city bans smoking in city parks!

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
Spokesman.com | Unenforced tobacco ban in Spokane parks remains, for now | Apr 10, 2009

Former County Commissioner John Roskelley, who tried unsuccessfully to ban smoking at the county fairgrounds, said the smoking ban should be extended to golf courses, even if a broader ban would be difficult politically.

“No one who doesn’t smoke should have to breathe that foul air,” Roskelley said.

“It’s one thing to put the hammer on kids and other types of people at Riverfront Park who really don’t have a voice. It’s another thing to implement a ban on golf courses where there are a lot more influential people.”

They are first going to enforce this at Riverfront park the 100 acre city park downtown which also has rides, and Imax and holds many large events. They already have smoke free zones and designated smoking areas for large events. They just raised the taxes in our state to bail out our state government and fund more programs and now they pretty much saying "screw you" to the smokers. Riverfront park which is a low cost amusement park where mostly low income people take their families and we all know lower income people smoke more. This year they raised the price of season passes and are also about 60,000 dollars in the hole for this year, and now the want to cut their client base. SOunds like a good plan to me.
The next step is to ban it at the golf courses! Which is also stupid to me since if you are playing in a group of four and someone doesn't like smoke you have a whole course to go smoke somwhere.
Having worked at this park the only time you see the park board members in the park is when they are jogging through or some special event and they are the ones voting on this???

Spokesman.com | Unenforced tobacco ban in Spokane parks remains, for now | Apr 10, 2009

Former County Commissioner John Roskelley, who tried unsuccessfully to ban smoking at the county fairgrounds, said the smoking ban should be extended to golf courses, even if a broader ban would be difficult politically.

“No one who doesn’t smoke should have to breathe that foul air,” Roskelley said.

“It’s one thing to put the hammer on kids and other types of people at Riverfront Park who really don’t have a voice. It’s another thing to implement a ban on golf courses where there are a lot more influential people.”

They are first going to enforce this at Riverfront park the 100 acre city park downtown which also has rides, and Imax and holds many large events. They already have smoke free zones and designated smoking areas for large events. They just raised the taxes in our state to bail out our state government and fund more programs and now they pretty much saying "screw you" to the smokers. Riverfront park which is a low cost amusement park where mostly low income people take their families and we all know lower income people smoke more. This year they raised the price of season passes and are also about 60,000 dollars in the hole for this year, and now the want to cut their client base. SOunds like a good plan to me.
The next step is to ban it at the golf courses! Which is also stupid to me since if you are playing in a group of four and someone doesn't like smoke you have a whole course to go smoke somwhere.
Having worked at this park the only time you see the park board members in the park is when they are jogging through or some special event and they are the ones voting on this???
Tobacco is a good thing for all users to quit. Not only is it bad for the smokers' and second hand breathers' health, but the wasted butts are full of toxins. Toxic to the air, to many plants in the parks and golf courses, (and your garden). Those toxins from all those butts leach into the soil and groundwater. A littel bit goes a long way. Ad there are zillions of butts in our ground.
Plus, wouldn't it be nice to leave to our kids a few places that are not one big disgusting ashtray ? Smoking is a definite fire hazard in drought parched areas. Believe this ex smoker who loved nice tobacco. Tobacco is a good thing to quit and to never cnsuem again.

Clearly, smokers are just a turban away from becoming the next taliban.

when I start asking pink lungers for their opinions of personal health choices then perhaps, by then, i'll give a fuck about advice on what I should and shouldn't partake of. As it is, I guarenfuckingtee than half of the people bitching about health concerns are nasty greasy, fast food loving, bloated, cheese eating fat motherfuckers whose heart attack risk is higher than their SHS risk.

necessary, my ass... More people will die from the tangible correlation between public drinking and driving this year than an entire decade of non-projected estimates by pink lungers reacting to that log up their collective asses. Clearly, driving drinkers from society would personally impact fucking pink lungers though. Cant have that.

Smokers are no longer accepted in our society. However, their habit does pay for children's health insurance. God bless the smokers.

Us smokers are now a necessary outcast ...

I've never smoked, but you have my full support. I call these politicians who keep raising taxes on cigarettes and forcing private businesses to be smoke-free 'Tobacco Nazis' since Hitler was the first world leader who campaigned against the evils of tobacco.

Tobacco is a good thing for all users to quit. Not only is it bad for the smokers' and second hand breathers' health, but the wasted butts are full of toxins. Toxic to the air, to many plants in the parks and golf courses, (and your garden). Those toxins from all those butts leach into the soil and groundwater. A littel bit goes a long way. Ad there are zillions of butts in our ground.
Plus, wouldn't it be nice to leave to our kids a few places that are not one big disgusting ashtray ? Smoking is a definite fire hazard in drought parched areas. Believe this ex smoker who loved nice tobacco. Tobacco is a good thing to quit and to never cnsuem again.
Having worked at the park as ground maintenance after the smoke free zones went to place there were not a lot of butts to pick up. As for the fire danger the park is well maintained and watered which cuts down on any fire risk plus we have the new cigarettes that go out if you are not puffing on them. The only fire there while I worked there was a grease fire from them cooking greasy hamburgers which do more harm to the people than me smoking over by a bush no where near anyone else.
AND iF i I want to smoke than that is my right, I don't smoke inside or near people who do not smoke.
During the dry seasons you cannot smoke in the state parks which is fine by me but in a green city park that is watered every other day, there is little danger.

necessary, my ass... More people will die from the tangible correlation between public drinking and driving this year than an entire decade of non-projected estimates by pink lungers reacting to that log up their collective asses. Clearly, driving drinkers from society would personally impact fucking pink lungers though. Cant have that.

