Cindy's Time Is Up....

I may be a registered Democrat and a certified Cambridge liberal, but in fact I disagree with many Democratic positions.

Don't call me the "voice" of anything. I read widely, including conservative publications, and attempt to understand the world as best I can. I include my own professional experience working as a physician with many poor and disabled people. My wife is a traditionally raised Catholic school nurse, which gives me another perspective. I also learn from my social milieu and my neighborhood, which includes all sorts of people, from wealthy business owners to ultra-liberal intellectuals (who, in their Volvos, are the most dangerous drivers in Cambridge).

Also, I'm not here to troll. I decided to post on this message board because it seemed there was a consensus here that all liberal ideas were bad, and a lot of self-congratulation about it. I like the idea of debating ideas, of challenging people's beliefs, and of learning something myself.

Personally, I think that we need a pull from each direction. A liberal president being restrained by a conservative Congress (e.g. Clinton) or the opposite (e.g. Reagan) gets us better results than all-one or all-the-other.

As an example of a liberal position that I disagree with--the Democratic support of teachers' unions is as unhealthy for our country, in my opinion, as the Republican marriage with oil, timber and ranching. This country won't retain its technological eminence for long if we're only able to fill half our graduate school science slots with Americans, importing the rest. My cousin, for example, came from India to MIT. Over half his class was non-American. 90% of his graduating class in India came to the U.S. That was 10 years ago. Now, only about half do. That's a huge loss for us.

I blame the American education system for our dependence on foreign science talent. Our teachers have SAT scores of 1000, and there's a strong anti-science aspect to American culture. We'll all pay for it later--we take our science leadership for granted here. There's a projection that in the year 2010 90% of all engineers will be in Asia. American dominance--going, going, gone.

Here's another example--even as a physician, and one with his office on the same floor as two of the nation's leading advocates for universal health insurance--I'm not sure it would work here, and don't advocate it.

So don't call me names--engage in discussion. You're supposed to be a moderator here, so why not moderate rather than calling me a troll.

Mariner.

Mariner said:
I may be a registered Democrat and a certified Cambridge liberal, but in fact I disagree with many Democratic positions.

Don't call me the "voice" of anything. I read widely, including conservative publications, and attempt to understand the world as best I can. I include my own professional experience working as a physician with many poor and disabled people. My wife is a traditionally raised Catholic school nurse, which gives me another perspective. I also learn from my social milieu and my neighborhood, which includes all sorts of people, from wealthy business owners to ultra-liberal intellectuals (who, in their Volvos, are the most dangerous drivers in Cambridge).

Also, I'm not here to troll. I decided to post on this message board because it seemed there was a consensus here that all liberal ideas were bad, and a lot of self-congratulation about it. I like the idea of debating ideas, of challenging people's beliefs, and of learning something myself.

Personally, I think that we need a pull from each direction. A liberal president being restrained by a conservative Congress (e.g. Clinton) or the opposite (e.g. Reagan) gets us better results than all-one or all-the-other.

As an example of a liberal position that I disagree with--the Democratic support of teachers' unions is as unhealthy for our country, in my opinion, as the Republican marriage with oil, timber and ranching. This country won't retain its technological eminence for long if we're only able to fill half our graduate school science slots with Americans, importing the rest. My cousin, for example, came from India to MIT. Over half his class was non-American. 90% of his graduating class in India came to the U.S. That was 10 years ago. Now, only about half do. That's a huge loss for us.

I blame the American education system for our dependence on foreign science talent. Our teachers have SAT scores of 1000, and there's a strong anti-science aspect to American culture. We'll all pay for it later--we take our science leadership for granted here. There's a projection that in the year 2010 90% of all engineers will be in Asia. American dominance--going, going, gone.

Here's another example--even as a physician, and one with his office on the same floor as two of the nation's leading advocates for universal health insurance--I'm not sure it would work here, and don't advocate it.

So don't call me names--engage in discussion. You're supposed to be a moderator here, so why not moderate rather than calling me a troll.

Mariner.

