Circumcision ruling condemned by Germany's Muslim and Jewish leaders

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Circumcision ruling condemned by Germany's Muslim and Jewish leaders | World news | guardian.co.uk

Jewish and Muslim leaders were united on Wednesday in their condemnation of a German court's decision to in effect outlaw the circumcision of boys after a judge deemed that the religious practice amounted to bodily harm.

Representatives of the two religious communities called the ruling insensitive and discriminatory, saying it was an attack on centuries of religious tradition.

A judge at a Cologne court said that the circumcision of minors went against a child's interests because it led to a physical alteration of the body, and because people other than the child were determining its religious affiliation.
<more>

I wish I could travel back in time and bitch slap my parents on the day they decided to mutilate my junk.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
Yeah, I can see how this would upset those for whom circumcision is a religious obligation.

I can also understand why some of us think that mutilation of a baby boy's penis makes about as much sense (read none) as mutilation of a baby girls cliterus.

Not much room for compromise in this clash of cultural values.

Yeah, I can see how this would upset those for whom circumcision is a religious obligation.

I can also understand why some of us think that mutilation of a baby boy's penis makes about as much sense (read none) as mutilation of a baby girls cliterus.

Do you really think male and female circumcision are the same?

it shouldn't be... one can't compare female circumcision with male circumcision. and i always wonder about why anyone would make that comparison other than the use of the word circumcision. the effects on the individual are not comparable.

also, historically, one of the first ways in which tyrannical and anti-semetic regimes isolated and made jews alien was to outlaw circumcision. they would then use the fact that someone was circumcised as a way of identifying and outing jews who were singled out for persecution.

this is a very dangerous road to walk... if you don't want to circumcise your child, don't...

in my world, it's normal and not "abuse"... it's a cause for celebration... and it's an identifying ritual.

thank G-d for the first amendment.

it shouldn't be... one can't compare female circumcision with male circumcision. and i always wonder about why anyone would make that comparison other than the use of the word circumcision. the effects on the individual are not comparable.

also, historically, one of the first ways in which tyrannical and anti-semetic regimes isolated and made jews alien was to outlaw circumcision. they would then use the fact that someone was circumcised as a way of identifying and outing jews who were singled out for persecution.

this is a very dangerous road to walk... if you don't want to circumcise your child, don't...

in my world, it's normal and not "abuse"... it's a cause for celebration... and it's an identifying ritual.

thank G-d for the first amendment.

So in the name of religion it's OK with you to strap down a person and cut off body parts? Or is it only OK if it's a baby and can't decide for itself? Would it be OK to lop off an infant's ears in the name of religion? How about tattooing? Nipple, or nose piercing?

Tell me how do you feel about water-boarding?

Last edited:
an identifying ritual, can also be represented by a pin prick

Since when is custom alone a good enough reason to mutilate infants?

We used to do all kinds of things in the name of custom that we no longer do because we are at least slightly more enlightened than we used to be.

Suprising so many people are so worked up about circumcision. I'm not aware of any harm it does.

Suprising so many people are so worked up about circumcision. I'm not aware of any harm it does.

Tell you what go to a doctor and have him slice off what's left of the skin on your penis and then tell me it causes no harm

Something like just over half of all males in the US are circumcised and I don't see any national crisis over it. It's usually done shortly after birth and no one remembers or has any trauma associated with it that I'm aware of.

Why would I do that?

Why do it to a baby?

Aside from those who do it as a matter of religious ritual, it has long been considered a matter of hygiene and for the prevention of infections. The rate of circumcisions has dropped in recent years, but it has hovered around 60% in the US for several decades - certainly not all or even most a matter of religion.

Something like just over half of all males in the US are circumcised and I don't see any national crisis over it. It's usually done shortly after birth and no one remembers or has any trauma associated with it that I'm aware of.

So it's OK to permanently alter the body of another as long as they don't remember it?

So if someone drugged you, kept you sedated and then sliced all the skin off your penis you'd be OK with that because you wouldn't remember it happening?

The fact that an act of mutilation is not remembered is hardly justification for the continuation of that act.

Shit we should pawn off infants to nepiophiliacs after all the kids wouldn't remember so what's the big deal?

Why would I do that?

Why do it to a baby?

Aside from those who do it as a matter of religious ritual, it has long been considered a matter of hygiene and for the prevention of infections. The rate of circumcisions has dropped in recent years, but it has hovered around 60% in the US for several decades - certainly not all or even most a matter of religion.

There are no valid medical reasons to mutilate a baby boy.

And religious practices are no better a reason. If a religion in the USA called for cutting the left pinky off of boys anf the right pinky off of girls would it be allowed?

Forum List

Back