CIA prisoner 'rendition' program began under Clinton: ex-agent

Lefty Wilbury

Nov 4, 2003
http://www.breitbart.com/news/na/051228161155.nt4rpl2e.html

Dec 28 11:12 AM US/Eastern

The CIA's controversial "rendition" program to have terror suspects captured and questioned on foreign soil was launched under US president Bill Clinton, a former US counterterrorism agent told a German newspaper. Michael Scheuer, a 22-year veteran of the CIA who resigned from the agency in 2004, told Thursday's issue of the newsweekly Die Zeit that the US administration had been looking in the mid-1990s for a way to combat the terrorist threat and circumvent the cumbersome US legal system.

"President Clinton, his national security advisor Sandy Berger and his terrorism advisor Richard Clark ordered the CIA in the autumn of 1995 to destroy Al-Qaeda," Scheuer said, in comments published in German.

"We asked the president what we should do with the people we capture. Clinton said 'That's up to you'."

Scheuer, who headed the CIA unit that tracked Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden from 1996 to 1999, said that he developed and led the "renditions" program, which he said included moving prisoners without due legal process to countries without strict human rights protections.

"In Cairo, people are not treated like they are in Milwaukee. The Clinton administration asked us if we believed that the prisoners were being treated in accordance with local law. And we answered, yes, we're fairly sure."

At the time, he said, the CIA did not arrest or imprison anyone itself.

"That was done by the local police or secret services," he said, adding that the prisoners were never taken to US soil. "President Clinton did not want that."

He said the program changed under Clinton's successor, President George W. Bush, after the attacks of September 11, 2001.

"We started putting people in our own institutions -- in Afghanistan, Iraq and Guantanamo. The Bush administration wanted to capture people itself but made the same mistake as the Clinton administration by not treating these people as prisoners of war."

He accused Europeans of being hypocritical in criticizing the US administration for its anti-terror tactics while benefiting from them.

"All the information we received from interrogations and documents, everything that had to do with Spain, Italy, Germany, France, England was passed on," he said.

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice defended renditions on a trip to Europe this month as a "vital tool" for fighting international terrorism but insisted that Washington does not condone torture.

No, actually, the rendition program started under the orders of a Republican President I continue to admire, Dwight D. Eisenhower. I can find no precedent prior to this.

Psychoblues

Lefty Wilbury said:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/na/051228161155.nt4rpl2e.html

Dec 28 11:12 AM US/Eastern

The CIA's controversial "rendition" program to have terror suspects captured and questioned on foreign soil was launched under US president Bill Clinton, a former US counterterrorism agent told a German newspaper. Michael Scheuer, a 22-year veteran of the CIA who resigned from the agency in 2004, told Thursday's issue of the newsweekly Die Zeit that the US administration had been looking in the mid-1990s for a way to combat the terrorist threat and circumvent the cumbersome US legal system.

"President Clinton, his national security advisor Sandy Berger and his terrorism advisor Richard Clark ordered the CIA in the autumn of 1995 to destroy Al-Qaeda," Scheuer said, in comments published in German.

"We asked the president what we should do with the people we capture. Clinton said 'That's up to you'."

Scheuer, who headed the CIA unit that tracked Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden from 1996 to 1999, said that he developed and led the "renditions" program, which he said included moving prisoners without due legal process to countries without strict human rights protections.

"In Cairo, people are not treated like they are in Milwaukee. The Clinton administration asked us if we believed that the prisoners were being treated in accordance with local law. And we answered, yes, we're fairly sure."

At the time, he said, the CIA did not arrest or imprison anyone itself.

"That was done by the local police or secret services," he said, adding that the prisoners were never taken to US soil. "President Clinton did not want that."

He said the program changed under Clinton's successor, President George W. Bush, after the attacks of September 11, 2001.

"We started putting people in our own institutions -- in Afghanistan, Iraq and Guantanamo. The Bush administration wanted to capture people itself but made the same mistake as the Clinton administration by not treating these people as prisoners of war."

He accused Europeans of being hypocritical in criticizing the US administration for its anti-terror tactics while benefiting from them.

"All the information we received from interrogations and documents, everything that had to do with Spain, Italy, Germany, France, England was passed on," he said.

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice defended renditions on a trip to Europe this month as a "vital tool" for fighting international terrorism but insisted that Washington does not condone torture.

Psychoblues said:
No, actually, the rendition program started under the orders of a Republican President I continue to admire, Dwight D. Eisenhower. I can find no precedent prior to this.

Psychoblues

Well, I guess that just blows lefty's article and link to support it right out of the water. :smoke:

Psychoblues said:

Psychoblues

As usual, no proof, no links. :bsflag: :mm: :stupid: :huh:

Well feeling a bit lazy, I'm not going to go crazy, but did find some interesting links. Psycho, you really need to make links for such a statement, it's not like we can 'easily' find what you've said to be true:

Going to Google News Search, found this:
Results 1 - 5 of 5 for eisenhower rendition. (0.31 seconds)
Top Stories
World
U.S.
Business
Sci/Tech
Sports
Entertainment
Health

Sorted by relevance Sort by date

And the winner is ... sonnet-writer scores front-row seats to DMB ...
Penn State Live, PA - Dec 5, 2005

... have been packing in crowds from 1995 in Rec Hall, to 1999 in Eisenhower , all the ... As the show goes on, DMB gives us a ... rendition of "Jimi Thing."

