city bans smoking in city parks!

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Luissa, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    Spokesman.com | Unenforced tobacco ban in Spokane parks remains, for now | Apr 10, 2009

Former County Commissioner John Roskelley, who tried unsuccessfully to ban smoking at the county fairgrounds, said the smoking ban should be extended to golf courses, even if a broader ban would be difficult politically.

“No one who doesn’t smoke should have to breathe that foul air,” Roskelley said.

“It’s one thing to put the hammer on kids and other types of people at Riverfront Park who really don’t have a voice. It’s another thing to implement a ban on golf courses where there are a lot more influential people.”

They are first going to enforce this at Riverfront park the 100 acre city park downtown which also has rides, and Imax and holds many large events. They already have smoke free zones and designated smoking areas for large events. They just raised the taxes in our state to bail out our state government and fund more programs and now they pretty much saying "screw you" to the smokers. Riverfront park which is a low cost amusement park where mostly low income people take their families and we all know lower income people smoke more. This year they raised the price of season passes and are also about 60,000 dollars in the hole for this year, and now the want to cut their client base. SOunds like a good plan to me.
    The next step is to ban it at the golf courses! Which is also stupid to me since if you are playing in a group of four and someone doesn't like smoke you have a whole course to go smoke somwhere.
    Having worked at this park the only time you see the park board members in the park is when they are jogging through or some special event and they are the ones voting on this???

2. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,051
    But sex or nudity is probably okay.

3. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
    Smokers are no longer accepted in our society. However, their habit does pay for children's health insurance. God bless the smokers.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. WorldAHope

WorldAHope Ready to Rock n' Roll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Tobacco is a good thing for all users to quit. Not only is it bad for the smokers' and second hand breathers' health, but the wasted butts are full of toxins. Toxic to the air, to many plants in the parks and golf courses, (and your garden). Those toxins from all those butts leach into the soil and groundwater. A littel bit goes a long way. Ad there are zillions of butts in our ground.
    Plus, wouldn't it be nice to leave to our kids a few places that are not one big disgusting ashtray ? Smoking is a definite fire hazard in drought parched areas. Believe this ex smoker who loved nice tobacco. Tobacco is a good thing to quit and to never cnsuem again.

5. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Clearly, smokers are just a turban away from becoming the next taliban.

when I start asking pink lungers for their opinions of personal health choices then perhaps, by then, i'll give a fuck about advice on what I should and shouldn't partake of. As it is, I guarenfuckingtee than half of the people bitching about health concerns are nasty greasy, fast food loving, bloated, cheese eating fat motherfuckers whose heart attack risk is higher than their SHS risk.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Us smokers are now a necessary outcast ...

7. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    necessary, my ass... More people will die from the tangible correlation between public drinking and driving this year than an entire decade of non-projected estimates by pink lungers reacting to that log up their collective asses. Clearly, driving drinkers from society would personally impact fucking pink lungers though. Cant have that.

8. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
    I've never smoked, but you have my full support. I call these politicians who keep raising taxes on cigarettes and forcing private businesses to be smoke-free 'Tobacco Nazis' since Hitler was the first world leader who campaigned against the evils of tobacco.

9. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    Having worked at the park as ground maintenance after the smoke free zones went to place there were not a lot of butts to pick up. As for the fire danger the park is well maintained and watered which cuts down on any fire risk plus we have the new cigarettes that go out if you are not puffing on them. The only fire there while I worked there was a grease fire from them cooking greasy hamburgers which do more harm to the people than me smoking over by a bush no where near anyone else.
    AND iF i I want to smoke than that is my right, I don't smoke inside or near people who do not smoke.
    During the dry seasons you cannot smoke in the state parks which is fine by me but in a green city park that is watered every other day, there is little danger.

10. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Wow ... talk about lacking comprehension skills. Shogun, what do you think necessary means? Your response here shows you really missed what I said, not to mention that you forget, I am a smoker and have been on your side in this issue the entire time. Attacking those who agree with you doesn't help at all.