Cigarette Tax Will Affect Low-Income Americans Most

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon

PRINCETON, NJ -- The 62-cent increase in federal cigarette taxes going into effect Wednesday is nearly three times as likely to affect low-income Americans as it is to affect high-income Americans. That's because 34% of the lowest-income Americans smoke, compared with only 13% of those earning $90,000 or more per year.

That's because 34% of the lowest-income Americans smoke, compared with only 13% of those earning $90,000 or more per year.

This is evidence of something we've all suspected: Poor people are poor, by and large, because they are dumber than rich people. As for the OP, there is an easy solution here. If the poor do not want to be affected by the cigarette tax they can simply stop buying cigarettes. VIOLA! Goddamn I'm good.

So would lung cancer so I guess it is a trade off. [Cynic's hat off]

"There is no historical evidence that tax cuts spur economic growth. The highest period of growth in U.S. history (1933-1973) also saw its highest tax rates on the rich: 70 to 91 percent. During this period, the general tax rate climbed as well, but it reached a plateau in 1969, and growth slowed down five years later. Almost all rich nations have higher general taxes than the U.S., and they are growing faster as well."

Tax cuts spur economic growth

obama lied about taxes

I smoke and I don't bitch about this. It has made me slow down. And poor people always complain about not having any money, yet they seems to be able to come up with $5 a day for a pack of smokes. $6 plus now.

Cigarettes prove that most Americans spend/waste a lot of fucking money.

And the tax payers are going to have to pay when these poor people get cancer, so they need to fund that on the front end via a tax.

Next they need to tax booze.

Then make pot legal.

"There is no historical evidence that tax cuts spur economic growth. The highest period of growth in U.S. history (1933-1973) also saw its highest tax rates on the rich: 70 to 91 percent. During this period, the general tax rate climbed as well, but it reached a plateau in 1969, and growth slowed down five years later. Almost all rich nations have higher general taxes than the U.S., and they are growing faster as well."

Midcan, will you stop spreading the damn facts around like they matter?

obama lied about taxes

I smoke and I don't bitch about this. It has made me slow down. And poor people always complain about not having any money, yet they seems to be able to come up with $5 a day for a pack of smokes. $6 plus now.

And the tax payers are going to have to pay when these poor people get cancer, so they need to fund that on the front end via a tax.

Then make pot legal.

you make under 250K...obama raised your taxes...obama lied

That's because 34% of the lowest-income Americans smoke, compared with only 13% of those earning $90,000 or more per year.

This is evidence of something we've all suspected: Poor people are poor, by and large, because they are dumber than rich people. As for the OP, there is an easy solution here. If the poor do not want to be affected by the cigarette tax they can simply stop buying cigarettes. VIOLA!

Maybe poor people are poor because they smoke. How much is a frigging carton of cigarettes anyway even without the excess taxes? I swear they ain't cheap. Thank God I never got hooked.

Immie

This is evidence of something we've all suspected: Poor people are poor, by and large, because they are dumber than rich people. As for the OP, there is an easy solution here. If the poor do not want to be affected by the cigarette tax they can simply stop buying cigarettes. VIOLA! Goddamn I'm good.

That would be tax evasion.

At what? Skirting the issue? Your opinion of the poor and what you think they ought to do is irrelevant. The tax targets the poor. Simple as that.

Who said anything about tax cuts nimrod? Fact is, nobody needs any of your double-talk to know additional taxes sure as Hell won't spur economic growth.

And perhaps you need to explain your pathetic thinking to the wealthy who invest most of the money in this nation? Maybe they'll stop hoarding it waiting for you thieves to help yourselves to part of it and start investing again in construction. Construction builds places that provide jobs and homes.

Jeez you people think at such the simpleton level.

obama lied about taxes

Then make pot legal.

Yes, we should all just spend our money as sillyblahblah says.:cuckoo:

Midcan, will you stop spreading the damn facts around like they matter?

What facts? I must have missed any of those in that swill he posted.

Me? I want to quit smoking. Then I want to quit paying taxes of all sorts. Help me!

I really wish this "attack the true minorities while using the minority card for favor" ends soon, everyone gets all bent out of shape when we say junkies are criminal scum, oh but they can't help it they just need help ... but don't let me catch you smokin or it's the chair!

Forum List

Back