Citizens United outcry

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Yes, by giving corporations a powerful tool and larger voice in influencing elections, the court ruling definantly curtails each individuals first amendment rights.

Good call Frankie!

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Yes, by giving corporations a powerful tool and larger voice in influencing elections, the court ruling definantly curtails each individuals first amendment rights.

Good call Frankie!

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech (except when Progressive lose their media monopoly and cannot tolerate opposing opinions)

Boo Fucking Hoo

That's true, the people in them have rights. Why should they lose those right just because they form a corporation?

People in corporations have lost their rights somehow?

Please explain how this happens!

Corporations are not people.

The people who run them can vote already IF they are citizens.

If you spend much time interacting with people on the right, you'll find that there isn't a lot of intelligence there. They are motivated by god, not intelligence. They delude themselves into believing that they actually know what the constitution is about.

"I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government in a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country." -- Thomas Jefferson

It doesn't take much intelligence to recognize that when you designate corporations as people, real people are going to lose.

The only thing obvious here is that your prejudice is interfering with your reason. You need to reexamine your premise.

I'm real comfortable with my premise. If it makes you squirm them obviously I'm on the right track.

Are you suggesting that the Founders weren't aware of the danger of corporations?

Progressive must be weak minded and easily lead astray since they so fear the power of...advertisements (Avert your eyes, Libs! The very word might twist your feeble mind!)

Good call Frankie!

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech (except when Progressive lose their media monopoly and cannot tolerate opposing opinions)

Boo Fucking Hoo

Got it, so you're an anti-bill of rights dude huh? Who'd have thunk it? You a corporate stooge!

Corporations are not people.

The people who run them can vote already IF they are citizens.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Corporations are associations of people. As such they ought to have the same rights, including political speech.

The people in them already have rights.

The US was not designed to give corporations control over the government was it?

Nor was it designed to give government control over corporations.

Remind me again. Who owns General Motors?

Good call Frankie!

Boo Fucking Hoo

Got it, so you're an anti-bill of rights dude huh? Who'd have thunk it? You a corporate stooge!

If TV, newspapers or billboards warp your mind, that's YOUR problem.

If you spend much time interacting with people on the right, you'll find that there isn't a lot of intelligence there. They are motivated by god, not intelligence. They delude themselves into believing that they actually know what the constitution is about.

"I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government in a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country." -- Thomas Jefferson

It doesn't take much intelligence to recognize that when you designate corporations as people, real people are going to lose.

The only thing obvious here is that your prejudice is interfering with your reason. You need to reexamine your premise.

I'm real comfortable with my premise. If it makes you squirm them obviously I'm on the right track.

Are you suggesting that the Founders weren't aware of the danger of corporations?

It doesn't make me squirm BAC, I just plainly see the stumbling block before you. You make great points, unfortunately, they are tainted in bitterness, you need to get past that for your own sake. It effects your message, it is a taint. We are all related, we all account in the same way, by the same rules in the end. We are all human beings first, consider honoring that. People of Conscience come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.

my Super Hero's were Locke, Madison, Jefferson, Thoreau, MLK, and Gandhi. Each put conscience above all else. Each advocated voice and Non Violent Civil Disobedience, as a catalyst for change when all else failed. Hamilton was the Scoundrel that tied the Federal Government in with Banking and Corporations, which corrupted Governments role in serving the people. It was Hamilton that turned the Republic into an Oligarchy. Don't confuse the Free Market with Monopoly. There are aspects of our system that are a total success, there are aspects that were corrupted from the start. Distinguish and cutting surgically is preferable to cutting with an Axe. Truly, that is my only criticism. Injustice is the enemy, it is all around, it does not distinguish between race or nationality, or party affiliation.

Libs seem to object to Citizens solely on the idea that it threatens their power. Note the absence of outrage over unions having the same rights corporations do.

There's little outrage because unions have very little power and have become to be irrelevant.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Corporations are associations of people. As such they ought to have the same rights, including political speech.

The US was not designed to give corporations control over the government was it?

Nor are government bailouts of auto companies anything new

Ownership? The US Treasury still owns about 37% of the stock down from about 60%. Canada has some. Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal said he now holds 1%. China also holds about 1% as well.

Libs seem to object to Citizens solely on the idea that it threatens their power. Note the absence of outrage over unions having the same rights corporations do.

There's little outrage because unions have very little power and have become to be irrelevant.

