Church to burn Qurans on 9/11

YWN666

Freelance Beer Tester
Nov 11, 2008
There are no words to describe such utter ignorance...............

Florida Church planning to burn Qurans on 9/11 | Tom Mendelsohn | Independent Editor's choice Blogs

A Florida church is planning to burn a stack of Qurans on 11th September this year, in a tasteful effort to commemorate the ninth anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Centre.

The Dove World Outreach Center, a non-denominational church in Gainesville, is charmingly trying to rebrand 9/11 as International Burn A Koran Day. If you’re interested, there’s a Facebook group for it. The info tab has a succinct little mission statement, which you may find illuminative:

Mission: To bring to awareness to the dangers of Islam and that the Koran is leading people to hell. Eternal fire is the only destination the Koran can lead people to so we want to put the Koran in it’s place – the fire!

The Dove Center, which describes itself as ‘a New Testament Church – based on the Bible, the Word of God’, has a bit of a history of making, shall we say, provocative statements about Islam. Its pastor and proprietor Dr Terry Jones recently published a sober treatise entitled Islam Is Of The Devil, while he also has a history of opposing things like homosexuality, same-sex marriage and abortion. If anyone is in Gainsville on 2nd August, for instance, you might like to swing by the City Hall at lunch time and join in the fun at the church’s ‘No Homo Mayor’ protest.

And in case anyone else was wondering what they really felt, they also have a massive sign outside their church, also saying ‘Islam Is Of The Devil’:

It’s all deeply unpleasant, of course, and easy to mock, but unpleasant anti-Islam sentiments like these really do seem to be on the rise in the US. There’s a huge battle going on in New York over whether an entirely benign Muslim community centre – which would also contain a mosque – can be built near Ground Zero, for instance, while a mosque in Jacksonville, also in Florida, was firebombed earlier this year. It’s getting easier to draw parallels between the rise of the religious right and these kinds of tensions, and I really wouldn’t like to say we’ve reached their height, either, not by a long shot: brace yourselves for a good deal more of this unpleasantness as the new American right grows its fangs.

The Dove World Outreach Center, meanwhile, was subjected to an expose about the way it pays its taxes last year in The Gainesville Sun, while they were investigated for potential financial impropriety in March this year. It hasn’t really taken the wind out of their sails, however. You’ll note that, in the picture above, Dr Jones has a picture of himself flanked by Abraham Lincoln and George Washington – a little detail I’ll let speak for itself. His Youtube channel – named, without even a pinch of hubris, the Braveheart Show – is worth a watch if, like me, you relish the demagoguery of hateful maniacs.

Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man am Ende auch Menschen.

Nothing like a big ol' Book BBQ to show how much better 'we' are than those 'other' religious nutcases.

GOD GAVE US THE FIIIIIIRE!!!!

I remember some other group burning books.....let me think....it will come to me......:eusa_whistle:

Godwin's law. I also remember a liberal group not to long ago wanting to burn books, let me think on it a while. It will come to me.

one reason i dont care for the new ussc nominie is her statements on book banning etc...i dont trust anyone who wants to ban or burn books......they are simply ideas

Pretty much on par with flag burning going by the OP.

So long as they are burning their own copies, who cares?

Free speech is free speech, and fark anyone who can't take a joke.

Here, so people don't have to talk in "Code" is a timeline of some Book Burnings:

book burnings - Google Search
no need to talk in code
i doubt Godwin's law was meant to be implemented in this case
book burning is straight out of the Nazi handbook
Book burning well predates the Nazi's. The Chinese did it, and the Romans, Muslim's and Christians if you take into account the library of Alexandria:

Destruction of the Library

Ancient and modern sources identify four possible occasions for the partial or complete destruction of the Library of Alexandria:

1. Julius Caesar's Fire in The Alexandrian War, in 48 BCE
  2. The attack of Aurelian in the third century CE;
  3. The decree of Coptic Pope Theophilus in CE 391;
  4. The Muslim conquest in CE 642 or thereafter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Alexandria#Destruction_of_the_Library

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_burning#Chronology_of_notable_book_burning_incidents

Last edited:
Pretty much on par with flag burning going by the OP.

So long as they are burning their own copies, who cares?

Free speech is free speech, and fark anyone who can't take a joke.
you should check out this places web page
i'd put them about on par with WBC

Welcome to Dove World Outreach Center | Dove World Outreach Center

Pretty ugly.

I'll grant they seem like a nasty bunch but those are usually the only folks whose free speech need protecting. No one cares about unoffensive speech after all. Plus its an ignorent protest. IMHO book burning is only a moral/legal problem when you burn other people's books. When your a small fry, whaky club of haters... not much of a problem in my book. (so to speak)

Of course it's totally within their legal and civil rights to buy books and burn them.

We're just commenting on how moronic it is to do so.
yeah, how bright is it to basically give money to something you don't like so you can destroy what you bought:cuckoo:

koran_flush1.jpg

I like it!!! Christians can Burn Korans..Jews can burn new testements ... Muszlems can burn both testements. Buddists can burn themselves. A huge fuckin UNHOLY HOLY WAR!!!! Right the fuck ONNNNN!!!!!!!! Perfect. We need more breathing space...and free oil!! When the war is over we'll just go and take it..who's left to stop us? Let the religious morons kill each other off and the world will truly be a more perfect place. Less crowded...less ignorance.. what's not to like?

BURN BABY BURN!!!!

Of course it's totally within their legal and civil rights to buy books and burn them.

We're just commenting on how moronic it is to do so.
yeah, how bright is it to basically give money to something you don't like so you can destroy what you bought:cuckoo:

That's exactly what I was thinking. If I were the publisher/distributer/bookstore owner this would be grand news. Imagine that:

... In a small Muslim bookstore somewhere in Florida...

Ahmed: Mahmoud, a group of radical fundamentalist Christians is going to burn hundreds of Qurans in the City Square!
Mahmoud: That is just terrible news, Ahmed. Those crazy fundamentalist Christians... Insulting the Prophet, and Islam... I do just don't feel safe in this town anymore.
Ahmed: I know. The worst part with this recession climate and all we had to sell them the Prophet's book.
Mahmoud: ... How many did they take?
Ahmed: All of them. Even the nice, expensive ones. Some 1,000 copies... all to be burnt.
Mahmoud: 1,000 COPIES?! WE HAVEN'T EVEN SOLD 1,000 THE WHOLE YEAR! PRAISED BE MOHAMMAD! ALLAHU AKBAR!! WE'RE SAVED!! Quick, call Said, we're heading over to the Christian bookstore to show them a real BBQ.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back