Citizen reminds politician who he works for

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
I heard this today, live, on CSpan :D

Witness to Rep. Young: 'I pay your salary' - Patrick Reis - POLITICO.com
Ever wanted to tell a congressman in person that they work for you, the taxpayer?

Well, Douglas Brinkley, a Rice University professor, certainly did, although perhaps the middle of a House hearing wasn't the best time and place.

At a Natural Resources Committee hearing Friday on oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, Rep. Don Young (R-Alaska) mistakenly addressed the professor as "Dr. Rice" while calling his testimony "garbage."

Brinkley interrupted, saying: "It's Dr. Brinkley, Rice is a university," and "I know you went to Yuba [Community College in California] and couldn't graduate — "

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ever wanted to tell a congressman in person that they work for you, the taxpayer?

Well, Douglas Brinkley, a Rice University professor, certainly did, although perhaps the middle of a House hearing wasn't the best time and place.

At a Natural Resources Committee hearing Friday on oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, Rep. Don Young (R-Alaska) mistakenly addressed the professor as "Dr. Rice" while calling his testimony "garbage."

Brinkley interrupted, saying: "It's Dr. Brinkley, Rice is a university," and "I know you went to Yuba [Community College in California] and couldn't graduate — "

According to Young’s office, the congressman earned an associate degree from Yuba Junior College in 1952 and a bachelor’s degree in teaching at Chico State College in 1958 after a stint in the U.S. Army.

Lying isn't the preferred way to get your point across to your employees.
Just sayin'

I listened to the hearing, I'm a policy wonk, and yes Young (R) is/was pwned by that professor. :lol: Young didn't correct the Dr. after he made the comment regardless of what his staff said afterwards. Wonder why? Maybe because he's getting a little long in the tooth?

Last edited:
The intern girl sitting behind Young (R) is a tool too LOLOL

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1noMhbOSQQ]Douglas Brinkley Versus Don Young (R) Alaska Nov 22 2011 - YouTube[/ame]​

The best Young (R) could come up w/ is "You be quiet!!!"? Thats a retort on par w/ the poster- Unkotare[sp.]. That guy needs to retire and be an oil lobbyist. He'll get paid more.

This exchange made my day. :D The Republican congressman (civil servant) telling a citizen (his employer) what to do. The Irony is off the scales :lol:

Good for Brinkley.

I hope the voters in Young's district remember this confrontation when they decide who they want to pay to represent them after the next election. Unfortunately, the problem is that the next guy is likely to think he works for the party just like Young.

Immie

Best response to a Congressman......"You're not the boss of me"

I'll bet we know what Mr Young's grades were in his college tenure. Too bad we can't say the same for the POTUS?

I'll bet we know what Mr Young's grades were in his college tenure. Too bad we can't say the same for the POTUS?

Sure we can!

How are degrees summa cum laude determined?

Each May, between 4% and 5% of the graduating class will be awarded the degree summa cum laude. These students will have been recommended for highest honors by their concentrations, and will have outstanding overall records of achievement, including at least two half courses with grades of A or A- in each of the three main divisional areas (humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences). A subcommittee of the Faculty Council meets each June to look at the records of all students recommended for highest honors and determines the minimum grade point average for the summa degree for that graduating class, as well as any exceptions. As noted above, students in this pool who are not recommended for the summa degree may receive the degree magna cum laude with highest honors in their field (if their grade point average is high enough).

How are degrees magna cum laude determined?

Each May, the Faculty will recommend for the degree magna cum laude those students with the highest grade point averages who have been recommended for highest honors or high honors, and who have not already been recommended for the summa degree, so that the total number of degrees summa cum laude and magna cum laude constitute 20% of the graduating class.

He graduated Magna cum Laude, in the top 20% of his class.

You're welcome.

http://www.college.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k61161&pageid=icb.page263699

Sure we can!

How are degrees summa cum laude determined?

Each May, between 4% and 5% of the graduating class will be awarded the degree summa cum laude. These students will have been recommended for highest honors by their concentrations, and will have outstanding overall records of achievement, including at least two half courses with grades of A or A- in each of the three main divisional areas (humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences). A subcommittee of the Faculty Council meets each June to look at the records of all students recommended for highest honors and determines the minimum grade point average for the summa degree for that graduating class, as well as any exceptions. As noted above, students in this pool who are not recommended for the summa degree may receive the degree magna cum laude with highest honors in their field (if their grade point average is high enough).

How are degrees magna cum laude determined?

Each May, the Faculty will recommend for the degree magna cum laude those students with the highest grade point averages who have been recommended for highest honors or high honors, and who have not already been recommended for the summa degree, so that the total number of degrees summa cum laude and magna cum laude constitute 20% of the graduating class.

He graduated Magna cum Laude, in the top 20% of his class.

You're welcome.

Honors Harvard College

So you dont have his grades and he still is an economic idiot. Maybe he could kill some more border guards trying to undermine the second, democrats dont mind.

Forum List

Back