CIA Confirms a Dozen Destroyed Interrogation Tapes Depicted Torture

Oct 18, 2008
Bowling Green Ohio
Written by Jason Leopold
Friday, 06 March 2009 15:06
A heavily redacted government document filed in a New York federal court Friday afternoon states that the CIA destroyed 12 videotapes that specifically showed two detainees being tortured by interrogators, the first time the agency has disclosed the exact number of videotapes depicting "enhanced interrogation techniques."

“There are 92 videotapes, 12 of which include EIT [enhanced interrogation techniques] applications,” says the redacted document, marked ‘top-secret,’ describing the tapes. “An OGC [Office of General Counsel] attorney reviewed the videotapes" and the CIA's “OIG [Office of Inspector General} reviewed the videotapes in May 2003.”

That document, along with several others, were filed in response to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union seeking documentary evidence on the Bush administration's treatment of detainees. In December 2007, the ACLU filed a motion to hold the CIA in contempt for destroying the videotapes, alleging the agency violated a court order requiring the immediate production or identify all records requested by the ACLU related to detainee treatment. That motion is still pending.

The videotaped interrogations, which were also withheld from the 9/11 Commission, were destroyed in November 2005 after The Washington Post published a story exposing the CIA’s use of so-called “black site” prisons overseas to interrogate terror suspects with techniques that were not legal on U.S. soil.

You know......the more that people start looking at and investigating Bush and his legacy, the worse it looks.......

First, the economy.

Next, GITMO, as well as all the other crap........

Yep, Bush Jr. is going to be known as the worst failure of a president EVER.

You've got to be kidding me?

Destroyed tapes. You're evidence is destroyed tapes. There is just one slight problem:

You can say anything was on destroyed tapes, aliens for example. And there is absolutely no evidence that it's true. Because they were freakin destroyed!!!

That's as stupid as saying "Im not going to read that book all the information in it is wrong." You dont know a freaking thing because there is no evidence.

So you are going to try to claim that there are some no longer existing tapes showing government torture. And I am supposed to just believe it because you said so with no actual evidence.

What's mind boggling about all this is you guys think you are the intelligent ones.

Destroyed tapes. You're evidence is destroyed tapes. There is just one slight problem:

You can say anything was on destroyed tapes, aliens for example. And there is absolutely no evidence that it's true. Because they were freakin destroyed!!!

That's as stupid as saying "Im not going to read that book all the information in it is wrong." You dont know a freaking thing because there is no evidence.

So you are going to try to claim that there are some no longer existing tapes showing government torture. And I am supposed to just believe it because you said so with no actual evidence.

What's mind boggling about all this is you guys think you are the intelligent ones.

Yes, they destroyed the evidence. A crime in and of itself. Just one of many of the previous administration.

Written by Jason Leopold
Friday, 06 March 2009 15:06
A heavily redacted government document filed in a New York federal court Friday afternoon states that the CIA destroyed 12 videotapes that specifically showed two detainees being tortured by interrogators, the first time the agency has disclosed the exact number of videotapes depicting "enhanced interrogation techniques."

“There are 92 videotapes, 12 of which include EIT [enhanced interrogation techniques] applications,” says the redacted document, marked ‘top-secret,’ describing the tapes. “An OGC [Office of General Counsel] attorney reviewed the videotapes" and the CIA's “OIG [Office of Inspector General} reviewed the videotapes in May 2003.”

That document, along with several others, were filed in response to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union seeking documentary evidence on the Bush administration's treatment of detainees. In December 2007, the ACLU filed a motion to hold the CIA in contempt for destroying the videotapes, alleging the agency violated a court order requiring the immediate production or identify all records requested by the ACLU related to detainee treatment. That motion is still pending.

The videotaped interrogations, which were also withheld from the 9/11 Commission, were destroyed in November 2005 after The Washington Post published a story exposing the CIA’s use of so-called “black site” prisons overseas to interrogate terror suspects with techniques that were not legal on U.S. soil.

So?

Looking at the developing witchunt, seems like it was a smart move.

The CIA on the ball for a change, who would think it?

You know......the more that people start looking at and investigating Bush and his legacy, the worse it looks.......

First, the economy.

What is it with you on the left? Anything is true so long as you are willing to continue repeating it? Even if it's bullshit?

First, Bush is no more to blame for the economy than you are.

Second, all I see is a bunch of baseless, presumptive accusations in the OP. All that is known for sure is that tapes existed and were destroyed.

You don't know what exactly was on the tapes, so Hell ... let's just make some shit up.

Bush will only be known as the worst President by those dumb enough to believe it. He's not even close.

Yes, they destroyed the evidence. A crime in and of itself. Just one of many of the previous administration.

:cuckoo:

I guess some of the resident geniuses on the left remember how well the CIA got along with the Bush administration? Surely they would do nothing to harm him with false stories. :cuckoo: is right.

Nice point annie. By the way leftie losers you do know what redacted means don't you? Edited. In other words what it actually said before it was heavily redacted may or may not have anything whatever to do with what it says now.

