Cinderella Man

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by sitarro, Jan 11, 2006.

1. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    Pretty amazing movie, I would recommend it to everyone. Russel Crowe's acting was rediculous, I have never seen him better. He said more with a look than 100 words. Renee Zellweger was perfect also. I was really surprised that I would like it this much, there have been a lot of fight movies. The buildup is done so well you would have to be heartless to not be rooting for Jim Braddock. It might also help a number of people get a grip to see the amount of suffering that was real to our Grandparents and Parents, that was real tough times.

I didn't see it at the theater so I don't know if the crowd was out of their seats during the boxing, Rocky did that to people. The boxing cinematography was also excellent. And it was a true story!

RENT IT!

2. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937

I rented it a few weeks ago and agree, I like it a lot. I was pacing in and out of the room during the final fight. I love boxing, but hate supense!

Craig Bierko's character, confident or arrogant? :laugh:

Just a little board humour.

3. sitarro

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    It was definitely amazing how Craig Bierko was filmed, i know I wanted to see him get his ass knocked out it a very painful way.

How about Paul Giamatti, he has really become a great actor. He was so good in Sideways and Duets. I'm sure Hollywood has a hard time with him, he doesn't fit.

4. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Especially the last second or third round when he grabbed Crowe's chin and hit him in head. I thought he should have gotten hurt a little more during the last round.

I've found a lot of his roles over the years to be fairly good, but this one was probably one of his best by far. Overall, I was surprised at how much I liked the movie, it wasn't what I was expecting.

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Y'know 2 movies that Paul Giamatti never really gets much respect for, that he was actually really good in? Saving Private Ryan (blink and you'll miss him, but he does good with what he's given) and Private Parts. In Private Parts, I could definitely see a different actor playing that role as a really broad caricature, but Giamatti made him real.

As for Cinderella Man, I'll probably end up watching it eventually, but I'm in no hurry. As usual, I'll have the weirdo opinion and admit that Russel Crowe does nothing for me. He was pretty good in LA Confidential, but I thought Gladiator was WAAAAAY overrated.

6. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    You're first impression is more than like dead-on as far as you're movie tastes tend to go. How many good boxing and depression era movies are out there (Rocky I and Raging Bull being the few exceptions, IMHO) . Other than being mildy familar with James Braddock's career, I think I would have passed, but i"m glad I picked it up. It was well done considering the amount of time Crowe did spend in the ring. :D

7. sitarro

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    I know what you mean about Crowe but he always surprises me. I usually wait longer before I rent one of his movies because I always have doubts that he can erase the Aussi bad boy image and become the part. Master and Commander, he was so perfect in that part it was like he wasn't acting and that can be something that is ignored instead of noticed. In this movie I don't hear a himt of his natural accent and though I'm not from there, it sounded like he did the Jersey accent very naturally.

Paul Giammati has a great chameleon ability. He may look similar in a lot of his parts but has the ability to change just enough to make each part different. I was just at a sight that rated his performances and the Saving Private Ryan rated highest. He was also great in American Splendor playing Harvey Pekar. I remember Pekar when he was a regular guest on Letterman's show, he was nuts! Giammati was so much like him it was scary.

8. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Yeah, if you ask me, American Splendor is Giamatti's greatest role. He was pretty good in Sideways, but I thought that was really overrated, too.

9. misterblu

misterblu Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The wife and I just watched this yesterday. :thup:

All around excellent movie. We loved it.

:clap:

10. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    "Cinderella Man" was one of the few movies we saw last year that we thought fell into the "excellent" category. Great story, great cast, etc.

It was great to see Paul Giamatti receive a Screen Actors Guild Award for his role in that movie. Hope that portends an Oscar for him.