Citizenship for Serving in the Military?

Assassin

The Verbal Assassin
Apr 22, 2011
Pennsylvania
Army and the Navy are adding Citizenship as a bonus to people thinking of entering boot camp. Only LEGAL immigrants can get citizenship this way so illegals need not apply.

The military route is not a short-cut for foreigners abroad to get into the U.S. Only legal immigrants can apply, officials stress, and they must complete five years of honorable service or chance having their citizenship revoked.

The Military says that recruiting people from other countries is vitally important to the military because of skills they may have that an American may not, including language and special education and job skills.

They can receive their citizenship papers in only 10 weeks, just before graduating from basic training. They must pass security clearance and pass a US history test. They are not given time off for studying during basic training. They must complete their basic training just like everyone else. They must give 5 years of service or their citizenship will be revoked.

"In February alone, we took in more than 200 applications," said Karen Dalziel, an officer from Homeland Security's citizenship and immigration arm, who administered the oath to the soldiers.

Dalziel said she has been swearing in 30 to 50 soldiers on a weekly basis.

So what do you think, should you be able to get citizenship for completing basic training?

Army and the Navy are adding Citizenship as a bonus to people thinking of entering boot camp. Only LEGAL immigrants can get citizenship this way so illegals need not apply.

The military route is not a short-cut for foreigners abroad to get into the U.S. Only legal immigrants can apply, officials stress, and they must complete five years of honorable service or chance having their citizenship revoked.

The Military says that recruiting people from other countries is vitally important to the military because of skills they may have that an American may not, including language and special education and job skills.

They can receive their citizenship papers in only 10 weeks, just before graduating from basic training. They must pass security clearance and pass a US history test. They are not given time off for studying during basic training. They must complete their basic training just like everyone else. They must give 5 years of service or their citizenship will be revoked.

"In February alone, we took in more than 200 applications," said Karen Dalziel, an officer from Homeland Security's citizenship and immigration arm, who administered the oath to the soldiers.

So what do you think, should you be able to get citizenship for completing basic training?

With the further requirement you serve five years I support this.

With the further requirement you serve five years I support this.

I do too. I think it is a great idea and will bring valuable skills into our military. Broadening our talent so to speak.

They should get citizenship for serving 6 years and being honorably discharged. Not just going through boot camp.

This is not new to the military. I believe the same offer was made to the Philippinos during WWII

Last edited:

They should get citizenship for serving 6 years and being honorably discharged. Not just going through boot camp.

This is not new to the military. I believe the same offer was made to the Philippinos during WWII

Just curious why the extra year? As it stands they receive citizenship after the boot camp, but to keep it they must serve 5 years and be honorably discharged or lose their citizenship. Yes I believe the same offer was made during WWII

Just curious why the extra year? As it stands they receive citizenship after the boot camp, but to keep it they must serve 5 years and be honorably discharged or lose their citizenship. Yes I believe the same offer was made during WWII

typo :eusa_shhh:

so?

So I was wondering as the question at the bottom said. Is this a good idea? I personally think it is. What do you think?

Happens to the best of them. :)

Happens more then i care to admit! :lol:

As to it being a good idea. I have mixed thoughts. But as a legal immigrant who serves this country it should be a fair and just reward. I would welcome a person who did to gain citizenship far more then one who came here illegally and was given amnesty for their illegal activity.

Happens more then i care to admit! :lol:

As to it being a good idea. I have mixed thoughts. But as a legal immigrant who serves this country it should be a fair and just reward. I would welcome a person who did to gain citizenship far more then one who came here illegally and was given amnesty for their illegal activity.

As would I. I think that they have come into the country honorably, and served for us, there should be the reward of citizenship. I also have mixed thoughts, but I cannot come up with any reason they should not be allowed if htey pass the security clearance and tests.

If anyone is willing to serve for our country they should be made a citizen. I think the five year should be waved if they serve in a war zone. If you are a vet, it should be a given.

If anyone is willing to serve for our country they should be made a citizen. I think the five year should be waved if they serve in a war zone. If you are a vet, it should be a given.

Wow that is a great point. I agree, if they do a tour of duty in a war and serve honorably, I agree, they have earned it.

why does the us spend more on military spending than most other countries combined....why dont remove the troops in europe....why do we need to always expand one of the largest military forces in the world? will these cause 'anchor' soldiers?

I have no issue at all with this. I just hope we are doing thorough background checks on all of these people. Now for the next question; what happens if they are honorably discharged before their five years are up? I would assume they would keep their citizenship, but just wondering.

Last edited:

I think that they have to be citizens after boot camp (with the caveat it can be revoked), else they are considered mercenaries. Also, I would imagine that in order to wear the uniform of the united states, that you must be a citizen.

I think thats why they went with the after boot camp thing.

why does the us spend more on military spending than most other countries combined....why dont remove the troops in europe....why do we need to always expand one of the largest military forces in the world? will these cause 'anchor' soldiers?

Well It only allows for legal immigrants. However we do need to stop being the world police.

When I was in the service (82-92) I was always reading stories about airmen who weren't citizens getting their citizenship while on active duty. I remember one hot German girl in particular! Filipinos are in our military and they can retire without citizenship (I think).

We had a Japanese exchange student over at our house last summer for a few weeks and he said he wanted to join the U.S. Army. He'll be thrilled by this!

Forum List

Back