Churches to GOP: God's plan is not "Exalt the Rich, but Lift the Poor"

R

rdean

“The president basically endorsed our concern for protecting the poor as we work on balancing the budget,” Galen Carey, vice president of the National Association of Evangelicals, said after the meeting.

The Rev. David Beckmann, president of the anti-hunger organization Bread for the World, supported the administration’s efforts to negotiate a budget that calls for spending cuts and revenue increases.

“We applaud the president for acknowledging that any budget deal must protect programs vital for hungry and poor people,” he said in a statement.

Churches Press Obama to Protect Poor in Budget Talks on EthicsDaily.com

Inspired by a common spiritual conviction that God has called on all Americans to protect the vulnerable and promote the dignity of all individuals living in society, the faith community has worked along the United States government for decades to protect those struggling to overcome poverty in the U.S. and abroad. Without a sustained federal commitment to these programs, the interfaith leaders fear that their Houses of Worship will be unable to solely support the country’s most vulnerable in their time of need.

Among those who were arrested include Jim Winkler, General Secretary, General Board of Church and Society, United Methodist Church; Rabbi Arthur Waskow, Shalom Center in Philadelphia; Rev. Jennifer Butler, Executive Director, Faith in Public Life; Rev. Paul Sherry, Director of the Washington Office, Interfaith Worker Justice; Rev. Dr. J. Herbert Nelson, Director of Public Witness, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.); Rev. Michael Livingston, Past President, National Council of the Churches of Christ (USA); Sandy Sorenson, Director of Washington Office, United Church of Christ; Martin Shupack, Director of Advocacy, Church World Service; Jordan Blevins, Director of Peace Witness Ministries, Church of the Brethren; and Rev. Dr. Bob Edgar, President of Common Cause.

Faith Leaders Arrested In Capitol Hill Protest To Protect The Poor

On Wednesday, faith leaders met with President Obama to pray, read scriptures and urge him to protect the poor. Before meeting the president, the leaders met with Republican Rep. Paul Ryan. They are now setting their sights on sit-downs with House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Minority leader Mitch McConnell.

"We are not among those who want to kick the can down the road," said Galen Carey, vice president of Government Relations for the National Association of Evangelicals.

Carey and members of the faith coalition Circle of Protection believe the budget is a moral issue that they must address now rather than later.

Christian Leaders Lobby Obama, Congress for the Poor, Christian News

What Would Jesus Cut? Christian Leaders Say Protect the Poor

Republicans Reverse 26-Year Old Budget Precedent to Protect the Poor

July 28, 2011
As we reported earlier today, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops as well as local Catholic leaders have criticized Speaker John Boehner for his proposed debt-reduction plan, which would "make tax cuts for the wealthy our most sacred national priority" instead of protecting the most vulnerable members of society.

Faith in Public Life

-------------------------------------------------------

I don't even have supernatural beliefs, but I still know what's right. These aren't "crazy wacko left wingers". These are "religious leaders", many of them Republicans and conservatives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone argued otherwise?

Apparently rdean seems to think that when we object to using the government for robbery but instead encourage people to give of themselves voluntarily, we are exalting the rich and putting the poor down. However, his reasoning is clearly lacking.

Apparently rdean seems to think that when we object to using the government for robbery but instead encourage people to give of themselves voluntarily, we are exalting the rich and putting the poor down. However, his reasoning is clearly lacking.

Funny, their "reasoning" agrees with my "reasoning".

“The president basically endorsed our concern for protecting the poor as we work on balancing the budget,” Galen Carey, vice president of the National Association of Evangelicals, said after the meeting.

The Rev. David Beckmann, president of the anti-hunger organization Bread for the World, supported the administration’s efforts to negotiate a budget that calls for spending cuts and revenue increases.

“We applaud the president for acknowledging that any budget deal must protect programs vital for hungry and poor people,” he said in a statement.

Inspired by a common spiritual conviction that God has called on all Americans to protect the vulnerable and promote the dignity of all individuals living in society, the faith community has worked along the United States government for decades to protect those struggling to overcome poverty in the U.S. and abroad. Without a sustained federal commitment to these programs, the interfaith leaders fear that their Houses of Worship will be unable to solely support the country’s most vulnerable in their time of need.

Among those who were arrested include Jim Winkler, General Secretary, General Board of Church and Society, United Methodist Church; Rabbi Arthur Waskow, Shalom Center in Philadelphia; Rev. Jennifer Butler, Executive Director, Faith in Public Life; Rev. Paul Sherry, Director of the Washington Office, Interfaith Worker Justice; Rev. Dr. J. Herbert Nelson, Director of Public Witness, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.); Rev. Michael Livingston, Past President, National Council of the Churches of Christ (USA); Sandy Sorenson, Director of Washington Office, United Church of Christ; Martin Shupack, Director of Advocacy, Church World Service; Jordan Blevins, Director of Peace Witness Ministries, Church of the Brethren; and Rev. Dr. Bob Edgar, President of Common Cause.

On Wednesday, faith leaders met with President Obama to pray, read scriptures and urge him to protect the poor. Before meeting the president, the leaders met with Republican Rep. Paul Ryan. They are now setting their sights on sit-downs with House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Minority leader Mitch McConnell.

"We are not among those who want to kick the can down the road," said Galen Carey, vice president of Government Relations for the National Association of Evangelicals.

Carey and members of the faith coalition Circle of Protection believe the budget is a moral issue that they must address now rather than later.

July 28, 2011
As we reported earlier today, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops as well as local Catholic leaders have criticized Speaker John Boehner for his proposed debt-reduction plan, which would "make tax cuts for the wealthy our most sacred national priority" instead of protecting the most vulnerable members of society.

