Citizen Arrest OK!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0421haab-ON1.html#

Reservist who held migrants at gunpoint won't be prosecuted

Associated Press
Apr. 21, 2005 05:52 PM

Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas won't prosecute an Army reservist who held seven Mexican men at gunpoint at a southwestern Arizona rest stop.

Thomas says Sergeant Patrick Haab did not commit a crime and was making a lawful citizen's arrest when he detained six illegal immigrants and the man smuggling them.

The 24-year-old Haab was arrested April 10th by Maricopa County sheriff's deputies after holding the immigrants at gunpoint at a rest stop along Interstate Eight.

Haab returned from Iraq in October and has lived in Mesa since January. He was released from jail April 14th on a ten-thousand-dollar cash bond.

Thomas says Arizona citizens have the right to make a citizen's arrest if either a federal or state felony offense has been committed in their presence, or if they believe the person they intend to arrest has committed it.

Kathianne said:

This was great news...On 4/20/05 I sent a e-mail to the Maricopa County attorney and the local paper bringing to their attention that a lawful detention under the citizens arrest statue was made by Sgt.Haab...I noticed the article on Sgt Haab that was posted on Michael Savages web site and had to write the editor and county attorney expressing my concern....
Now I think it is time to prosecute the Sheriff and deputies for their unlawful arrest and embarrassment not to mention stress placed on Mr.Haab..I still cannot believe that the deputies were not aware of the Citizens arrest statue..Seems as if they acted out of heritage preservation rather than policy and procedure!
:mad:

No wonder the ACLU are wasting all their time following Sean Hannity around and demanding he be arrested for putting a portion of his body across the fence! Now we know it is because they have no lawful cause to harrass the Minutemen as they are allowed by law to arrest people...

Forum List

Back