CIA used 'illegal, inaccurate code to target kill drones'

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
The CIA is implicated in a court case in which it's claimed it used an illegal, inaccurate software "hack" to direct secret assassination drones in central Asia.
The target of the court action is Netezza, the data warehousing firm that IBM bid $1.7bn for on Monday. The case raises serious questions about the conduct of Netezza executives, and the conduct of CIA's clandestine war against senior jihadis in Afganistan and Pakistan.
The dispute surrounds a location analysis software package - "Geospatial" - developed by a small company called Intelligent Integration Systems (IISi), which like Netezza is based in Massachusetts. IISi alleges that Netezza misled the CIA by saying that it could deliver the software on its new hardware, to a tight deadline.

When the software firm then refused to rush the job, it's claimed, Netezza illegally and hastily reverse-engineered IISi's code to deliver a version that produced locations inaccurate by up to 13 metres. Despite knowing about the miscalculations, the CIA accepted the software, court submissions indicate

CIA used 'illegal, inaccurate code to target kill drones' ? The Register

nothing will come from this. the cia can do whatever they want and "the patriots" will cheer them on

et al,

Oddly enough, I watched a show on TV last night (Bloomberg: Intelligence Squared Debate), where the audience was the reactive part of a forum (a "Mute Court" arrangement), a jury of sorts, on the question of whether or not the terrorist should be given trials in regular federal court, or dealt with separately. They did a vote before the debate, and then they did a vote after the debate.
  • NOTE: BLOOM: I^2 Debate: Terrorists-treat as enemy combatants or common criminals --- ( I'm not allowed to post URLs but it is available on the internet at bloomberg.com/tv/shows/intelligence-squared-debates ). I highly recommend you watch at least the "highlights."
Before the debate, the audience, many in military uniform, were evenly split into thirds: NO, YES, UNDECIDED

After the debate, the audience shifted, just a little more than marginally towards: YES! They should have a trail in federal court, like any other major crimes defendant. This speaks to how America thinks.

Most Respectfully,
R

Sorry, but this falls in the "welcome to the reality of war, Idiot!" category. (No offense to the OP, this is directed to the hand-holding, Kumbaya-singing, naive Retard who wrote the original "news" article.)

There are no rules when it comes to intelligence collection. If the bad guys are stupid enough to pop up on the electromagnetic spectrum, in whatever form it takes, from a cell phone call to cruising the internet, then the bad guys just became a legitimate target. Ain't technology wonderful?

As for the 13 meter crap, I think throwing steel on a target with a plus or minus 45 foot range of error is pretty damn accurate! Cannon cockers are trained to rain steel on an area approximately 3,500 by 3,500 feet on the battlefield. Looking at the math, the drones are sharpshooters by comparison.

Forum List

Back