Then you have not been 'widely reading' many of our posts, since we have consistantly argued for and against decisions of the administration, as well as results.

On the other hand, your sole purpose as far as you have demonstrated thus far, is to bash Bush. From what you've posted, we could easily read the DNC talking points, which I certainly do from time to time.

Oh and btw, I can call anyone a troll that I think is. Your membership does not allow you to make up the rules. I do not have less parameters on such than anyone else, no mod does. :thup: The 'higher standards' is regarding flamming, which that fell far short of. Thanks for the inquiry though.

Mariner said:

Mariner.

The famous sideways attack on staff members attempting to tie their hands behind their backs when one can't compete on a level playing field.

moderators shush others' ad hominem attacks. Here, your moderator engages in them. I guess this just ain't your typical discussion board.

What was sideways about my point? I don't see how it could be more direct.

Re: DNC talking points, I've never read them. I guess I just arrived at similar conclusions independently.

Re: not reading widely here--that's true. I was away a year due to a family medical issue, and only started posting again recently. Maybe I've not gotten the full flavor of the place again.

Re: Bashing Bush. I make no apologies. I firmly believe he's the worst president in recent history. My list of policy positions on which I think he's dead wrong is over 30 items long (the environment, his energy policy, his
fundamentalist-Christian based sex ed and contraception policies, his disregard for world opinion, his belief in giant gov't spending via borrowing from non-allies such as China and Saudi Arabia, his war in Iraq... the list goes on and on.)

Mariner.

Mariner said:
moderators shush others' ad hominem attacks. Here, your moderator engages in them. I guess this just ain't your typical discussion board.

Re: DNC talking points, I've never read them. I guess I just arrived at similar conclusions independently.

Re: not reading widely here--that's true. I was away a year due to a family medical issue, and only started posting again recently. Maybe I've not gotten the full flavor of the place again.

Re: Bashing Bush. I make no apologies. I firmly believe he's the worst president in recent history. My list of policy positions on which I think he's dead wrong is over 30 items long (the environment, his energy policy, his
fundamentalist-Christian based sex ed and contraception policies, his disregard for world opinion, his belief in giant gov't spending via borrowing from non-allies such as China and Saudi Arabia, his war in Iraq... the list goes on and on.)

Mariner.

Face it---it's a board compromised of mostly conservatives so most folks disagree with your politics. Ya-there are some mods here that push the limits but I would spend more time making your points and trying to engage in discussions that can justify them.

Mariner said:

Mariner.

You are saying moderators should be safety patrols alone and not contributing members of the board? Oh joy ...what fun. :rolleyes:

Kathianne's response to you was clearly her personal opinion and has nothing to do with her status as a moderator; therefore, it is MY personal opinion that your accusation is what is out of line. An attempt to censor her right to free speech while you clearly state in the next paragraph you aren't apologizing for exercising yours is just about as hypocritical as it gets.

GunnyL said:
You are saying moderators should be safety patrols alone and not contributing members of the board? Oh joy ...what fun. :rolleyes:

Kathianne's response to you was clearly her personal opinion and has nothing to do with her status as a moderator; therefore, it is MY personal opinion that your accusation is what is out of line. An attempt to censor her right to free speech while you clearly state in the next paragraph you aren't apologizing for exercising yours is just about as hypocritical as it gets.

If you want to go head to head with a monitor and you aren't one, your asking for trouble.

dilloduck said:
If you want to go head to head with a monitor and you aren't one, your asking for trouble.

Yep, I've seen it before. The mod stays calm and civil as the attacker gets ruder and ruder. It ends with a banning, as the attacked finally gets mad enough to step out of bounds.

Mariner said:

Mariner.

Just a question from me, I'd like to ask you of your beef's about clinton. Just curious, since you say your a democrat????

insein said:
dang. I think its finally setting in that her son is gone and that it wasnt Bush that did it. I kind of feel bad for her in those photos. God damn you compassion. Always gets the best of me.

Im sure she'll do something to make me hate her again soon.
human suffering escapes me. her and moore need to go elope in some swamp and raise critters together

Forum List

Back