Except for the UAW destroying the US auto industry, turning Detroit into a third world shithole and getting a half billion for it, you may be right

It doesn't make me squirm BAC, I just plainly see the stumbling block before you. You make great points, unfortunately, they are tainted in bitterness, you need to get past that for your own sake. It effects your message, it is a taint. We are all related, we all account in the same way, by the same rules in the end. We are all human beings first, consider honoring that. People of Conscience come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.

I hear you and I respect that. I apologize for my remark about making you squirm.

That being said, am I bitter? .. nope. Been alive to long to expect anything else from Americans but apathy and complacency.

Am I disgusted right down to my toes by our apathy and inhumanity?.. Yes ma'am I am.

What you hear isn't bitterness, it's disgust. There are no people of conscience who justify needless war.

I agree with you that we are all related .. it's why I call others sister and brother. As sister and brothers were are REQUIRED to speak up and against any evil we do and see .. no differently then you would if you saw evil in your family .. because as you say, we are human. We cannot make excuses for the evil we do.

However .. I hear you .. gained a new respect for you this day.

my Super Hero's were Locke, Madison, Jefferson, Thoreau, MLK, and Gandhi. Each put conscience above all else. Each advocated voice and Non Violent Civil Disobedience, as a catalyst for change when all else failed. Hamilton was the Scoundrel that tied the Federal Government in with Banking and Corporations, which corrupted Governments role in serving the people. It was Hamilton that turned the Republic into an Oligarchy. Don't confuse the Free Market with Monopoly. There are aspects of our system that are a total success, there are aspects that were corrupted from the start. Distinguish and cutting surgically is preferable to cutting with an Axe. Truly, that is my only criticism. Injustice is the enemy, it is all around, it does not distinguish between race or nationality, or party affiliation.[/QUOTE]

:clap2:

I agree with every word .. except the "free market" .. which does not exist in reality.

I hope you've read enough of me to know that I make no distinctions for race, nationality, or party affiliation. I make no excuses for Obama because he's black, have no grievance towards anyone because they aren't. Don't castigate republicans while excusing democrats for doing the same thing. I'm a humanist. The superficial doesn't matter.

Even MLK came to realize that non-violence has its limitations. Rights are ONLY determined by what you can demand .. not by what Jesus would do, not by what is just, civil, right, or fair.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Except for the UAW destroying the US auto industry, turning Detroit into a third world shithole and getting a half billion for it, you may be right

Yeah, the unions don't have any influence on government. None at all:
SEIU’s Stern Tops White House Visitor List - Washington Wire - WSJ

I'm against this.

We should go back to when only unions were the major money donors. ONLY they should have equal rights as citizens.

pfft

bunch of fucking sour grapes. The unions are loosing members and pull. and that's why the left is against this.

NO other reason is valid or they would have been against the unions having so much sway.

Nor are government bailouts of auto companies anything new

Ownership? The US Treasury still owns about 37% of the stock down from about 60%. Canada has some. Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal said he now holds 1%. China also holds about 1% as well.
Don't forget the UAW.

Hey! I'm not a union or a corporation. Neither are you. I'm a citizen. Only citizens should have any say in how our country is run.

Really?

Who has the most to lose?

us or corporations?

Here's a hint; It aint us.

We live in a capitalist country [thank god], and b/c of that, if the corps do well, we all do well, if they go down, we go down.

So unless you want to go back to being a farmer who's livelyhood is dependant on the weather...

Or if you want total government control, like in china, cuba, russia...

David v. Goliath: The One-Year Anniversary of Citizens United - Big Government

The case found its origins in 2007 when my group, Citizens United, a membership organization, sought to promote, distribute, and broadcast via video-on-demand a film critical of then-presidential candidate Hillary Clinton. If Citizens United would have done so, we were told by the FEC that it would have been a willful violation of the provisions of the Bipartisan Campaign Finance Reform Act of 2002 (better known as “McCain-Feingold”) which prohibited corporations from making independent expenditures and electioneering communications. This violation was not merely subject to a civil fine, but rather a criminal penalty – I personally would have been sent to jail for promoting the film. Citizens United filed a lawsuit against the Federal Election Commission to defend our right to promote and broadcast the film. It took more than two years, but the First Amendment protection of political speech was restored by the Supreme Court in this landmark ruling.

Happy one Year anniversary Citizens United v. FEC. :clap2::clap2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back