CIA Gives Grim Warning on European Prospects

Discussion in 'Europe' started by onedomino, Jan 16, 2005.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    This is the Scotsman.com's take on the 2020 National Intelligence Estimate recently published by the CIA's National Ingelligence Council. A link to the 2020 NIE was posted here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16730

-

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Wow, that is devastating onedomino.It reflects what many of us have thought, though without proof. Great link!

3. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    The approaching demise of NATO has been evident since at least 2002. The French and Germans are doing everything they can to speed the irrelevance and dissolution of NATO. 2004's establishment of an EU Military Command shadowing the NATO Command in Brussels was the death knell of NATO. Unlike the 2020 NIE, I think it is highly unlikely that the EU will disintegrate. When will the EU become the heavyweight international player the French desire? At this point, the EU does not have the political will necessary to develop a significant military; but that will change. The post-WW2 American and EU cultural, political, and military confluence has dissolved; divergence is occurring rapidly and confrontation waits in the future.
    -

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    You may be right, but my money is on the EU collapsing or morphing into alliances. France and Germany have been playing hegemon about everything from debt to agriculture to threatening potential members.

I can't see it existing for long. On a less 'tangible' point, the constitution is just too damn long, more like something out of the UN than a document to lead towards unity.

5. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Damnit I'll have to change my fricking name if NATO goes out of business.

I think the Euros will face a moment of truth very soon... we'll just see if the obvious happens when the wiser side demands reform and the others stall...

6. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    -
    -