Cigar Industry Readies For All-Out Regulatory Assault By FDA...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Ahh Big Government,ya gotta love it...Or do ya?

Cigar smokers are mad as hell, and they aren’t going to take it anymore. Faced with an unprecedented assault on their guilty pleasure from President Barack Obama’s Food and Drug Administration, aficionados and industry insiders told The Daily Caller that they’re picking up their torch lighters and revolting.

Usually divided by their preferences for mild, medium and full-bodied smokes, they’re uniting against regulations that threaten to make cigars prohibitively expensive, shut down scores of small cigar shops, jeopardize tens of thousands of jobs and erase the traditionally bright line between Camels and Cohibas.

Cigar lovers are also recruiting members of Congress to defend what public health activists and anti-cancer crusaders see as little more than gentrified cigarettes smoked by economic one-percenters.

“Only a couple weeks remain,” one apocalyptic online pitch warns, “to stop the FDA from ruining cigars.” If that seems like a stretch, don’t bother telling Famous Smoke Shop. The e-tailer has sent 1.7 million emails to customers on its mailing lists, asking them to encourage their representatives in Congress to co-sponsor legislation designed to tie the FDA’s hands.

Read more: Cigars | FDA | Obama Administration | Regulations | The Daily Caller

Cigar smokers are mad as hell, and they aren’t going to take it anymore. Faced with an unprecedented assault on their guilty pleasure from President Barack Obama’s Food and Drug Administration, aficionados and industry insiders told The Daily Caller that they’re picking up their torch lighters and revolting.

Usually divided by their preferences for mild, medium and full-bodied smokes, they’re uniting against regulations that threaten to make cigars prohibitively expensive, shut down scores of small cigar shops, jeopardize tens of thousands of jobs and erase the traditionally bright line between Camels and Cohibas.

Cigar lovers are also recruiting members of Congress to defend what public health activists and anti-cancer crusaders see as little more than gentrified cigarettes smoked by economic one-percenters.

“Only a couple weeks remain,” one apocalyptic online pitch warns, “to stop the FDA from ruining cigars.” If that seems like a stretch, don’t bother telling Famous Smoke Shop. The e-tailer has sent 1.7 million emails to customers on its mailing lists, asking them to encourage their representatives in Congress to co-sponsor legislation designed to tie the FDA’s hands.

It was only a question of time before democrats attack more business.

This one's gonna hurt bad. Many jobs will be lost. Just in my area alone there are many small businesses who have walk-in humidores. These small businesses do very well selling cigars. It would be a real shame to see them lose their businesses. Lets hope common sense & reason wins out on this.

This one's gonna hurt bad. Many jobs will be lost. Just in my area alone there are many small businesses who have walk-in humidores. These small businesses do very well selling cigars. It would be a real shame to see them lose their businesses. Lets hope common sense & reason wins out on this.
323.png
323.png
323.png
323.png
323.png

I thought you wanted those stores to.....

:eusa_eh:

Yes it will, and that is the dem objective.

i feel your pain..... i felt the same way when they banned flavored cigarettes.......

First they came for the POT smokers, but as I was not a POT smoker I said nothing...

Chill this thing has 125 sponsors from both parties and will probably never even make it out of committee. Besides, cigars, good ones anyway, priced themselves out of my budget years ago.

Chill this thing has 125 sponsors from both parties and will probably never even make it out of committee. Besides, cigars, good ones anyway, priced themselves out of my budget years ago.

That's unfortunate. I can still get good quality cigars for a fair price in my area. Lots of competition here. And yea,i hope they do get together to stop this latest Government over-reach.

That's unfortunate. I can still get good quality cigars for a fair price in my area. Lots of competition here. And yea,i hope they do get together to stop this latest Government over-reach.

Do you even know what you are getting upset about? This bill exempts expensive premium cigars from FDA regulation.

Read The Bill: H.R. 1639 - GovTrack.us

Do you even know what you are getting upset about? This bill exempts expensive premium cigars from FDA regulation.

Then its a fuck the poor bill. Got it!!!

no, that bill is to block premiium cigars from falling under fda jurisdiction from the family smoking prevention and tobacco control act of 2009........

Then its a fuck the poor bill. Got it!!!

Yes and it seems to have been introduced by a republican and have plenty of republican support.

When I was living in South Florida, I could occasionally find a great deal on "imported" cigars. I bought 2 boxes of Esplendidos for $500 last December and just finished the first. I generally save them for special occasions or long trips alone in the truck.

When I was living in South Florida, I could occasionally find a great deal on "imported" cigars. I bought 2 boxes of Esplendidos for $500 last December and just finished the first. I generally save them for special occasions or long trips alone in the truck.

I used to get some beautiful cigars down in WPB for 2-3 bucks apiece but the same ones cost 20 bucks up here, screw that.

In my area we have many small businesses that have installed walk-in Humidores. And surpisingly you can find very good quality cigars in most of these places. But we have a lot of competition here. That may not be the case in areas that tax everything so heavily. Either way,lets hope they force the FDA to back off. We have enough Big Government in our lives already.

Forum List

Back