Cinderella Marriages A Thing Of The Past?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I was listening to talk radio this afternoon on my way home. Michael Medved was speaking of a book or something, that indicates that nowadays more men are choosing wives that have similar education/earning power as themselves. It makes sense, since 2/3 of college grads are now women.

Which presents a new dilemna. Many women are saying they will pick a husband with a good rear and willing to do housework.

Any thoughts?

BTW, I can't imagine marrying a man I thought was less intelligent than myself, though I strongly believe that degrees have zero to do with intelligence, just a sign of many, of an ability to 'stick with something.'

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    I don't think there ever was such a thing as a "cindarella marriage". Women thought the guy on the white steed was going to "rescure" them. Instead, they were left financially unable to extricate themselves IF a marriage went bad. Now women get to choose based on whatever criteria criteria they wish (some might make sense, some not... same as men). The good news is now we go in as equals and not as subservient... most of us anyway. :)

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I disagree. There were plenty of marriages where the woman was quite a bit younger and less educated than the man, yet managed to keep herself up to date on things that interested him, raise the kids, help with his work-especially if he owned the business. I knew lots of parents like that when I was a kid. The marriages worked and the kids ended up educated.

Interesting by product of the marriages of 'equals', they may well account for the fact that their is a growing divide between the 'haves' and 'have nots.' So many wish to blame any institution, but the real culprit is most likely our own culture.

I know both my sons are only interested in women that are determined to have careers and family-in that order. Of course, they haven't chosen a partner, are not finished with school, and do not have children.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Children make all the difference, I think. I have more education than my husband, yet, once we had kids, my heart was in the home. Men are more capable of going off to work without worrying about the house and how well the children are being cared for. I, and many of the women I know who work, are able to do well in the workplace, but still feel torn between involvment with the kids and their careers.

Most women base a large part of their identity on their relationships. Most men base a large part of their identity on their work. Just the difference between pink and blue. (Read The Essential Difference: The Truth About the Male and Female Brain, by Simon Baron-Cohen, and Family, Socialization & Interaction Process, by Talcott Parson & Robert Bales.)

As far as women being subservient slaves, I don't think ANYONE is happy in that situation-- men, women, or children. Men place more value on capable, intelligent, informed women, and women are happier when men are INVOLVED with the family.

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Sweet !!!! I have a nice rear and do housework !!!!:thewave:

6. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Kids still end up educated if their parents take an interest. But you don't know if those marriages worked behind closed doors. It isn't our job to "entertain" our men.....

Two people work in a marriage largely because they need to in order to provide what a single income would have provided in my mother's day. The growing divide between haves and have-nots is a result of economic policy, not equality in marriage.... nor have I ever seen anything indicating that would be the case.

Good on your sons! Maybe it's because they've seen how hard their mom has worked and wouldn't want a woman who isn't an equal partner.

7. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Rosie O'Donnell, Man of the People
    Congratz to the lesbian Gandhi, Rosie O'Donnell, who married her longtime Significant Other Domestic Life Partner, Karen Carpenter, in the face of overwhelming opposition from that fascist hatemonger Bush!

"We were both inspired to come here after the sitting president made the vile and hateful comments he made. Sometimes civil disobedience is necessary to insure freedom for all. Isn't that right, babycakes?" Rosie snarled at the press while holding her blushing bride in a loving head-lock.

"Merp!" Carpenter agreed. Carpenter, a former dancer and marketing executive for Nickelodeon, has produced 9 of Rosie's 17 children, impregnating herself with a turkey-baster filled with sperm purchased on eBay. "We just want to be treated like normal people, is that so much to ask?"

Although the two had been cohabitating for six years, it was George Bush's sudden support for a Constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage that forced the couple to tie the knot.

"We should conduct this difficult debate in a manner worthy of our country, without bitterness or anger," Bush spoke to reporters at the White House last Monday. "In all that lies ahead, let us match strong convictions with kindness and goodwill and decency."

For the folks at home, that's secret code for "Let's exterminate the queers". Good ol' Rosie saw right through it.

"I think the actions of the President are, in my opinion, the most vile and hateful words ever spoken by a sitting president," O'Donnell hissed in response to Bush's speech. "I could just rip his head off and shit down his neck!!"

The newlyweds celebrated their nuptials along with thousands of San Franciscans by castrating Bush in effigy, followed with a dildo sword-fight on the steps of City Hall.

This open-minded, tolerant blogger wishes the O'Donnell family all the happiness in the world, and may God protect them from the right-wing Christians who only want to spoil everyone's good time.

http://blamebush.typepad.com/blamebush/gaylesbitransherm/index.html

8. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,893
    I wouldn't marry a woman with a low income, no continuing education. I sure don't want a dependent. Money is too tight these days. I'm looking for an asset, not a liability. But, and I say butt, she better have a nice one... :cof:

9. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Cinderella Marriages are a Hollywood movie fantasy for the most part.

Birds of a feather...and all that stuff is more realistic. IMO.

10. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I think this raises a disturbing point in that we as a society are much more interested in qualifying who we marry based on status, etc, first, then love second. It seems this is what modern feminism has brought us, not sure if it's a good thing, or a bad thing? Maybe it's best for women to not worry about how marketable they are to a man, but rather decide early on to always be able to take care of themselves without one, and then the men will naturally gravitate towards them, hopefully with love the first thing on their minds, not her income potential. ?