Citrus Farmers Turn to Antibiotics

badger2

Gold Member
Oct 22, 2016
The New York Times, Saturday 18 May 2019, Farmers Turn to Antibiotics, to Treat the Trees

'Zolfo Springs, Florida -- A pernicious disease is eating away at Roy Petteway's orange trees. The bacterial infection, transmitted by a tiny winged insect from China, has evaded all efforts to contain it, decimating Florida's citrus industry and forcing scores of growers out of business.....doused the trees with a novel pesticide: antibiotics used to treat syphilis, tuberculosis, urinary tract infections and a number of other illnesses in humans....streptomycin and oxytetracycline....the EPA is now significantly expanding their permitted use across 764,000 acres in California, Texas and other citrus-producing states....The European Union has banned the agricultural use of streptomycin and oxytetracycline. So too has Brazil, where orange growers are battling the same bacterial scourge, called huanglongbing, commonly known as citrus greening disease....But scientists are especially worried that the drugs will cause pathogenic bacteria in the soil to become resistant to the compounds and then find their way to people through groundwater or contaminated food.....In deciding to approve two drugs for citrus trees, the EPA largely ignored objections from the CDC and FDA.'

Boycott the Chinese crotch-clown, Candidatus liberibacter, and the ship it came in on.

The New York Times, Saturday 18 May 2019, Farmers Turn to Antibiotics, to Treat the Trees

'Zolfo Springs, Florida -- A pernicious disease is eating away at Roy Petteway's orange trees. The bacterial infection, transmitted by a tiny winged insect from China, has evaded all efforts to contain it, decimating Florida's citrus industry and forcing scores of growers out of business.....doused the trees with a novel pesticide: antibiotics used to treat syphilis, tuberculosis, urinary tract infections and a number of other illnesses in humans....streptomycin and oxytetracycline....the EPA is now significantly expanding their permitted use across 764,000 acres in California, Texas and other citrus-producing states....The European Union has banned the agricultural use of streptomycin and oxytetracycline. So too has Brazil, where orange growers are battling the same bacterial scourge, called huanglongbing, commonly known as citrus greening disease....But scientists are especially worried that the drugs will cause pathogenic bacteria in the soil to become resistant to the compounds and then find their way to people through groundwater or contaminated food.....In deciding to approve two drugs for citrus trees, the EPA largely ignored objections from the CDC and FDA.'

Boycott the Chinese crotch-clown, Candidatus liberibacter, and the ship it came in on.
Dang. I'm allergic to the mycins. Am I going to end up in the ER when I eat an orange?

Dang. I'm allergic to the mycins. Am I going to end up in the ER when I eat an orange?
I've been trying to contract scurvy by not eating any oranges...Might s well torch the trees and start all over..

I've been trying to contract scurvy by not eating any oranges...Might s well torch the trees and start all over..
You needing a sick day, Moon?

No. just looking at having an old disease.

It sucks!!!
You can no longer get Ruby Red grapefruits from the valley here in Texas.
Best grapefruits on the planet...gone.
I dont care if the solution makes OL sick.
Bring back those Grapefruits!!!!

No. just looking at having an old disease.

Go eat some raw armadillo .
Maybe you'll get lucky and catch leprosy.

Yes! We noticed ruby reds from Texas for sale in Wisconsin: one brand had the best in the world and some months later the same company was selling reds with taste and texture like shoe leather and at the same price. Badger told Festival Foods to get an agent down there to find out what the hell was going on, but all they did was change the brand to Tropicana. The Texas company that had the best in the world needs to be identified, because they were awesome, so the investigation will continue this evening.

Yes! We noticed ruby reds from Texas for sale in Wisconsin: one brand had the best in the world and some months later the same company was selling reds with taste and texture like shoe leather and at the same price. Badger told Festival Foods to get an agent down there to find out what the hell was going on, but all they did was change the brand to Tropicana. The Texas company that had the best in the world needs to be identified, because they were awesome, so the investigation will continue this evening.

The whole valley got wiped out.
And happened real quiet like,you heard a few stories in the beginning but after that nothing.

Then? No more valley grapefruit.....

Festival Foods in Wisconsin is anal retentive. They don't want to let a customer know what brand they replaced with Tropicana red grapefruit, apparently because that might challenge their authority. One way to find out is possibly scanning various Texas grapefruit logos on the internet to try and recall what brand it was. Are there logos? We'll see.

Festival Foods in Wisconsin is anal retentive. They don't want to let a customer know what brand they replaced with Tropicana red grapefruit, apparently because that might challenge their authority. One way to find out is possibly scanning various Texas grapefruit logos on the internet to try and recall what brand it was. Are there logos? We'll see.

You cant get Ruby Reds from texas anymore.
They still claim you can but the ones they are calling Ruby Reds are bullshit and not even close to the old ones.

Freaking Chinese probably let the bug loose on purpose.

Jo

The whole valley got wiped out.
And happened real quiet like,you heard a few stories in the beginning but after that nothing.

Then? No more valley grapefruit.....

How?

Jo

Most people don't realize that Roundup is an antibiotic...

New Topics

Forum List

Back