Faith in Public Life

I don't even have supernatural beliefs, but I still know what's right. These aren't "crazy wacko left wingers". These are "religious leaders", many of them Republicans and conservatives.

Tell me something, why would a person that does not believe in mysticism quote someone who does to make a point? Is it because you have no principles and will whore yourself out to anyone to score political points? Come to think of it, that sounds a bit like someone else who was in the news recently, can you tell me who it was?

July 28, 2011

Faith in Public Life

Tell me something, why would a person that does not believe in mysticism quote someone who does to make a point? Is it because you have no principles and will whore yourself out to anyone to score political points? Come to think of it, that sounds a bit like someone else who was in the news recently, can you tell me who it was?

To you, helping the middle class and the poor is "whoring".

To me, what you do, crawling and kissing the feet of the rich is "whoring".

We just have different views. Since you apparently believe in "mysticism", I would be curious to know the name of your "God". If he were real, I wonder which side he would be on?

What does this have to do with the fact there is a significant dissonance between Christian dogma and conservative political dogma.

What does this have to do with the fact there is a significant dissonance between Christian dogma and conservative political dogma.

Good question. I would love to hear the answer.:popcorn:

Anyone?

All the sudden Rdean is arguing that the church is right on something? Aren't churches the epitome of stupidity, superstition and backwardness? Don't church folks have so much trouble thinking clearly that they can't tie their shoes without assistance? Why all the sudden this respect for the opinions of a church?

It is refreshing to see that Rdean recognizes that churches do have the right of something once in a while. Maybe 6% of the time, but still it is good to get an acknowledgement.

All the sudden Rdean is arguing that the church is right on something? Aren't churches the epitome of stupidity, superstition and backwardness? Don't church folks have so much trouble thinking clearly that they can't tie their shoes without assistance? Why all the sudden this respect for the opinions of a church?

It is refreshing to see that Rdean recognizes that churches do have the right of something once in a while. Maybe 6% of the time, but still it is good to get an acknowledgement.

I have always believed the heart and soul of a country is how that country takes care of the middle class and the poor. I have made that clear in my posts over and over again.

I also believe that charity does no good. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. I have posted this many times.

That's my position on education.

It's the right wing who wants to screw the elderly and the middle class. How many threads have I started where I asked the right wing what they are doing to support the American Middle Class. Time and again, right wingers say "screw the lazy bastards" in one form or another.

I'm not agreeing with those church leaders. They are agreeing with me.

July 28, 2011

Faith in Public Life

We just have different views. Since you apparently believe in "mysticism", I would be curious to know the name of your "God". If he were real, I wonder which side he would be on?

No, whoring is quoting people you think are crazy to score political points.

I do not kiss anyone's feet, but I would rather do that than be you. You are a person who kisses politicians asses because they have a (D) behind their name.

• You claim to love science, yet you cheer when Obama kills our manned space program.
  • You claim to hate torture, but you defend it when Obama builds secret prisons in Somalia because he lets them take the lead in torture.
  • You claim Bush's policies but you have no problem with Obama when he continues them and magnifies them.
Come to think of it, calling you a whore is an insult to whores. I apologize to whores everywhere.

Are you going to try and discuss theology with me? If so, I should warn you, I actually studied theology, unlike law. If I can hand you your ass in discussions about law just imagine what I can do to you discussing theology.

Good question. I would love to hear the answer.:popcorn:

Anyone?

The answer is rather simple, Republicans are a coalition. Unlike Democrats, they often disagree about the best way to accomplish their goals, and never vote in lock step.

:eusa_whistle:

People are going to eat. Currently we are creating more Robinhoods.

I have always believed the heart and soul of a country is how that country takes care of the middle class and the poor. I have made that clear in my posts over and over again.

I also believe that charity does no good. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. I have posted this many times.

It's the right wing who wants to screw the elderly and the middle class. How many threads have I started where I asked the right wing what they are doing to support the American Middle Class. Time and again, right wingers say "screw the lazy bastards" in one form or another.

The middle class do not need to be taken care of, they just need to be left alone.

Come to think of it, we really do not need to take care of the poor, we just need to give them the opportunity to make some money.

Tell me something, why do you keep blaming Republicans for cutting Medicare and Medicaid when Obamacare cuts almost $5 trillion from them and you do not raise a peep about it?

No, whoring is quoting people you think are crazy to score political points.

I do not kiss anyone's feet, but I would rather do that than be you. You are a person who kisses politicians asses because they have a (D) behind their name.

• You claim to love science, yet you cheer when Obama kills our manned space program.
  • You claim to hate torture, but you defend it when Obama builds secret prisons in Somalia because he lets them take the lead in torture.
  • You claim Bush's policies but you have no problem with Obama when he continues them and magnifies them.
Come to think of it, calling you a whore is an insult to whores. I apologize to whores everywhere.

To those with mystical beliefs, bearing false witness is a sin that will leave you burning in Hell for all eternity.
Obama didn't kill our manned space program, he changed the goal, one you don't like or understand, so you insist he killed it.
I defend secret prisons? That makes you a lying sack of shit.
Bush's policies all failed. How is Obama continuing them? Bush let Bin Laden go, Obama got him.

I'm sorry if you can't accept what you obviously are. But that's on you, not me. You need to deal with your own issues. And if you are going to make accusations, prove them but don't lie. Lying is unbecoming.

Last edited by a moderator:

The middle class do not need to be taken care of, they just need to be left alone.

Come to think of it, we really do not need to take care of the poor, we just need to give them the opportunity to make some money.

Tell me something, why do you keep blaming Republicans for cutting Medicare and Medicaid when Obamacare cuts almost $5 trillion from them and you do not raise a peep about it?

5 trillion? Because it never happened?

Forum List

Back