So what you've got is a document that is quite possibly fraudulent depending entirely on how and why it was edited and by whom. And that Rocks in the head is also illegal and a crime in and of itself.

The CIA is the propaganda machine of the enemy! Why is the CIA spreading lies about America? Everybody knows- there's no torture in America. I know better than the CIA.

First, the economy.

What is it with you on the left? Anything is true so long as you are willing to continue repeating it? Even if it's bullshit?

Second, all I see is a bunch of baseless, presumptive accusations in the OP. All that is known for sure is that tapes existed and were destroyed.

You don't know what exactly was on the tapes, so Hell ... let's just make some shit up.

Bush will only be known as the worst President by those dumb enough to believe it. He's not even close.

Ya know Gunny, I love ya like a brother, and consider you a friend. But.....on this one you're wrong.

Bush (and Cheney) passed a law that took off the regulations from the banking industry. THAT is what caused the meltdown, which we're still wondering where the bottom is. My guess is that it happened Friday, and the market is going to hit 10,000 by July.

You (as a Marine) should also realize that to turn a ship, it takes some time, and, it also keeps going in the direction it was traveling for a while. Can't turn a carrier on a dime Gunny.

The nation is like a carrier, and Obama is changing course (hopefully for the good). Now, with the momentum that was built up in the Bush admin, you can figure that it's going to last for a bit. Obama has only been in office for a month........it's gonna take longer than that to repair, dewater, and rejuvenate the damage done by Bush Jr.

And......since the tapes were destroyed, that means that they didn't want it to become found out about. Additionally, there are the allegations concerning Cheney and his private prisons in Texas.

Nope........I hope they end up dead, both Bush Jr. and Cheney, and burn in hell for a LONG time.

Not armoring the HumVees, or, giving the troops the proper armor, as well as the way that Bush, Cheney, and RumsFAILED, were laughing on camera (when they made it illegal to show war dead coming back from Iraq), and, the fact that in 2004 RumsFAILED ended up rubber stamping his signature on form letters to the family.

Nope........I hope they, their family, and all their co-horts end up dead, in jail, or in hell.

First, the economy.

Ya know Gunny, I love ya like a brother, and consider you a friend. But.....on this one you're wrong.

Bush (and Cheney) passed a law that took off the regulations from the banking industry. THAT is what caused the meltdown, which we're still wondering where the bottom is. My guess is that it happened Friday, and the market is going to hit 10,000 by July.

You (as a Marine) should also realize that to turn a ship, it takes some time, and, it also keeps going in the direction it was traveling for a while. Can't turn a carrier on a dime Gunny.

The nation is like a carrier, and Obama is changing course (hopefully for the good). Now, with the momentum that was built up in the Bush admin, you can figure that it's going to last for a bit. Obama has only been in office for a month........it's gonna take longer than that to repair, dewater, and rejuvenate the damage done by Bush Jr.

And......since the tapes were destroyed, that means that they didn't want it to become found out about. Additionally, there are the allegations concerning Cheney and his private prisons in Texas.

Nope........I hope they end up dead, both Bush Jr. and Cheney, and burn in hell for a LONG time.

Not armoring the HumVees, or, giving the troops the proper armor, as well as the way that Bush, Cheney, and RumsFAILED, were laughing on camera (when they made it illegal to show war dead coming back from Iraq), and, the fact that in 2004 RumsFAILED ended up rubber stamping his signature on form letters to the family.

Nope........I hope they, their family, and all their co-horts end up dead, in jail, or in hell.

I'm hardly wrong, and your response only supports my argument. You have ZERO objectivity where Bush and/or his administration is concerned.

The problem with the banking industry had NOTHING to do with Bush, and whatever regulations you think he added or removed. This credit crisis has been coming for decades. Each time it gets pushed forward as we're trying to do again, it comes back bigger and uglier, as it will again.

The body armor argument is old and been disproven and shown for what it is many times on this board. The troops were and are properly armored. If you look in the military forum, you can see where the Marines rejected the new and improved, 20 lbs heavier, bulkier body armor, and I agreed with the decision. My mobility was more important to me.

Why was that body armor okay the whole time Clinton was President and I was wearing it, but it suddenly became this BIG issue when Bush was President? How much armor to you put on a Humvee before it can't move? You aren't being realistic.

The fact is, your argument demands perfection that doesn't exist, and is EXACTLY the reason it's used. Please tell me which Democrat President EVER made sure our military was armed and protected with the absolute best product in existence.

Didn't happen, and it won't. Trying to hold Bush to a higher standard than anyone else is just partisan nonsense.

You shouldn't wish anyone dead. Hate is a bad thing. It eats you up inside and closes your mind.

Sorry biker but you are wrong. The piece of legislation in Question was the repeal of Glass/Steagle.

Glass/Steagle spoke to one thing and one thing only bank mergers. The only difference Steagle would have made would have been that a whole lot of little banks would have gone belly up instead of a few real big ones.

Forum List

Back