CDZ Churches - Tax Exempt Status

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
Should religious institutions retain Tax Exempt status?
Why or why not?

No.

No business should be tax exempt including so called charities.

Businesses like churches and charities still use the resources of the public domain and therefore should pay their share

Churches should be taxed like everyone else. That would of course have the added benefit of freeing them to speak from the pulpit on any political issue of their choosing without fear of the blackmail of losing tax-exempt status.

Charities, and funds collected by churches for charitable use should NOT be taxed.

I have not read up on this and am no expert, however, if they lose tax exempt status, would this mean that people that give regularly to the church (tithe) would no longer be able to use that as an itemized deduction?

If that is the case, Church income (will most likely) drop significantly. I'm not saying it's RIGHT that people only tithe or give to the church because it has the benefit of being an itemized deduction, but, there are a lot of people that go to church that are not even Christians and/or are more concerned about their income than the Church surviving....

I have not read up on this and am no expert, however, if they lose tax exempt status, would this mean that people that give regularly to the church (tithe) would no longer be able to use that as an itemized deduction?

If that is the case, Church income (will most likely) drop significantly. I'm not saying it's RIGHT that people only tithe or give to the church because it has the benefit of being an itemized deduction, but, there are a lot of people that go to church that are not even Christians and/or are more concerned about their income than the Church surviving....

If someone is tithing for the tax deduction they are doing it for the wrong reasons

Churches should be taxed like everyone else. That would of course have the added benefit of freeing them to speak from the pulpit on any political issue of their choosing without fear of the blackmail of losing tax-exempt status.

Charities, and funds collected by churches for charitable use should NOT be taxed.
Some churches have not signed up for tax exemption.

That can, and do, say what they like.

Some churches have not signed up for tax exemption.

That can, and do, say what they like.

Then they are not included in this issue, of course.

Any more obviousness to state?

Only about 20% of taxpayers even itemize deductions, so most contributions to churches do not benefit the donor on their tax returns. Most of the benefit of charitable contributions inure to the benefit of taxpayers who make large contributions, often in the millions, and usually to institutions such as hospitals, symphonies, ballet companies, and so forth that provide services to the public such as the donors. Most contributions to Oxfam, Goodwill, churches for free clinics and homeless shelters, etc. come from small donors. The IRS Statistics of Income (SOI) support this proposition.

Why or why not?
If it's a "REAL" church, a house of worship, a house of GOD, yes. If it actually serves the community, serves the people, and conducts ONLY church business, yes. If it's a so-called church, a mega $Million operation, sucking off of the people to gain fame, wealth, and influence, the answer is HELL NO. If it gets involved in politics, enormous TV contracts, allows the leader to become a multi-$millionaire, and building multi-$Million compounds, HELL NO.

Todays' churches are nothing more than money making machines. One would have to look very hard to find a real church these days. Leaders of churches are wearing $900.00 Italian suits, driving expensive cars, traveling, building mansions, and using selling religion for their own benefit and wealth. I say tax them to the hilt.

Why or why not?
If it's a "REAL" church, a house of worship, a house of GOD, yes. If it actually serves the community, serves the people, and conducts ONLY church business, yes. If it's a so-called church, a mega $Million operation, sucking off of the people to gain fame, wealth, and influence, the answer is HELL NO. If it gets involved in politics, enormous TV contracts, allows the leader to become a multi-$millionaire, and building multi-$Million compounds, HELL NO.

Todays' churches are nothing more than money making machines. One would have to look very hard to find a real church these days. Leaders of churches are wearing $900.00 Italian suits, driving expensive cars, traveling, building mansions, and using selling religion for their own benefit and wealth. I say tax them to the hilt.

I don't have a hard line stance on this - but I do feel like you do regarding the "false Churches" - and there are many! Operating under the "guise" of a church or a Christian organization and the are anything but...

So they ruin it for a small church like the one I attend, that has an average of 80 attendees and a food bank that is open Tuesdays for the needy. I'm pretty sure it's coming (removal of tax-exempt status).....

Why or why not?

I don't have a hard line stance on this - but I do feel like you do regarding the "false Churches" - and there are many! Operating under the "guise" of a church or a Christian organization and the are anything but...

So they ruin it for a small church like the one I attend, that has an average of 80 attendees and a food bank that is open Tuesdays for the needy. I'm pretty sure it's coming (removal of tax-exempt status).....
You are absolutely correct. There are "real" churches out there. Yes, some churchs serve the community and do GOD's work, I agree. Yes, usually, the small churches are "real" churches. But, the mega churches that are run like a corporation should be taxed to the hilt in my opinion.

Last edited:
Why or why not?

Depends.
I believe they should have to comply with the same rules as other non-profits.
Case in point, your "super churches".
Complete with bowling lanes, game rooms, in house coffee/no alcohol "sports bars" complete with multiple wide screen TV's. Indoor basketball courts...etc. etc. etc.
Church officers and "ministers" making 6-7 figure incomes.
NO - this should not be non taxable.

The real problem is the 94% of church members that by their own testimony give no sign of actual possession of salvation/repentence as opposed to profession of same. Tax-exempt status also applies to literal temples to Satan. I suspect the actual church would be strengthened by a loss of tax-status.

The real problem is the 94% of church members that by their own testimony give no sign of actual possession of salvation/repentence as opposed to profession of same. Tax-exempt status also applies to literal temples to Satan. I suspect the actual church would be strengthened by a loss of tax-status.

My emphasis...
That is good food for thought. What is the object of a church, or should be?
One would think first of course to save souls, but a close second should be community service. Helping poor, invalids and the elderly etc.
Pretty hard to convince me the objective is the latter when a church spends $100,000's on entertainment and $millions on salaries.
I think you may be right. Maybe not your struggling small churches, but certainly the mega churches that are everywhere now.

Many churches violate their tax exempt status by talking politics and doing political advocacy. It's a slippery slope so to make things fair tax the churches and tax them hard.

By law you can give 50% of your gross income to your church making it so you only pay tax on the other 50%. SCAM!

Forum List

Back