Wow ... talk about lacking comprehension skills. Shogun, what do you think necessary means? Your response here shows you really missed what I said, not to mention that you forget, I am a smoker and have been on your side in this issue the entire time. Attacking those who agree with you doesn't help at all.

Clearly, smokers are just a turban away from becoming the next taliban.

when I start asking pink lungers for their opinions of personal health choices then perhaps, by then, i'll give a fuck about advice on what I should and shouldn't partake of. As it is, I guarenfuckingtee than half of the people bitching about health concerns are nasty greasy, fast food loving, bloated, cheese eating fat motherfuckers whose heart attack risk is higher than their SHS risk.
THat is how I think about it all. At the park I am talking about every year they have an event called Pig Out in park where people come down in the thousands to eat fatty foods that probably cause more health risks to people than someone smoking in a outdoor park.
Why don't they ban twinkies or tax the hell out of them? How about energy drinks? People who do coccain for energy probably have less chance of health problems than if they drank two energy drinks a day.

I don't really have a problem with this, though I do have a problem with forcing bars to be smoke free. Though if you are renting out the park for a festival it would seem to me the festival runner should get to decide. For normal day-to-day activities I think the people can decide if they want to put up with smokers by taking a vote.

Also, why not have parks that allow smokers and parks that don't...along the lines of dog parks where dogs are allowed.

*woof*

Speaking of which ... I have Maury on mute right now (nothing on TV but meh) and they are talking about 500 pound BABIES! What these parents feed their kids all day long, and they are worried about smokers outside? Sheesh.

Having worked at the park as ground maintenance after the smoke free zones went to place there were not a lot of butts to pick up. As for the fire danger the park is well maintained and watered which cuts down on any fire risk plus we have the new cigarettes that go out if you are not puffing on them. The only fire there while I worked there was a grease fire from them cooking greasy hamburgers which do more harm to the people than me smoking over by a bush no where near anyone else.
AND iF i I want to smoke than that is my right, I don't smoke inside or near people who do not smoke.
During the dry seasons you cannot smoke in the state parks which is fine by me but in a green city park that is watered every other day, there is little danger.
How many smokers can curb their habit during the dry season ? In Australia and Arizona and Colorado and Florida and Georgia which are major drought zones, embers pose a real danger.
As I said, I smoked for decades and love a tasty cigarette.
This thread is gonna be bad for my health, Luissa. Made me remeber how much I liked smoking.
I am on my way to the store, typing while I run redlights, and I am going to slap my last Jackson down and get me a box of Shermans. It's all your fault. If I crash, I'm gonna sue. Ooops. that was a close one. Sorry, kids !

How many smokers can curb their habit during the dry season ? In Australia and Arizona and Colorado and Florida and Georgia which are major drought zones, embers pose a real danger.
This thread is gonna be bad for my health, Luissa. Made me remeber how much I liked smoking.
I am on my way to the store, typing while I run redlights, and I am going to slap my last Jackson down and get me a box of Shermans. It's all your fault. If I crash, I'm gonna sue. Ooops. that was a close one. Sorry, kids !

Did you just admit to pushing the blame for your own weakness on another person? :eusa_whistle:

Spokane - was that the home base of Super anti-gay crusader Mayor
Jim "I want That Cute Lad to sit on my face" West ? I've heard that Spokane is a wonderful city.
with great agriculture. Top notch Hops and barley.

Did you just admit to pushing the blame for your own weakness on another person? :eusa_whistle:
That is what addicts do. Smoke 40 cigarettes a day for 40 years, then let a lawyer talk us into filing suit against tobacco companies WHEN we get sick.
I made it to the smoke shop, only hit one pedestrian on a side street cut through. She fell to the curb, and didn't see my plate, Thank GOD !!! Opening up my Shermans....ohh the prettty brown slim babies smell so good.
I have to high tail it, a cop is following me with his gumball flashing. I hope Luissa realizes the mess she got me in by mentioning tobacco. This is all her fault.

Please keep your smoke to yourself. Whenever I get a whiff, I've got about 50% chance of feeling the need to run out and buy a pack myself. That % increases to 100% if I've been drinking. :)

In Seattle there was a running joke about Spokane, we called it Spokomptin ...

(Don't hate me Luissa!)
who do you think first came up with spocompton? Someone for spokane! There is also methelhem, spovegas as people from chewelah call it. I am moving to the west side once it is fincially possible.

Forum List

Back