This hasn't necessarily been the case, however. In fact, in the United States, corporations have the same protections under the Constitution that humans do. Find out how this happened on the next page.

HowStuffWorks "Why do corporations have the same rights as you?"

i dont claim to fully understand how this works or why it is done......but i do think its more wrong than right.....

Tell you what, you love them so much let 10 of them come live on your property and eat your food, shit in your yard and do as they please with YOUR property.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
i would say they are objecting to the system of government that no longer responses to the will of the citizens nor the needs of the citizens

Tell you what, you love them so much let 10 of them come live on your property and eat your food, shit in your yard and do as they please with YOUR property.

arent they on public property?

A sterling example of legal fiction is what's called corporate personhood. Think about it: A corporation isn't a person. It's a business, a pool of investors' money used to conduct transactions and hopefully make a profit. But in order to determine the legality of business proceedings, the legal fiction of treating a corporation as an artificial person was created.

It would make sense that in dealing with corporations, the United States would tread lightly and limit the power that these artificial persons have. This hasn't necessarily been the case, however. In fact, in the United States, corporations have the same protections under the Constitution that humans do. Find out how this happened on the next page.

i dont claim to fully understand how this works or why it is done......but i do think its more wrong than right.....

I appreciate the link, but you have not provided a single example............... Just sayin.

Its a great talking point, but I want hard facts.

I have to agree with you Bones on treating Corporations as Individuals.

It is wrong, wrong, wrong, and needs to be eliminated from the law. Period. :cool:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back