Those who ...
Gavel to Gavel -- The Year in Review, Part III
cbs4denver.com, CO - Dec 22, 2005

... has probably been rolling over in his grave since the Eisenhower Administration, when ... Menorahs in his home, and who thinks Frank Sinatra's 1945 rendition of "I ...
Bush World: Too Many States
Dissident Voice, CA - Dec 12, 2005

... the building of the military-industrial complex Dwight Eisenhower warned against ... and elsewhere in a practice known as "extraordinary rendition." In addition ...
Alesia Mathews is first Palm Springs Idol
The Desert Sun, CA - Dec 9, 2005

... Mathews, an employee of Eisenhower Imaging Center in Rancho Mirage who moved to Palm Desert in January, won the $1,000 grand prize for her rendition of "Hound ...
Squalor, Superstitions And Fatalistic Sloth
OfficialWire, NY - Dec 5, 2005

... In a sobering rendition of Raspail's novel, an immigrant horde pours into American ... Our presidents, except Eisenhower in 1954, succumb to the dollar or their ...

In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 5 already displayed.
If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included.

New! Get the latest news on eisenhower rendition with Google Alerts.

Found this while searching 'the same' but 'on the web':

http://newsbusters.org/node/3302
This goes on for pages and pages:
Open Thread
Posted by Open Thread on December 20, 2005 - 15:03.

Hot topic: NYT's delaying of domestic spying report.

login to post comments
Categories: Open Thread
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Gary Hall Says:
December 20, 2005 - 15:16

If the media and the left actually care about the issue(s) here, as opposed to simply being biased and politically biased, then how would he feel about President Clinton's quite similar actions during the 90's - when we had not yet officially publicly responded to the first attack on the WTC, the subsequent promise to bring them down next time, and Bin Laden's declaration of a holy Jihad (war) on the US in the late 90's?

AP story which ran the day before the NY Times ran it's piece on the NSA spy story, informed us that the Clinton administration had been using spy satellites to spy on US Citizens on domestic terrorism issues. Oooohh that sounds worse to me than spying on international telephone conversations and e-mails, generally involving known terrorists connections.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/12/15/D8EGQD7G1.html

Of course then we are reminded that the Clinton white house had a massive spy (eavesdropping) program called Echelon - in which according to a CBS's 60 minutes interview (imagine that) eavesdropping on the Jones's children's telephone conversations was common place.

Transcript of 60 Minutes on Echelon

Also in recent days, the story of the Bush administration's policy of "rendition," i.e.,

The left is abuzz filled with disgust over the horror that such a program is being utilized by the Bush administration. But wait! Bush did not set up this program - it was requested and authorized by none other than the leader of the era of peace and prosperity, Bill Clinton. An excerpt:

Scheuer created the CIA’s Osama bin Laden unit and helped set up the rendition program during the Clinton administration.

"Basically the National Security Council gave us the mission, take down these cells, dismantle them and take people off the streets so they can't kill Americans. They just didn't give us anywhere to take the people after we captured them," says Scheuer.

CBS News | 'Rendition' Revisited | December 19, 2005 01:17:13

In almost every issue that comes up which fills the left with their hate and rage at the Bush administration, it turns out that the root of the issue was from the Clinton years. And in many cases, like the proper use of the FISA court, we have found out that the Bush administration actually cleaned up the process from the very questionable activities of the Clinton years.

The goal here must be to get these issues of parity out in the media so the American voter can have a balanced view of the world and of our politics and policy here at home.

login to post comments »
Anonymous (not verified) Says:
December 20, 2005 - 16:11

I agree, I read somewhere on another blog site, may have been this one ( not sure) but this kind of thing was going on back in the Carter presidency and you don't see him getting any heat for it! Instead all he gets is praise and Nobel peace prizes!

I couldn't agree more, I too wish there was a balanced view of the world on the news. If you were to watch the evening news every night you would believe that the democrats are running the show. And are trying in a noble effort to overthrow a "corrupt government". Give me a break!

login to post comments »
Anonymous (not verified) Says:
December 20, 2005 - 16:29

The NYT is concerned because President Bush is actually successful in using domestic spying while President Clinton was an abject failure by not using the info he had.

login to post comments »
Mithridate Ombud Says:
December 20, 2005 - 16:39

That's not true, Clinton was very successful using the NSA as a fund raising tool.
# In 1994, the CIA and NSA intercepted phone calls between Brazilian officials and the French firm Thomson-CSF about a radar system that the Brazilians wanted to purchase. A US firm, Raytheon, was a competitor as well, and reports prepared from intercepts were forwarded to Raytheon.
# In September 1993, President Clinton asked the CIA to spy on Japanese auto manufacturers that were designing zero-emission cars and to forward that information to the Big Three US car manufacturers: Ford, General Motors and Chrysler.
# In 1995, the New York Times reported that the NSA and the CIA’s Tokyo station were involved in providing detailed information to US Trade Representative Mickey Kantor’s team of negotiators in Geneva facing Japanese car companies in a trade dispute.
# Insight Magazine reported in a series of articles in 1997 that President Clinton ordered the NSA and FBI to mount a massive surveillance operation at the 1993 Asian/Pacific Economic Conference (APEC) hosted in Seattle. One intelligence source for the story related that over 300 hotel rooms had been bugged for the event, which was designed to obtain information regarding oil and hydro-electric deals pending in Vietnam that were passed on to high level Democratic Party contributors competing for the contracts.
# But foreign companies were not the only losers: when Vietnam expressed interest in purchasing two used 737 freighter aircraft from an American businessman, the deal was scuttled after Commerce Secretary Ron Brown arranged favorable financing for two new 737s from Boeing.

Source

login to post comments »
Gary Hall Says:
December 20, 2005 - 20:00
That has to be my favorite response of the month. thanks. gh

Psychoblues said:

Psychoblues

prove it

Forum List

Back